Conti 25 or 28mm on Zipp 303 Firecrest?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GordonZola

by GordonZola

I will be getting the new wheels (Zipp 303 Firecrest) for my Tarmac SL7.

I have narrowed the tire choice to Continental GP5000 S TR Tubeless but I am wondering what size should I get - 25mm or 28mm ?

I know Zipp recommends 28mm for this wheelset but my priorities are speed and weight to get this snappy and light feeling when accelarating.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GordonZola

by GordonZola

Close the topic please. Just read Zipp's will take only 28+mm

chrisw91

by chrisw91

Although if you listen to one of the recent Escape Collective podcasts, the very latest ETRTO guidelines say that you shouldn't run a 28mm tyre on a 25mm hookless internal rim :noidea:

Seems there's some argument in particular with Zipp, given they're still saying that a 28 is fine on their 303 Firecrest rims. Just seems like a bit of a mess all round to me.

EDIT: more on the changes here:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ch ... ur-safety/

Nickldn

by Nickldn

chrisw91 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am
Although if you listen to one of the recent Escape Collective podcasts, the very latest ETRTO guidelines say that you shouldn't run a 28mm tyre on a 25mm hookless internal rim :noidea:
What noise does a guinea pig make before coming off a bike with hookless rims?

This is honestly how I feel right now about these posts......

On the one hand I'm glad someone's doing it, but unlike medical drug trials you're not being paid, in fact if you buy premium Zipps you're paying handsomely for the privilege of testing out hookless wheels and tyres for the fine venture capitalist moneymen who owe much of the cycling industry. :beerchug:
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

warthog101

by warthog101

chrisw91 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:35 am

Seems there's some argument in particular with Zipp, given they're still saying that a 28 is fine on their 303 Firecrest rims. Just seems like a bit of a mess all round to me.

EDIT: more on the changes here:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ch ... ur-safety/
Thanks for the link :)