Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

tiberiade wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:29 am
Why should I be adding layers of tape when GP5000 S TR and P Zero tyres fit without effort? There's value in simplicity. If that's what you have to do for these tyres, then Tufo should provide the tape, not me.
Of course, figure out what works best for you and stick with that. My point is about you asking for special treatment from Tufo.

Those two tires work with your rims. Other tires (including Tufo) might not. You'll see it in other tire threads. Both wheel and tire can be "in spec' for this to happen, because specs have a range. But you're making it sound like something is wrong with the tires, which may not be the case at all (as confirmed by Tufo).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiberiade

by tiberiade

kavide wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:26 pm
tiberiade wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:29 pm
I heard back from Tufo — they're declining my claim as the tyre inflates on their 19mm IW rim. I had previously told them my rims are 21mm internal but they don't seem to care much and want to send the tyre back to me. I've attached their answer.

This is the kind of support I simply don't want to ever have to deal with so I just won't buy their products again.
I got mine replaced with no problems some months ago. Just had to send them in to CZ on my own bill. Had ordered online some 28mm that came out more than wam 31mm tubeless on my 21mm hooked rim, so it didn't clear my frame. I expected more of a 29 to max 30mm.
Tufo replaced them for 25mm as I asked for it. However the 25mm that came are just little over 26mm on that same rim. I would have liked it to be 28mm WAM.
So now i bought another 28mm tire and run in on the front as 31mm and the 25mm one in the back.
That gives me lots of comfort and confidence in cornering and braking. Actually compared to GP5000 it really feels a much softer ride.

my prefered pressure with this setup is 4,5bar front, 5,5 bar back. 74kg bike + rider.

For tubeless setup:
The 25mm went up just fine with the pump.
The 28mm on the other side is a little more difficult (all 3 of them!). Didn't even work with compressed air. My best way so far is to soap up one side of the bead, mount it with a tube so it sets. Then remove the tube and hope that only the soaped up side will slide out the rimbead. Put tubeless valve in and pump it up using a tire booster or compressed air. After that i put the sealant through the valve.
Your experience feels very similar to mine: a 25mm that only inflates to 26mm on a 21mm internal rim.

Continuing with my Tufo testing, I tried mounting tubeless 28mm tyres on my WR50 and same issue — wouldn't inflate. I took it to another bike shop (Giant) and they couldn't make it happen. That set is currently run with TPUs as a result. I did 100km with it at the weekend and I can tell they're great tyres, especially in terms of grip. But obviously, the TPUs don't give that smooth tubeless feeling and so I'll just have to give up on the tyres.

It's a total of 300 EUR wasted on Tufo tyres that won't mount on 2 different sets of rims. I tried, 2 shops tried, end of it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Finally mounted my 28s.

At 60psi on 25mm rims, they measure out to 31.7mm initially. I expect this to increase to >32mm with break-in. The tires did not seat with a plain floor pump on my LB WR50 without spoke holes. I suspect they might have with two layers of smooth PET tape. They did seat easily with my AirShot canister pumped up to 170psi, first attempt with both tires. Fillmore valves are the only other variable. The tires mounted without levers, but it wasn't terribly easy. I think the sidewalls on these tires are just extremely supple and the rubber on the bead is overly grippy. The mounted tires are very consistent in width.

If multiple shop mechanics can't get these seated, then I'm afraid they're all incompetent.

e: Popping the beads off the bead shelf was a little too easy though. When I popped one section off, about 20cm worth of bead popped off, which is unusual.

e2: 32.1mm after a couple days.

Erwin

by Erwin

I have put a 25mm on a 24mm wide rim. Have to mount it with a tube first and then removed one side and put the tubeless valve in. Had no chance to seat the 25mm tire with an air compressor. First it measures 28.1mm, after 275km it measures 28.6mm at 4 bar.

The 28mm tire could be mounted straight forward on my 24mm wide rim. Initially it measures 30.7mm, now exactly 31mm at 3.9 bar.

