Lightweight wheels???

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Llanberis

by Llanberis

Apologies, I realised my previous reply was a bit misleading. Fernweg EVO rim profile (or even Wegweiser / Padfinder) is as close as one could get to achieve the 105% rule. I had considered going 23 mm with my Meilenstein's for that reason, but figured it's something I could deal with in the overall context. As long as rules of physics apply, a toroidal rim shape would never be as stiff as one with straight sidewalls, and that doesn't play well to what LW is known for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

Interesting. So that's why Lightweight can't or won't improve their aero. The subject is conspicuously neglected on their site. They give lots more detail about their advantages than they ever used to. But no aero profiles or numbers or wind tunnel tests, even on the Fernweg page https://lightweight.info/en/road-bike/wheels/fernweg I'd love to know what their plan is. Surely they're not happy about being perceived as slower than their competitors? I'm not saying the Meilenstein isn't a fantastic general purpose wheel, but the company just isn't relevant to discussions of current tech. Seems to me that the weightweenie crowd have lost interest in it.

jlok

by jlok

I guess it's because their focus is maximum stiffness by the unique design (glued hub-spoke-rim as one vs joined spokes and rim by nipples) and then lightness. The ride feel is very different from the traditional nippled wheels. "Zero" loss of torque transmission. While people are chasing 2W from drag reduction, LW is chasing the last drop of reactivity by the unique production method / design.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10