Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jlok

by jlok

I have the 25mm and the total width is 67mm with 28mm of tread. Relatively easy to install on my AR45 rim (1 layer of masking tape) and requires compressor to seat the beads. Measured width when installed is 27.6mm at 73psi. Will measure again one week later.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alastair2308

by Alastair2308

Seriously thinking about getting these to replace my GP5000's. Any one tried these with some latex tubes in them? How do they ride compared to GP5000's?

TomSte

by TomSte

Would you recommend the 28mm version for a 25mm inner width rim (30mm extrenal) or better wait for the 30mm version comming soon?

emotive

by emotive

TomSte wrote:Would you recommend the 28mm version for a 25mm inner width rim (30mm extrenal) or better wait for the 30mm version comming soon?
Depends what Width As Measured tyre size you want.

The 28mm has a Width As Measured on a 25 inner (WAM25) of 32.6mm. I guess the 30mm will have a WAM25 of 34mm?

The 30mm will be better for heavy riders where the optimal pressure in the 28mm is above 72psi. Or light gravel. Or really rough tarmac.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

emotive wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 pm
The 28mm has a Width As Measured on a 25 inner (WAM25) of 32.6mm. I guess the 30mm will have a WAM25 of 34mm?
No, they are relabeling the line because they realized it's oversized. The new 30mm tire will be the current 28m.

TomSte

by TomSte

wreckulator wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:58 pm
I've been riding the 28mm nominal tire mounted to 25mm internal rims for about 500mi at ~60psi. Front and rear measure 32.6mm. They feel pretty good so far. Not as supple as Corsa Pros, but less punctures and way less debris getting thrown into the frame.
Are these rims hookless?

Are the Comturas hookless approved?

wreckulator

by wreckulator

The rims are hooked and without spoke holes, so no tape (LB WR50). The Tufo website says they're hookless compatible though.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

And hook vs hookless should not affect WAM for a given IW

TomSte

by TomSte

I've contacted Tufo and they replied directly saying that the Comtura is hookless approved and they recomnend 28mm for IW 23mm. 👍

emotive

by emotive

BigBoyND wrote:
emotive wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 pm
No, they are relabeling the line because they realized it's oversized. The new 30mm tire will be the current 28m.
They were working on wider sizes so maybe the new sizes will just be released as 32mm and 34mm?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

No, the CS rep specifically told me they are relabelling them to be closer to measured width.

Wouldn't make much sense to have 25mm/28mm tires be oversized and then 32mm/34mm be TTS

jlok

by jlok

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:54 am
No, the CS rep specifically told me they are relabelling them to be closer to measured width.

Wouldn't make much sense to have 25mm/28mm tires be oversized and then 32mm/34mm be TTS
How can we tell if we are buying the relabelled? New package?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Let's see when they release them. Surely they will make it possible to tell.

TomSte

by TomSte

I'm really disappointed with the Tufo tyres. I recently tried to install 28mm Comtura Primas on my Zipp 303s hookless wheels 23mm IW, but making it tubeless didn't work at all. The installation of the tyres was far too easy, so they sat much too lose on the rims. Thus it was impossible to create enough pressure that the tyres jumped completely onto the rim. There was always too much space between the rim and the tyre. Just to make it clear: I work with an air compressor.
Additionally, I had a very bad feeling with riding tyres being that lose on the rims since they might jump off the rims easily. It's much better with tyres that could barely be installed by hand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

TomSte wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:03 pm
I'm really disappointed with the Tufo tyres. I recently tried to install 28mm Comtura Primas on my Zipp 303s hookless wheels 23mm IW, but making it tubeless didn't work at all. The installation of the tyres was far too easy, so they sat much too lose on the rims. Thus it was impossible to create enough pressure that the tyres jumped completely onto the rim. There was always too much space between the rim and the tyre. Just to make it clear: I work with an air compressor.
Additionally, I had a very bad feeling with riding tyres being that lose on the rims since they might jump off the rims easily. It's much better with tyres that could barely be installed by hand.
I share with you the same experience. It's on my Light Bicycle AR45 hooked rim with single layer tape. Too loose, took me 5-6 attempts of booster to seat the beads of my 25mm Comtura. Maybe I will try 2 layers of rim tape (using Tesa 50600) next time. Don't wanna give up this supple tire as the tread coverage is very high and it's probably the lightest TLR tire with anti-puncture belt.