Zipp 858 NSW Hookless Thoughts?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Anybody ridden these on a road bike (as opposed to Tri/TT)? Opinions? Are they actually rideable on descents and in blustery conditions and in a pack? How fast are they? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I only have experience with the 858 NSW from 2 years ago, and I did not like them. They are narrow AF and not as stable as other deep wheels (DTSWISS 80db, AEOX TITAN). The new ones are 23mm internal TSS, so as per ETRTO, minimum tire width is 28c. I wouldn't like that on such a narrow wheel (particularly the front).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

FlatlandClimber wrote:I only have experience with the 858 NSW from 2 years ago, and I did not like them. They are narrow AF and not as stable as other deep wheels (DTSWISS 80db, AEOX TITAN). The new ones are 23mm internal TSS, so as per ETRTO, minimum tire width is 28c. I wouldn't like that on such a narrow wheel (particularly the front).
Yikes. Will avoid. Thanks!

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Back to thinking about this. Have an event in a few months weee it may be advantageous to go out on a long solo break and I would need ever single watt I can get without getting ridiculous.

At 40-45kph how much might 858s save over Enve 4.5s?

I ask because they are roughly the same weight and the Zipps are 30mm deeper.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Do people just hate these wheels?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I feel that they are overly expensive and heavy. Why not go Princeton Carbon which means still aero, lighter, and not hookless?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

toxin

by toxin

Zipp hookless strikes again
image-5.png

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

toxin wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 pm
image-5.png
Where was that taken?
I need to taunt my friend who thinks his 303s are gods own wheelset 😂

toxin

by toxin

Not sure about that one but this one was trofeo palma feminina
GEXZS8PWUAANR9d.png

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Awesome, thanks

Lina

by Lina

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:42 pm
toxin wrote:
image-5.png
Where was that taken?
I need to taunt my friend who thinks his 303s are gods own wheelset 😂
That one is from AlUla Tour.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

toxin wrote:
image-5.png
Ridiculous.

No doubt it's due to careless home installation by someone with no real knowledge of tires or wheels. :roll: Probably didn't check the compatibility list and just installed some random tire. Probably did the stupid thing and used them in direct sunshine. No way this is Zipps fault :roll: :roll: I've been riding hookless for a million miles and they are perfect blah, blah, blah...

Wait for the high profile TdF injury or fatality. This is one bike industry experiment that consumers might reject. I was considering it, but for sure I'm out now.

Shame it happened to Baril. She's been getting stronger every season - one to watch. Looks like she escaped without anything serious.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Lina

by Lina

UCI regulated extremely turned in levers in basis of safety and backpedaled on disc brakes for a while. Surely it's time to ban hookless. This is an actual safety concern and it's going to cause injuries at this rate.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol. You've got some great anecdotal internet proof going there. Very convincing.....

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It is interesting that the UCI is all over levers and sock height (which is OK), but is silent on hookless. Like I said, one high profile disaster in the TdF and things could change quickly. Tire blows off somewhere in the peloton and WVA or MVP end up in a chair? That would change the discussion. I really like the idea of the added impact strength of hookless, shame about the odd tire coming off. The sport is dangerous enough. The slightest additional risk is not welcome regardless of benefit.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.