2023 - best mid depth carbon road disc wheelset - hooked, min 21mm int, tubeless compatible.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
STUB1

by STUB1

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. It is important that the wheelset is stiff when doing out of the saddle hill efforts, I feel my current wheels are great on the flats, but definitely feel like they flex when doing out of the saddle efforts (with some rotor rub). I don't know what part of the rim/hub/spoke combo is responsible (The frame is an 02VAM which I suspect isn't the problem because I had the issue on my old bike too). I also don't want to go to a lighter set if they feel like a noodle.

At what width do the benefits of a wider rim start to become a negative for overall smooth road roads? The roads I ride on are pretty good and I currently run a 25 and 28 GP5000 with latex tubes, but would be open to 28 and 28, probably won't go bigger than that/see the need and there for would ID be optimal in the 21-23mm range.

@c36 budget - happy to listen to anything, obviously if a $1500 wheelset performs similarly to a 5k one then I would consider that. I always wanted to try Schmolke, but they were just so narrow until recently (TLO 42).

So carbon spoke options - LW, Partington, Mavic, Newmen - any others?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HBike

by HBike

STUB1 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:51 am
Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. It is important that the wheelset is stiff when doing out of the saddle hill efforts, I feel my current wheels are great on the flats, but definitely feel like they flex when doing out of the saddle efforts (with some rotor rub). I don't know what part of the rim/hub/spoke combo is responsible (The frame is an 02VAM which I suspect isn't the problem because I had the issue on my old bike too). I also don't want to go to a lighter set if they feel like a noodle.

At what width do the benefits of a wider rim start to become a negative for overall smooth road roads? The roads I ride on are pretty good and I currently run a 25 and 28 GP5000 with latex tubes, but would be open to 28 and 28, probably won't go bigger than that/see the need and there for would ID be optimal in the 21-23mm range.

@c36 budget - happy to listen to anything, obviously if a $1500 wheelset performs similarly to a 5k one then I would consider that. I always wanted to try Schmolke, but they were just so narrow until recently (TLO 42).

Cadex (Giant) Ultra 50. Pretty stiff and light
https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/cad ... et-review/

Reserve feel plenty stiff according to that review, too
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... i2-review/
Given the larger outer and inner width paired with no weight limit makes it an interesting option.

Jabulane

by Jabulane

CADEN Cycling

Great products with excellent service. I have three different wheelsets from them and they're all excellent.

https://cadencycling.com/eu/product/45m ... s-wheelset

C36

by C36

STUB1 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:51 am

From what you discribe, I don't see the absolute need to go 28, a modern 25 on a 21mm rim will already be 26/28mm depending on the brand. This being said you will need to adjust to the final rim choice (the largest won't let you use 25mm labeled tires).

I reuse a table I previosuly published where you can see that light aero and stiff is very difficult to get.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202302 ... 50a009.png

Few comments:
- the (missing on that table) Corima MCC DX would be the stiffest option (60N/mm is nearly 50% more than most of the options people quoted above usually around 40-44N/mm) but are 19mm wide internally and 26 externally so a bit narrow for what you were looking for.
- the Cadex would be a good option, but are hookless (but rate them for more than the 5bar limit Zipp has)
- the Mavic Ultimate would be the highest performance overall (light, aero, stiffness) but come at a cost
- I would avoid the Hunt someone mentioned above, they have always been on the flexier side of things
- I was about to suggest Winspace Hyper D45 but for whatever reason have been measured quite flexible by peaktorque (to be taken a pit of salt, his way of measuring stiffness is questionable, usually find lower numbers than anyone else) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2aspS819w&t=488s and the D67 could be too high to be pleasant climbing / downhilling.
- Farsport S series do bring a lot of stiffness (I need to pull data, but on top of my head they are above 50N/mm), their Evo line is still on 19/26

Summary:
- if you have the resources: mavic Ultimate
- if you can live with high pressure hookless: Cadex ultra
- if you are looking for the stiffest/$ value: Farsport S

Jz91

by Jz91

Can anyone confirm this on the Newmen?

NOTE: Due to the spoking, the Vonoa wheels must not be fitted with brake discs smaller than 160 millimeters (small distance between brake caliper and spokes).

grandantipathes

by grandantipathes

Jz91 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:59 am
Can anyone confirm this on the Newmen?

NOTE: Due to the spoking, the Vonoa wheels must not be fitted with brake discs smaller than 160 millimeters (small distance between brake caliper and spokes).
They were ok with 140mm discs on mine. I think it depends on the configuration