Hub not disengaging [Lightweight Meilenstein]

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MarcelW

by MarcelW

Dear WeightWeenies,

I´m new here. I´ve been reading along for years, but now I would like to reach out for some help! I’m a recreational road rider with a 167th place in La Marmotte in the French Alpes being my best (and only) serious performance 😉 I’m currently riding a Canyon Ultimate SLX from 2017 with Etap 22. So far my introduction.

Hub help!
I recently purchased a used set of Lightweight Meilenstein Clincher wheels. It was a bargain, but also needs some love. The rear hub has issues. I cannot freewheel properly. It seems like the hub is not disengaging. Some information:

- Cannot freewheel properly
- Spinning wheel spins cassette and therefore chain and pedals
- Engaging seems to work, disengaging not
- Hub is the loudest I’ve ever heard. Thick grease helps I noticed.
- Hub seems so spin fairly well when I have it in my hands
- I took the thing apart and cleaned the hub, ratchet and spring
- Spring looks okay. It does not overlap when compressed (I think)
- I have not touched the bearings. They are red with the number 6802. They seem to be fine.
- It feels like I have the same issue as Zach Woodward on YouTube (title: dt swiss 180 exp problem. )

I watched a ton of YouTube videos and read DT-Swiss documents. I don’t not exactly know which DT Swiss hub it is but it may be a 180/190 hub. It has 1 spring and 1 ratchet ring with 18 teeth. Which looks like the EXP technology. I read about the 2021 EXP issues, but I’m not sure what the fix would be in my case. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/ratchet-exp- ... nce-notice

And I noticed that the red washer ring is missing. The red ring is between the spring and the hub body. Maybe the lack of this ring enhances the loud sound. https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheel ... technology

How can I make the wheel run smoother?

Kind Regards, Marcel

spud

by spud

freehub bearings would not cause a sticking issue since the axle is stationary. Best course of action is to make certain that all washers/parts are installed as per the parts catalogue and diagram. I'm not familiar with the new DT frehub, but any ommission of parts cans cause the freehub to move further onto the hub shell and cause interference, which of course causes the freehub to stick. Worse comes to worst, you can buy a new SDR body.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarcelW

by MarcelW

Thank you. Eventually, an expert took a look and replaced the inner parts (bearings, ratchet and spring). It works fine again!