Width of tyres

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
lonesurvivor

by lonesurvivor

The current tyres are mostly 25 or 28.

Browsing the internet, I have not found definitive answers to the following questions.
Which tyre has the lower rolling resistance: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?
Which tyre has the better puncture protection: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?

Maybe the answers are different for tubular or tubeless tyres.

By the way, I am about to buy the new Vittoria Corsa Pro tyres, tubular version, for my light wheels (rim 25 mm wide and 28 mm high). I live in the Swiss Alps and use the bike mainly for climbing.

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alumen

by Alumen

Which tyre has the lower rolling resistance: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference? --> Neglectable.
Which tyre has the better puncture protection: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference? --> Makes no difference.

Pick the whatever size you like. Depending on your inner rim width as well.

To my own personal opinion and experience; 28mm does basically everything in real life, what they've first said a 25mm tire vs a 23mm tire would do.

Rolling resistance also comes down to finding the right pressure for your needs, based on your body weight and road conditions.

Climbing means descending as well, I'd pick 28mm for the increased grip during fast descends.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I've never ridden a 28 that felt as fast as its 25 counterpart. I don't know if it's the aero, weight, or rolling resistance but they just have felt draggier. I also don't like the squishy feeling. I don't have very rough roads though. I was content on 23s except I could corner faster on 25s so I switched.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

lonesurvivor wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 pm
Which tyre has the better puncture protection: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?
28 at lower pressure is slightly more puncture resistant than 25 at a higher pressure. But not that much. The size difference is small. If you compare 32 to 25 then that'd be more noticeable.

1) You have more side wall height until you bottom out and get pinch flat so you can run lower tire pressure.
2) With lower tire pressure, the skin tension is lower. So the tire can flex to conform "around" sharp object better. Rather than pushing stiff, no flex tire against sharp object.
lonesurvivor wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:51 pm
Which tyre has the lower rolling resistance: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?
Depend on the tire pressure you use and road condition.
For very smooth surface. 25 at a higher pressure weight less and is more aero on your narrow wheel for the similar rolling resistance.
If your road surface isn't very smooth. 28mm at a lower tire pressure roll better.
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b-ro ... -impedance

My personal choice is to use narrowest tire that still allow me to use less than 70psi. And that'd be 25 front and 28 rear.