Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tiberiade

by tiberiade

I heard back from Tufo — they're declining my claim as the tyre inflates on their 19mm IW rim. I had previously told them my rims are 21mm internal but they don't seem to care much and want to send the tyre back to me. I've attached their answer.

This is the kind of support I simply don't want to ever have to deal with so I just won't buy their products again.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 1.28.25 PM.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

Tyres can be a lot smaller when mounting them with a tube, especially if you measure directly after mounting. They might just inflate normally to over 28 mm if you set them up tubeless
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

tiberiade

by tiberiade

Aeo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:55 pm
Tyres can be a lot smaller when mounting them with a tube, especially if you measure directly after mounting. They might just inflate normally to over 28 mm if you set them up tubeless
Setting up tubeless was my goal, but impossible to get them to inflate (my LBS tried all the tricks).

alanyu

by alanyu

New endurance 7 TR model, only in 28C currently, 295g. Based on their chart, it's more suitalbe for everyday using, if you are not chasing the weight.

https://www.tufo.com/en/products/detail/endurance7tr/

Aeo

by Aeo

tiberiade wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:04 pm
Aeo wrote:
Setting up tubeless was my goal, but impossible to get them to inflate (my LBS tried all the tricks).
Also impossible if you mount them with a tube, let them sit for a day, then only breaking the bead from the rim on one side and removing the tube through that side?
Sucks but sometimes that is the only way of mounting
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

tiberiade

by tiberiade

Aeo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:16 pm
tiberiade wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:04 pm
Aeo wrote:
Also impossible if you mount them with a tube, let them sit for a day, then only breaking the bead from the rim on one side and removing the tube through that side?
Sucks but sometimes that is the only way of mounting
Yep, the tyre is so supple that I wouldn't be able to remove just one side… I shouldn't have to leave it with a tube for a day anyway.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another trick to seating a loose tire is using straps to press the tire down against the rim bed.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

tiberiade wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:50 pm
Yep, the tyre is so supple that I wouldn't be able to remove just one side… I shouldn't have to leave it with a tube for a day anyway.
Being supple has nothing to do with staying on, though. It's all about how tight the bead is on the rim. It sounds like you just need an extra layer of tape.

Mounting with a tube first is best practice anyway. It helps push the tape down evenly and completely on the rim after installation.

What "tricks" did your LBS use, if not these?

tiberiade

by tiberiade

The ones you listed and CO2 cartridges. Maybe you're fine with waiting a day for a tyre to work with a rim, but I'm not. Life's too short for that. There's plenty of tyres that just work with just about any rim, hand-mounted and inflated with a traditional pump.

As a side note, I don't need rim tape for those wheels, so that's not the issue.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

The ones I listed including adding tape? If you don't have spoke holes that can be precisely why you need to add tape. Without tape, the rim bed diameter can be too small. It's the case for multiple tire/wheel combinations. The point of adding a layer or two of tape is to increase the diameter of the rim bed, which will hold the tire bead in place.

alanyu

by alanyu

People buy rims without back holes because they don't want the hassle taping and/or the extra weight of the tape.

Since he can do plenty of other tyres tubeless on his rim without issue, then the only answer is his Tufo is out of spec, not his rim.

P. S., I can set up Comtura 5 TR on my wheelset just with a floor pump w/o tape at the first try (3~4 shots).

tiberiade

by tiberiade

Why should I be adding layers of tape when GP5000 S TR and P Zero tyres fit without effort? There's value in simplicity. If that's what you have to do for these tyres, then Tufo should provide the tape, not me.

tiberiade

by tiberiade

alanyu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:49 am
People buy rims without back holes because they don't want the hassle taping and/or the extra weight of the tape.

Since he can do plenty of other tyres tubeless on his rim without issue, then the only answer is his Tufo is out of spec, not his rim.

P. S., I can set up Comtura 5 TR on my wheelset just with a floor pump w/o tape at the first try (3~4 shots).
You're a lucky man. What rims are you on? I'm on AR565

alanyu

by alanyu

tiberiade wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:34 am
alanyu wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:49 am

You're a lucky man. What rims are you on? I'm on AR565
AR56-28 rim brake

kavide

by kavide

tiberiade wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:29 pm
I heard back from Tufo — they're declining my claim as the tyre inflates on their 19mm IW rim. I had previously told them my rims are 21mm internal but they don't seem to care much and want to send the tyre back to me. I've attached their answer.

This is the kind of support I simply don't want to ever have to deal with so I just won't buy their products again.
I got mine replaced with no problems some months ago. Just had to send them in to CZ on my own bill. Had ordered online some 28mm that came out more than wam 31mm tubeless on my 21mm hooked rim, so it didn't clear my frame. I expected more of a 29 to max 30mm.
Tufo replaced them for 25mm as I asked for it. However the 25mm that came are just little over 26mm on that same rim. I would have liked it to be 28mm WAM.
So now i bought another 28mm tire and run in on the front as 31mm and the 25mm one in the back.
That gives me lots of comfort and confidence in cornering and braking. Actually compared to GP5000 it really feels a much softer ride.

my prefered pressure with this setup is 4,5bar front, 5,5 bar back. 74kg bike + rider.

For tubeless setup:
The 25mm went up just fine with the pump.
The 28mm on the other side is a little more difficult (all 3 of them!). Didn't even work with compressed air. My best way so far is to soap up one side of the bead, mount it with a tube so it sets. Then remove the tube and hope that only the soaped up side will slide out the rimbead. Put tubeless valve in and pump it up using a tire booster or compressed air. After that i put the sealant through the valve.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com