NEW Fulcrum Speed 57 Wheelset

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

So i've ridden the wheels yesterday (I have the Wind version). Short loop (25km) i use to ride for training so its first impressions and you should take my opinion with a grain of salt. As far as carbon wheels go i've ridden the Prime Primavera 56 and the DT Swiss ERC 1400 that i still have and use. I sold the Prime Primavera 56 because they were super unstable even just riding around, and when the winds where a little bit faster they were impossible to ride.
In that regard, and what made me buy the Fulcrum on the first place, these wheels are way better. Super stable even compared to my ERC1400 which i think really shine in that regard. Granted that yesterday wind was not blowing super hard but i still felt confident with the wheels. Sail effect was definitely felt compared ERC1400 but felt a little bit lower than what i felt with the Primavera 56. In regard of stifness may be different for the "Speed version" but i didnt feel that they were less stiff or stiffer than any other wheels i've tried but i'm not a super strong rider so your "milleage" may vary.
One last note, is the sound they make, which is none. Coming from the DT Swiss with the 240hub, coasting was a noisy affair and to be honest it was something i learnt to like and now it feelt weird the silence.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

Very interesting information, thanks for sharing! My BB tool is scheduled to arrive tomorrow... can't wait.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

theOrtherion wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:53 pm
..One last note, is the sound they make, which is none. Coming from the DT Swiss with the 240hub, coasting was a noisy affair and to be honest it was something i learnt to like and now it feelt weird the silence.
It is possible that the freehub has some extra grease in it and the sound will get louder after you have used the wheels more. That happened to me with many of my Campy wheels.

jlok

by jlok

kervelo wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 6:15 am
theOrtherion wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:53 pm
..One last note, is the sound they make, which is none. Coming from the DT Swiss with the 240hub, coasting was a noisy affair and to be honest it was something i learnt to like and now it feelt weird the silence.
It is possible that the freehub has some extra grease in it and the sound will get louder after you have used the wheels more. That happened to me with many of my Campy wheels.
Yes, there are so much grease from the factory but I have cleared and regrease in the Bora WTO Ultra rear hub, and it's still much more silent than most hubs (the older Bora One hub included). The sound is also much softer.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

I tried switching over my wheels tonight... the 11th cog of the 12-speed cassette won't fit on the freehub (I would have to hammer it in)... online search says that Fulcrum freehubs are notoriously tight. Weird since I'm switching over from a pair of Fulcrum Racing 6 DB and on their freehub the cassette went in drop-free.

Any ideas?

Picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xBAFf1vq6r66XYq6A

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

I have a second CS-R8100 cassette laying around. I'll try switching over the 12-tooth cog from that one. Let's see what happens.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

BernieMoves wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:31 pm
I tried switching over my wheels tonight... the 11th cog of the 12-speed cassette won't fit on the freehub (I would have to hammer it in)... online search says that Fulcrum freehubs are notoriously tight. Weird since I'm switching over from a pair of Fulcrum Racing 6 DB and on their freehub the cassette went in drop-free.

Any ideas?

have not had this issue with 12speed campy cassette and 1st gen WIND DB40.

Is this using the n3w hub?

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

rudye9mr wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 6:50 pm
BernieMoves wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:31 pm

Any ideas?

have not had this issue with 12speed campy cassette and 1st gen WIND DB40.

Is this using the n3w hub?
This is using the Shimano HG hub.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

I tried with another 12-tooth sprocket from another cassette I had laying around. It was still tight, but not as tight. Decided to squeeze it on and off once. Afterwards the original one went on a bit easier. A little wiggling pushing as well as the torque wrench did the rest.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

Final setup with Conti GP5K AS TR was really easy. Thanks to no spoke holes rim tape is not necessary and the tires popped on with just a track pump. Injected OrangeSeal through the valve stem and did a few sprints the block.

At speed the wheels sound nice and they're faster than they feel, i.e. I felt like I was doing 30kph when in reality I was doing 40... they spin up easily.

The freehub is fairly quiet, maybe a bit louder than on my old Fulcrum Racing 6 DB.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

about a month in - how goes the speed 57?

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

Really smooth ride, nice sounding and feel way faster than the old Racing 6. I love them! The bike just wants to go forward. Accelerating out of the saddle the wheels feel nice and stiff. Granted, I don't have much experience with other wheelsets... but they were a really worthwhile upgrade my bike.

I love the fact that the rim bed is undrilled. No fiddling with tape.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

How is the cross wind stability?

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

I didn't ride them in really gusty conditions yet but so far I didn't feel a thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

rudye9mr wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:02 pm
How is the cross wind stability?
Vienna was really windy today and I rode about 40km in the hills and along the river Danube. The stronger gusts of wind certainly did tug on the wheels. I wasn't expecting that at first.