Tufo Comtura Prima

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 am
Don't wanna give up this supple tire as the tread coverage is very high and it's probably the lightest TLR tire with anti-puncture belt.
Do they feel as supple as expected?

With hooks and an extra layer of tape, I probably wouldn't worry. Especially at the low pressures of such a high volume tire, and the fact that we haven't seen reports of them blowing off.

jlok

by jlok

BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:16 am
jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 am
Don't wanna give up this supple tire as the tread coverage is very high and it's probably the lightest TLR tire with anti-puncture belt.
Do they feel as supple as expected?

With hooks and an extra layer of tape, I probably wouldn't worry. Especially at the low pressures of such a high volume tire, and the fact that we haven't seen reports of them blowing off.
I'm not worrying about blowing off at all. I just hate the fact that it's built less tight than other TLR tires like GP5000 TR or TT TR, so making the bead seating very difficult.

They do feel supple. I thought I got a flat right in the first few km. It is the same feeling like the supple new High Road.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

jlok wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:22 am
They do feel supple. I thought I got a flat right in the first few km.
Great! Feeling like you have a flat is the best compliment for how a tire feels :lol:

Looking forward to the 32mm tires

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Couldn't wait and ordered the 28mm in tan wall. Mine came in at 222g and 224g. Seems the black color is heavier, so maybe that is painted on. On the tan version, there is a layer of black on top of the tan wall around the bead.

Comparing WAM and weight, this is quite remarkable. From BRR on a 17mm rim:

Tufo 28mm: 30mm WAM and 223g (my tan weight)
GP5k S TR 32mm: 30mm WAM and 310g
GP5k S TR 25mm: 25.5mm WAM and 255g
GP5k TT TR 28mm: 29mm WAM and 250g
Corsa Speed TLR 26mm: 26.5mm WAM and 227g

The fact that these 30mm tires are similar in weight to 25mm TT tires is mind-blowing. A pair of these drops 180g off a pair compared to GP5k in the same size. Should be a winner for WW builds!

In hand, the sidewall feels very supple, too. Softer than the sidewall on my 28mm Power Cup TLR, which was the smoothest tire I've tried so far. Really looking forward to testing these once the weather gets nicer!

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:59 pm
Couldn't wait and ordered the 28mm in tan wall. Mine came in at 222g and 224g. Seems the black color is heavier, so maybe that is painted on. On the tan version, there is a layer of black on top of the tan wall around the bead.

Comparing WAM and weight, this is quite remarkable. From BRR on a 17mm rim:

Tufo 28mm: 30mm WAM and 223g (my tan weight)
GP5k S TR 32mm: 30mm WAM and 310g
GP5k S TR 25mm: 25.5mm WAM and 255g
GP5k TT TR 28mm: 29mm WAM and 250g
Corsa Speed TLR 26mm: 26.5mm WAM and 227g

The fact that these 30mm tires are similar in weight to 25mm TT tires is mind-blowing. A pair of these drops 180g off a pair compared to GP5k in the same size. Should be a winner for WW builds!

In hand, the sidewall feels very supple, too. Softer than the sidewall on my 28mm Power Cup TLR, which was the smoothest tire I've tried so far. Really looking forward to testing these once the weather gets nicer!
Would be very interested to read how the 28mm Tufos measure up when you mount them on what I assume is a wider rim. Not many of us are on 17mm rims anymore!

gruppetto

by gruppetto

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:40 pm
Would be very interested to read how the 28mm Tufos measure up when you mount them on what I assume is a wider rim. Not many of us are on 17mm rims anymore!
31mm on a 24mm internal.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

gruppetto wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:23 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
31mm on a 24mm internal.
Thanks for that. So very similar to a STR but with a significant drop in weight.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:48 pm
gruppetto wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:23 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
31mm on a 24mm internal.
Thanks for that. So very similar to a STR but with a significant drop in weight.
31mm on 24mm wheels sounds a bit low compared to BRR's measurements and mine.

After letting them sit overnight, mine are 31.5mm on a 23.1mm IW rim. I dont doubt they'll stretch to 32mm or more after the first ride.

alanyu

by alanyu

I'm wondering when Tufo will refresh these tyres with correct labells? I'm looking forward to a new/true 25/26c

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Don't know if they'll make a smaller size or just relabel the current ones and add bigger sizes.

But the new tires are coming in Feb/March, so by then we should have an answer.

If my experience with 28mm is positive, I'll get a 32mm for the rear, for sure.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I'm surprised anyone had trouble mounting these. I was able to mount both front and rear with a hand pump today. One layer of Schwalbe tape and no sealant in there yet, since I'll add fresh sealant next month before riding season starts. After half a day, they haven't even lost pressure yet.

alanyu

by alanyu

WOW that's amazing considering the weight. The last tyre didn't lost pressure without sealant I used was GP5000TL, which is designed as a true tubeless instead of tubeless ready. I can also pump it with a mini pump GIYO GM81, but it is heavy as pig!

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I definitely wouldn't run them without sealant, but I was surprised how easy they mounted and that they're actually holding air!

Super curious how these will hold up given their TT weight.

I also wonder how fast they'd be for TT-ing if they had thinner tread like a Corsa Pro and Power Cup. The rubber layer is quite thick and wide, which can't help RR, yet it performs quite well despite that. Meanwhile the sidewall feels very soft in hand.

Aeo

by Aeo

The 25mm measure 28mm on a 21mm internal hooked rim (Duke Baccara Ultra 36 SLS2) immediately after inflation. Expecting + 0.5mm on the rear tyre after some riding
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gruppetto

by gruppetto

I rode my tufo Comtura Prima for roughly 2.500km on dry roads and the rear tire seems to be dead already. The black track is partially gone and I can see dark brown rubber.

I gues the weight comes with a hefty penalty on mileage. Look like there are no shortcuts.