New wheelset time. Which of these would you choose?…

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Hello WW- I need a new disc brake wheelset- what would you choose out of these four?

100kg, 6'3"- home terrain is UK rolling Cotswold hills and flats.
Will be used all the time , Mixed weather rides not
Not torrential rain. Strong TT type rider.
Not racing anymore but still like to punch it in group rides.
Tubeless convert (loving my corsa pro which are hookless compatible)

1) zipp 303s. 45mm depth 23mm int 28mm ext.1058gr. Zipp hubs. 24h Sprint spokes. Hookless (am I too heavy at max 73 psi?) Lifetime warranty sounds nice. £950

2) light bicycle built AR56 wheelset. 56mm deep, 23mm int, 30mm ext. 1510gr dt swiss 240 exp straight pull. 24h SP CX rays, brass nips. £960

3) local legendary builder. LB AR56 rims 56mm deep, 23 int, 30mm ext. 1590 gr. dt swiss 240 exp classic. 24h J bend Dt swiss aerolites. Brass nips. £1000ish

4) VEL 50 RSL2. 50mm deep, 21mm int, 28 ext. 1500gr. Dt swiss 240 exp straight pull, 24h SP CX rays brass nips £800
Last edited by DieselCondor on Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

If I'm the UK speak to Daren at Strada wheels about his in house Wheels. They are epic and punch well above their weight! Tell him Alex from the forum sent you and he'll look after you 👌🙏
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

You are 100kg! I would completely ignore wheelset weight, and come up with a build that will survive and perform. I just can't see any wheel built with 24 CXray or similar being useful or even safe for you. They will flex under acceleration, hard cornering, etc. Handling could get sketchy. And they may fail quickly with broken spokes. I have similar builds that you are suggesting and they are just barely adequate for hard riding under my 77kg. I have another similar wheelset but with 28 spokes and the difference is very noticeable - much more solid and secure feeling in every situation. You can do a low spoke count, but you would need super stiff spokes and CXray's are not. The Sapim CX Sprint is a slightly stiffer aero spoke and a better choice, but you still need 28 of them.

My advice - get LightBicycle or similar company to build for you: 50 - 56mm rim (AR, WR, whatever works in your frame, and with your preferred tire size), 28 Sapim CX Sprint, brass nipples, on DT240.

The extra 4 spokes will add 16 grams to each wheel and will save you some serious grief down the road.

Ultimately any weight gain or aero loss from the build I am suggesting is absolutely insignificant. And the benefits of the stronger build will be felt with every pedal stroke.

If you send LightBicycle an email requesting this sort of custom build they will send you a link to place the order.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

Thanks for the replies so far.
With respect, for spoke count I wouldn't go lower than 24, have considered 28 on the rear and only 24 with a deeper rim hence the 56mm. (Outside the zipp as the outlier choice)
I'm actually pretty gentle with wheels and have extensively used campagnolo bora one 50's, roval cls, enves, zipp 303FC (2015) with success before, never a spoke issue.

Don't get me wrong though- my death row wheelset is 32h Campagnolo record hubs, Ambrosio nemesis rims 😂

warthog101

by warthog101

The local builder sounds good. He will be there to help if you develop problems.