NEW Fulcrum Speed 57 Wheelset

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ChoofWorm

by ChoofWorm

Some major improvements on the previous generation.
Stayed hooked for tubeles and tube set ups and the updated graphics are more then welcome.

Curious as to what everyone thinks.

https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels ... s/speed-57

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/fulcrum-speed-42-57/

RDY

by RDY

Heavy and expensive, with ceramic bearings (avoid) and some really stupid marketing claims - xx% better handling etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Have you ever used campagnolo usb or cult bearings when you say avoid?

RDY

by RDY

Attermann wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:54 am
Not personally. But I know a few people who've constantly had to replace CULT BB bearings after 1000-2000k KM, on bikes where the BB shell was fine. Barely know anyone who's had Campag wheels. My only experience with ceramic bearings has been Token ones in their BBs... they were horrible after 1500km - the much cheaper steel ones were good for 4000-6000k, and still usable after that.

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Bearings for the BBs lasting only 4000 to 6000km? There must be something else wrong.
The original ones in my Trek Domane have more than 30.000km on the clock and are still fine. steel bearings in a DT Swiss 240 rear hub lasted about 10.000 km, which I found not enough.

Besides that, I agree ceramic bearings are a waste.

I find the Fulcrum Wheels quite appealing.

Attermann

by Attermann

RDY wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:44 am
Attermann wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:54 am
Not personally. But I know a few people who've constantly had to replace CULT BB bearings after 1000-2000k KM, on bikes where the BB shell was fine. Barely know anyone who's had Campag wheels. My only experience with ceramic bearings has been Token ones in their BBs... they were horrible after 1500km - the much cheaper steel ones were good for 4000-6000k, and still usable after that.
i don't know what they are doing to them, i have ridden 20000 km and maybe even more, i have heard about 50000 from a club mate, i have a pair of Bora Ones, i have had since 2015, around 40000 km on the original bearings. So i would say they last really well, these numbers are on my bike that i use i summer part of the year.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

-Wider internal width 23mm ( previous rims were 19mm) - Trek's RSL series use 23mm interal width justifying it with lots of computational fluid dynamics and real world testing - should lead to lower rolling resistance, lower pressures to run and better fit for 28mm tyres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzKY6tqf9c

-24F/24R spokes - should make it fairly durable and more spokes than previous SPEED (21F/24R iirc)

-No need for rim tape - easier set up for tubeless and undrilled rim bed should offer higher strength

-On the bearings - general consensus is that CULTs last quite a bit and run very smoothly

- The rim profile seems to have been updated to help with stability - perhaps a hybrig u to v profile..

At the price point however - way too many options e.g. very same RSL37 that comes in at 1325g

TLN

by TLN

1495gm at 23 internal and 42mm height for $2.6k?
I've picked up Reserve 40|44, at 25mm internal (hooked), 40/44mm height: 1460gm at $1.5k with DT-350 hub.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Ytse

by Ytse

After owning two sets of Fulcrums, I have serious doubts about these wheelsets. Their hub design is abysmal, both of my wheels (Racing Quattro Carbon DB, Wind 55 DB) suffered bearing failures after getting wet in rain or after a simple bike wash (no high pressure washer jet stream directed towards the hubs, just simple mild water + sponge was used). What makes this even worse that even the local Fulcrum dealer confirmed that bearing failures are common in wet weather or after bike wash :). So should you buy Fulcrums, make sure you don't ride them in wet weather and remove them before a bike wash.

Also, my close friend an occasional ride buddy encountered a carbon delamination at the nipple holes on his rear Speed 40 DB that was definitely not caused by a crash - in fact, he managed to ride home and only found out the defect there when he was taking photos of his bike. After removing the tyres, it turned out that no damage is visible from the bead side, not even a single scratch or any visible trace of a hit. Yet, according to Fulcrum, it is not a manufacturing issue and not covered by warranty.

I'd be very careful to buy Fulcrum. In fact, I'd never buy Fulcrum again.

