Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Tread thickness on the 28mm tire is the same as a 28mm S TR. So unless it is super soft, it should last as long as the GP5k

gruppetto

by gruppetto

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:34 am
Tread thickness on the 28mm tire is the same as a 28mm S TR. So unless it is super soft, it should last as long as the GP5k
It does not. The thread thickness does not indicate how much actual track has been vulcanized on the tire, how soft it is and how prone it is to abrasion. I have practical experience with two sets of Comtura Prima tires now and you just keep on quoting arbitary numbers that have no correlation to the actual wear-rate.
Please, ride your tires for more than 2.000km.

This tire was ridden less than 1.750km, as you can see from the knurl, the tire did not lose match of your quoted thickness. Is it still rideable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

gruppetto wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:04 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
It does not. The thread thickness does not indicate how much actual track has been vulcanized on the tire, how soft it is and how prone it is to abrasion. I have practical experience with two sets of Comtura Prima tires now and you just keep on quoting arbitary numbers that have no correlation to the actual wear-rate.

This tire was ridden less than 1.750km, as you can see from the knurl, the tire did not lose match of your quoted thickness. Is it still rideable?
The tread is far thicker on the Enve SES, so I didn't wear through it like this, but I've also seen substantial wear at 1500-1750km on them. I usually replace them at 2000km due to their susceptibility to cuts once the tread is thinner and more brittle. Lighter riders on better roads will do better, but the race compound (for lack of a better term) that Tufo use is very soft. In my use case, despite much lower tread wear, S TR won't last any longer than that (sometimes much less) as their puncture resistance is so much lower and large cuts or punctures are common. If you ride on good surfaces with little debris, you'd be better off running S TRs. If you ride on poor surfaces with debris, the Tufos may suit you better, particularly if you're lightweight and wear may be more limited.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

gruppetto wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

What does this have to do with tread thickness? I responded to a post which said it's thin. I responded it's the same as S TR, which it is (2.2mm).

Everything you say appears to be true.... yet the tire is still 2.2mm. Sorry that offended you somehow.

Btw, why is your wear so uneven? Are you skidding to a stop?

da123

by da123

Mounted my 25mm Comtura's today on Roval Rapide CLX Gen1. They were tricky to get on the rims, but once on they inflated fine with a foot pump, without needing removal of the valve core (Topeak Twin Turbo). Certainly much easier than my Conti GP5000 TT TLRs. They come up wide as others have said. On the Rovals, both front and rear are hitting 28mm.

One point to note on BRR's rolling resistance test (which I hadn't appreciated, but am sure others have - so sorry if I'm repeating something already said), the small difference in RR between these and the STRs is really only at very high pressures. At the pressures most people will be running them at, the difference is closer to 3w per tire. No idea whether I'll feel it on the road or not, but something I perhaps wish I'd thought through properly before I pulled the trigger.

gruppetto

by gruppetto

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:16 pm
Btw, why is your wear so uneven? Are you skidding to a stop?
Yes, I did all my Alleycats on those wheels.

It is the front tire. What you see is a result of the fact, that the vulcanization of a tire is not even on a micrometer scale.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

da123 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:03 pm
One point to note on BRR's rolling resistance test (which I hadn't appreciated, but am sure others have - so sorry if I'm repeating something already said), the small difference in RR between these and the STRs is really only at very high pressures. At the pressures most people will be running them at, the difference is closer to 3w per tire. No idea whether I'll feel it on the road or not, but something I perhaps wish I'd thought through properly before I pulled the trigger.
Well not quite. If you follow the Silca calculator, you end up between high and extra high pressure on BRR's scale, where the difference is 1.5W. Keep in mind the weight that BRR uses, which is for an 85kg rider. If you lower the pressure because you're 70kg, then the casing hysteresis will be the same (if you follow Silca's curve) and thus the rolling resistance will also be equivalent.

I'm 85kg, so I can conveniently use BRR's pressures at face value. But at other weights you need to adjust accordingly.

da123

by da123

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:10 am
da123 wrote:
Well not quite. If you follow the Silca calculator, you end up between high and extra high pressure on BRR's scale, where the difference is 1.5W. Keep in mind the weight that BRR uses, which is for an 85kg rider. If you lower the pressure because you're 70kg, then the casing hysteresis will be the same (if you follow Silca's curve) and thus the rolling resistance will also be equivalent.

I'm 85kg, so I can conveniently use BRR's pressures at face value. But at other weights you need to adjust accordingly.
Good point - you're right, I hadn't factored in rider weight, so yes my analysis was too simplistic. I'm 63kilos though, so the RR difference is going to be at the higher end for me.

garbageman

by garbageman

da123 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:23 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:10 am
da123 wrote:

Good point - you're right, I hadn't factored in rider weight, so yes my analysis was too simplistic. I'm 63kilos though, so the RR difference is going to be at the higher end for me.
Note that the 42.5 kg load that BRR uses would represent a total system weight of 85 kg, not an 85 kg rider.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Sure. If we want to be pedantic, add bike weight and the pressure will change by 1-2 psi.

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

Today I received the Tufo Comtura Prima 25c TR Black/Beige
Directly. weighed them, the scales showed for both tires 213 grams.
Quite a bit lower than expected :-).

da123

by da123

First ride on my 25mm Comtura Prima's today. Set up tubeless with Muc-off sealant. 83 psi rear, 80 psi front (64kg rider). Quite high, partially because I think they perform better from RR perspective at higher pressures. Previous set up on same wheelset was GP5000 25mm with RideNow TPU tubes @75 psi rear, 72 psi rear. Overall, very impressed. Clearly more supple than the GP5000 / TPU set up, even at the higher pressure. Felt fast, and was a quick ride (42 miles, 20.6mph, 2100 ft climbing). Grip was good (roads were mix of dry and wet, 4 - 7 degrees C), and bike felt stable and confident in the corners. Silent rolling, which was nice (not that the GP5000s made noise, but some tires (for example Maxxis High Road SL), do). Obviously can't comment on longevity after such a short test, but like what I've experienced so far.

uquality

by uquality

uquality wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:42 pm
Just installed my pair of 28C from R2-bike on my Light Bicycle WR38 rims.
Put them on the rim with no sealant without too much struggle. Would not inflate with a floor pump and no sealant.
Got them to seal easily with 30ml of sealant and an air compressor.

They SO LIGHT AND THIN. I ride less than 3000km on the road each year so not to worried about durability, but we'll see how they go.
It's winter so I haven't touched them since mounting, but they feel as hard today as when I pumped them up. So little air loss is impressive.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

gruppetto wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Same experience over here. Mine didn't even last that long. Had to replace both tires after the first week of training camp on Mallorca.
Great feeling tire, but not worth it overall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

So... are the current 25mm Comturas running big or normal? In BRRs comments, there are hints that actually the 28mm ones might only be "big", the 25mm should be true to size (also, considering their super low weight).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike