New wheel advice

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:14 am
Question:

Do you have enough weight over the front wheel? If your stem is quite short and/or stack high, and perhaps your saddle quite far back then you are looking at another possible cause of a twitchy front end when descending in windy conditions.

When I changed the stem on my Propel from 90mm to 110mm and moved the saddle forward a bit the bike became a lot less twitchy in general and less prone to crosswinds descending at high speed in particular.

If this is the root cause of the issue then a shallower front wheel won't help.
I would think so, I'm on a 100mm stem and have the saddle quite far forward. Also I weight about 92kg so have a bit weight on me. I do plan on lowering another 7.5mm in the coming weeks so will see if that makes any improvements

Nickldn

by Nickldn

daninplymouth wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:50 am
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:14 am
Question:

Do you have enough weight over the front wheel? If your stem is quite short and/or stack high, and perhaps your saddle quite far back then you are looking at another possible cause of a twitchy front end when descending in windy conditions.

When I changed the stem on my Propel from 90mm to 110mm and moved the saddle forward a bit the bike became a lot less twitchy in general and less prone to crosswinds descending at high speed in particular.

If this is the root cause of the issue then a shallower front wheel won't help.
I would think so, I'm on a 100mm stem and have the saddle quite far forward. Also I weight about 92kg so have a bit weight on me. I do plan on lowering another 7.5mm in the coming weeks so will see if that makes any improvements
100mm stem sounds pretty good, but of course longer may be better on a 56+ frame (sorry don't know which bike you ride).

Fit is of course highly personal, but don't underestimate how a small shift in weight can affect bike handling and behaviour in tricky riding conditions.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

yingyu wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:18 am
Rim + tire profile would have a bigger impact on stability than 8mm depth change. External rim width 32mm seems like a good fit for 28c tire that measures 30mm.

Honestly I think wind stability is a premium feature that takes additional R&D, so unsurprisingly it's a gamble to order from FS or LB compared with established brands like Enve, Zipp, Bontrager.
+1 on this. I had the same problem with my Farsports wheelset (26mm width). It was a lot better when I got the 28mm width rims. But the biggest difference was when I bought my bontrager wheelset.

Aesch

by Aesch

yingyu wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:18 am
Rim + tire profile would have a bigger impact on stability than 8mm depth change. External rim width 32mm seems like a good fit for 28c tire that measures 30mm.

Honestly I think wind stability is a premium feature that takes additional R&D, so unsurprisingly it's a gamble to order from FS or LB compared with established brands like Enve, Zipp, Bontrager.
True! But to be honest, I'd rate the wr40 set I describe very close to my RSL51 bontrager wheelset in overall feel and characteristics. (yes those are deeper).

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Don't know why but it's been really windy here lately so I think I'm just going to order a WR40 and hope it's better.
Would there be any other noticeable changes from the 10mm drop in height? wheel weight would be pretty much the same as I currently have so can't imagine I'd notice any other difference

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Well I bit the bullet and ordered up a WR40 so will update this in a few weeks when I have the wheel fitted.
I do have a question though I was going to order up a front brake disc so I could swap the wheels over if I needed, the wheel will have a DT240 EXP hub. What lockring will I need to order to fix the centre lock disc to the hub? As the DT one I can see says it's for 15mm axles when I thought mine were 12mm