Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RDY

by RDY

Has anyone tried it yet? Tufo seem confident it's very fast, and still retains some of the puncture resistance of the Comtura 4 TR.

It's on the BRR voting list ... touch and go whether it meets the vote requirements in the next 6 weeks.

alanyu

by alanyu

I'm also interested in Comtura Prime. I used 5 TR this winter, the most comfort tubeless I have ever used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Forgot to add, apparently the 30mm version is due this autumn and the 32mm a little later.

emotive

by emotive

Would be good to see it tested, I've voted for it in the hope it gets up. Very pleased with their gravel tyres. Would be great if their road tyres are competitive with the top-tier brands.

warthog101

by warthog101

We had a very bad run with their gravel tyres locally. They just don't handle our sharp flinty gravel. Even punched a stick through my Speedero.
I'd give these road goers a try if I can get hold of some.

RDY

by RDY

Currently in a winning position (assuming it remains so at the end of the month).

I suspect these may take the title of best fast, high resistance all weather tire (Criterium RS being the dry weather analogue).

txg

by txg

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... a-prima-tr

Looks like an excellent tire, but seems to be rather wide. The 28mm measures 30mm even on an 18mm rim. Probably too wide for my rims with 23 inner / 30 outer diameter.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

txg wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:42 am
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... a-prima-tr

Looks like an excellent tire, but seems to be rather wide. The 28mm measures 30mm even on an 18mm rim. Probably too wide for my rims with 23 inner / 30 outer diameter.
If the 25mm tyre does the same thing and actually measures around 28mm on a modern rim then it could be a good option. The wide tread means there'll still be good coverage.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Tufo tubulars not so long ago were said to run like garden hoses in terms of comfort. I wonder how this tyre would perform in this regard.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RDY

by RDY

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:00 am
Tufo tubulars not so long ago were said to run like garden hoses in terms of comfort. I wonder how this tyre would perform in this regard.
Probably similar to the Enve SES (very supple).

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Grippy, puncture resistant, and rolls well... this tire just jumped to the top of my list for next spring. Especially if they bring oversized 30mm and 32mm tires. On 21 IW, I'd like a 32-34mm tire.

It's also very light for the size, tread coverage, and protective qualities. 30mm WAM Prima is lighter than 25mm WAM S-TR and 29mm WAM TT-TR 😳

If it rides supple like a Power Cup (is it on that level?), I see no downside so far.

alanyu

by alanyu

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:00 am
Not the new one, but Comtura 5 TRs were the most comfort tyres I have tried.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Good to hear :thumbup: Then it looks like indeed another candidate is there to choose from for riding this autumn / next spring.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RDY

by RDY

30mm is due some time before the end of this year. 32 around spring next year. Thundero 48s also before the end of this year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Thundero 48s will be awesome. I'll be keeping an eye out for the larger Comturas but might have to pick up some 28s for riding this winter unless the 30s are available. Tufo used to be the tire brand to avoid but they've been dropping some solid options recently.