I have ridden 2x 28mm (front/back) Comture Prima at the same, but deeper rims. After 1500km they still look good. They are now 31.2mm wide. I like the tires, but also ride a GP5000 TT/S TR at the other bike and like them too.
Last edited by Erwin on Sun May 12, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

gruppetto wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm
I have practical experience with two sets of Comtura Prima tires now and you just keep on quoting arbitary numbers that have no correlation to the actual wear-rate.
Please, ride your tires for more than 2.000km.

This tire was ridden less than 1.750km, as you can see from the knurl, the tire did not lose match of your quoted thickness. Is it still rideable?
Looking at how narrow that wear pattern is, did you ride them at 120psi?

I'm at over 1000km now including some gravel and cobbles. Even the rear tire still has the center mold seam, and I'm 85kg riding at 65psi.
Attachments
20240511_141157.jpg

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

Same experience here. My tires are still in good condition. I rode more than 2200km, ride competition and group rides. The only thing I did (what I also do with other brnads) is changing back to front and visa versa. This i did at 2000km.
Ride 25mm (28.3 mm AMW) at 5,6-5,8 bar.

tiberiade

by tiberiade

If anyone in the UK or Europe wants a discounted set of 28mm with tan, DM me. I just can't get them to work tubeless :noidea:

jlok

by jlok

tiberiade wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 pm
If anyone in the UK or Europe wants a discounted set of 28mm with tan, DM me. I just can't get them to work tubeless :noidea:
I had almost given up but eventually seated the tire. I needed four times of air booster at 160psi to get it seated.

-2 layers of tubeless tape
-Plenty of soapy water as lubricant for the beads
-Remove valve core for maximum air flow from booster
-Inner tube trick to seat the first bead and try the aboves again
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:43 pm
tiberiade wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 4:38 pm
I had almost given up but eventually seated the tire. I needed four times of air booster at 160psi to get it seated.

-2 layers of tubeless tape
-Plenty of soapy water as lubricant for the beads
-Remove valve core for maximum air flow from booster
-Inner tube trick to seat the first bead and try the aboves again
Which booster? I always go to 170psi with my AirShot can because 160psi wasn’t cutting it. The AirShot has the highest flow rate out of everything tested. Also hold down the section of the tire around the valve with your hand to make that immediate area airtight.

jlok

by jlok

Schwalbe, which is a rebrand, but I forgot who. I should have gone 2 layers instead of 1.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 6:30 am
Schwalbe, which is a rebrand, but I forgot who. I should have gone 2 layers instead of 1.

Definitely a rebranded AirShot. Yeah overpressurize it to 170psi and open the valve while your hand is grabbing the tire around the valve area.

alanyu

by alanyu

BRR released Enve Raceday 29C results. Pretty impressive. Compared to 28C GP 5000 STR and 28C Tufo Comtura Prima, it's faster than GP, lighter and gripper than Tufo, puncture resistance is in-between. It's the new king

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

MarcFaFo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 7:21 am
Same experience here. My tires are still in good condition. I rode more than 2200km, ride competition and group rides. The only thing I did (what I also do with other brnads) is changing back to front and visa versa. This i did at 2000km.
Ride 25mm (28.3 mm AMW) at 5,6-5,8 bar.
I'm at 1650km now and they still look great. Front tire has a clearly visible seam around most of the tire. The rear only recently faded and is visible in just a few places. The tires are also still round, unlike my GP5k on another bike which started to square off around this time. I'd be shocked if they last less than 3000km and I'm riding some cobbles/gravel with then.

Also very happy with puncture resistance. If I start or finish my rides at home, I have to pass through some areas that have a lot of glass on the road (clubs/bars). I've pulled out many small pieces when getting home but they didn't puncture the Vectran breakers, since no sealant came out when I pulled them out.

I still don't understand how Tufo managed to keep them so light.
Attachments
20240602_115357.jpg
20240602_115605.jpg

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

I had my first set of Tufo's on for 3000km. Changed them for new ones now after 950km the back wheel exposes the red layer underneath. :( :( :(.
Hmm this is not what I had expected. On the look out for new brand of tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com