(just for the fact, I'm a happy user of a Campa Bora WTO 60 wheelset, no problem whatsoever, visibly different hub design is used by Fulcrum's parent company)
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

ChoofWorm

by ChoofWorm

RDY wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 pm
Heavy and expensive, with ceramic bearings (avoid) and some really stupid marketing claims - xx% better handling etc.
Interesting take, I had both the previous generation speed 40 and speed 55 with zero issues whatsoever. I'd go as far to say the best wheels I've ever owned.

In Australia there very much less expensive compared to other big brand named wheels and at 1450g for 60mm depth I wouldn't exactly call them heavy.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Fulcrum was never a brand I'd even consider buying wheels from until I landed an amazing deal of their Fulcrum Wind 40 DB.
They felt draggy at first but that's because the bearing are behind their own seal, plus you have the seal of the bearings so I'm not sure why hand washing, or even pressure washing would do any harm unless they use a different system.

Anyhow, after I changed the bearing to a single seal to reduce drag they've been absolutely hammered as my winter wheels on the gravel bike through the terrible muddy and wet conditions.

They've really change my opinion of fulcrum wheels and I'd buy them again IF, I could find a deal. RRP I'd go to lightbikes a create my own.

Much better than expected and I've been riding like I don't care 😂

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Fulcrums also do an ASTM rating for their wheels to guide user on conditions for riding.

Also have the WIND 40 DB and they have been awesome.

RDY

by RDY

ChoofWorm wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 11:55 am
RDY wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 pm
Interesting take, I had both the previous generation speed 40 and speed 55 with zero issues whatsoever. I'd go as far to say the best wheels I've ever owned.

In Australia there very much less expensive compared to other big brand named wheels and at 1450g for 60mm depth I wouldn't exactly call them heavy.
1495g for 57mm ... I'd call that pretty heavy at €2.2k price tag.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Ytse wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:21 am
After owning two sets of Fulcrums, I have serious doubts about these wheelsets. Their hub design is abysmal, both of my wheels (Racing Quattro Carbon DB, Wind 55 DB) suffered bearing failures after getting wet in rain or after a simple bike wash (no high pressure washer jet stream directed towards the hubs, just simple mild water + sponge was used). What makes this even worse that even the local Fulcrum dealer confirmed that bearing failures are common in wet weather or after bike wash :). So should you buy Fulcrums, make sure you don't ride them in wet weather and remove them before a bike wash.

(just for the fact, I'm a happy user of a Campa Bora WTO 60 wheelset, no problem whatsoever, visibly different hub design is used by Fulcrum's parent company)
I'm pretty sure that the Campy Bora WTO and (at least the prior version) Fulcrum Speed wheels use the same cup and cone bearing/hub design. In fact, I'm reasonably certain that the bearings and freehubs are interchangeable. The new Speed wheels indicate "cup and cone" USB bearings on the spec sheet, which are likely similar to the prior versions. The Racing Quattro Carbon and similar Wind series are a step down, and use different cartridge ("industrial") bearings, I believe more like the Campy Scirocco and Calima wheels.

I will note that all Campy/Fulcrum freehubs can suffer from water ingress, due to only being sealed on the outer-facing sides of the bearings; I have a set of Campy Eurus wheels that I've replaced the freehub bearings twice, due to the water intrusion doing long rides in rainy weather.

On my current disc bike, I'm riding a set of Fulcrum Speed 40 DB wheels I got early last year, and just shy of 4,000 miles in they've been great. I'm usually partial to Mavic wheels -- my now "retro" rim brake bike currently has Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL -- but I got a good deal on the Fulcrum Speed 40s and I've not been disappointed. Also like the fact that while tubeless compatible (and I am running tubeless on both bikes, now), the sealed rim bed and hooked rims on the Fulcrums are easy to use and allow flexibility and peace of mind. The newest Fulcrum Speeds look like a nice upgrade in terms of aesthetics and weight, and also more on point to current trends in tire widths.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Interested in new profile of the speeds and how they manage with stability as well...

Rsl51 is 1424g (1460 actual) vs 1495g for a 57mm depth and no rim tape required is ok imo.

Other options ?