Actual Tire Width vs Internal Width - MTB

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Can someone here help me to determine the actual tire width increase from 29x2.25 to 2.35, and internal width increase from 23 to 30? I'm trying to determine if there is enough clerance from switching to a new wheelset with wider internal width and mounted with bigger tire. Thanks.

darkmother

by darkmother

There is a bit of variation between different tire brands/models. I've got a pair of 2.35 "Schwalbe Nobby Nic s on 30mm internal rims and the casing measures just under 60 mm at the widest part of the sidewall. I've had other 2.3 tires that are more like 63mm wide.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

1) The variation from tire brand/model is larger than the change in i23 to i30.
For example Aspens 2.4" on i23 will still be larger than Schwalbe 2.35 or 2.4 on i30. Specialized FastTrak/Renegade 2.35 is highly undersized even if you mount it on wide rim.

2) mtb tires need mud clearance. If there's any doubt if things will fit or not. It means you already are trying to fit a tire too big.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

ipenguinking wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:07 pm
Can someone here help me to determine the actual tire width increase from 29x2.25 to 2.35, and internal width increase from 23 to 30? I'm trying to determine if there is enough clerance from switching to a new wheelset with wider internal width and mounted with bigger tire. Thanks.
I realize that this thread is a couple of months old, but I'm replying anyway.

I have a method to calculate the inflated width of a given tire as it's mounted on different-width rims. According to this method, the casing width on a 2.35"/60mm-wide tire should increase by 2.5mm.

To wit:

Code: Select all

Estimated tire width is 60.03 mm when mounted
to a rim that measures 23.00 mm internally.

Estimated tire width is 62.48 mm when mounted
to a rim that measures 30.00 mm internally.
May I ask what rims you're using? And what tire?