NEW Fulcrum Speed 57 Wheelset

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jlok

by jlok

BernieMoves wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:03 pm
Thank you! I'll try and remember to update the weight when I mount them.
Any photo? How does it ride?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Specs look ok if you compare to fulcrum's own previous products and similar tier products from other brands, DT, zipp, Shimano, blabla. There are some extra light ones, especially those Chinese ones, but I guess people do have this n' that reason and don't want to buy those extra light wheels. I personally found the weight ok, I care about weight, but not to the extend that I would trade durability for weight.

I rode their aluminum rims years ago, feel as aglie as carbon ones, and didn't break my wallet. Fulcrum has a lot of retail spots here in S'gapore, but actually I've met very limited people really riding them, maybe because of the abysmally wet weather here... zipp and shimano are quite popular, followed by a lot of Hyper and other competitive Chinese brands.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

jlok wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 am
BernieMoves wrote:
Sorry, I'm a bit swamped at the moment and haven't gotten around to mounting them yet. I hope I'll get around to it in the next few weeks.

jlok

by jlok

Thx mate. Sorry for pushing. Just very curious on how these wheels ride.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

BernieMoves wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 pm
jlok wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:32 am
BernieMoves wrote:
Sorry, I'm a bit swamped at the moment and haven't gotten around to mounting them yet. I hope I'll get around to it in the next few weeks.
Hey, can you post on your impressions regarding crosswind stability when you have the time? Im considering the Fulcrum Wind 42 or even the 57 for a Cinelli Nemo Tig. I currently have some DT Swiss ERC1400 that are bulletproof regarding wind stability and would love to know how the Fulcrum behave in that regard.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

Hi and sorry for making you all wait... life happened. I've scheduled the first ride of the season with a friend on Sunday and will let you know how they ride.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

After letting the wheels sit around for three months, today I finally managed to put on a pair of Conti GP5K AS TR in 32mm.

Let me assure you that this was an experience I do not wish to repeat anytime soon. I barely managed to get them on there and needed my wife to assist with a second pair of hands. The GP5K AS TR is a really thick and unbelievably stiff beast of a tire.

Inflating was easy though, a few pumps from my SKS AirXpress and they popped on just fine and are holding 5 bars right now. I'll leave them overnight and then add some OrangeSeal and rotors.

Oddly enough the GP5Ks come out to 33mm in measured width. I expected them to run a bit larger than that.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

BernieMoves wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:49 pm
After letting the wheels sit around for three months, today I finally managed to put on a pair of Conti GP5K AS TR in 32mm.

Let me assure you that this was an experience I do not wish to repeat anytime soon. I barely managed to get them on there and needed my wife to assist with a second pair of hands. The GP5K AS TR is a really thick and unbelievably stiff beast of a tire.

Inflating was easy though, a few pumps from my SKS AirXpress and they popped on just fine and are holding 5 bars right now. I'll leave them overnight and then add some OrangeSeal and rotors.

Oddly enough the GP5Ks come out to 33mm in measured width. I expected them to run a bit larger than that.
i had a similar experience the first time i mounted gp5000 (non tubeless) on the DT Swiss ERC1400. I found out that placing the tire in the inner groove of the rim helps a lot. I know its "logic" but many people (including me) keeps forgeting to do that.

Anyway i caved and i bought a pair of Fulcrum Wind 57. Hope they are as "stable" as the reviews claim. My last wheels (Prime Primavera 56) where horrendous in that regard. Still would love to read your inputs regarding your wheels.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

One thing that strikes me as odd is a soft weight limit mentioned only in the manual. Above 82kg rider weight you need to "use the wheels with particular caution and have your bike inspected more frequently than usual". Official weight limit is 120kg system weight according to the Fulcrum website.

Is this common with other manufacturers?

jlok

by jlok

I haven't noticed that with other mfgs but if the wheels are rated 120kg sys weight (and ASTM Cat 2), I won't sweat over it. It just means that heavy riders will be harder on equipment, and naturally wheels maintenance cycle will be shorter.

Attermann

by Attermann

BernieMoves wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:56 am
One thing that strikes me as odd is a soft weight limit mentioned only in the manual. Above 82kg rider weight you need to "use the wheels with particular caution and have your bike inspected more frequently than usual". Official weight limit is 120kg system weight according to the Fulcrum website.

Is this common with other manufacturers?

They have had for years. Just means that a heavier rider is possibly harder on the equipment and it needs to be checked more often than a lighter rider.

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

Okay, thank you. I didn't know that this was the case. I'm a heavy rider (90kg) and often ride with a backpack. Do in my case system weight might often be around 105-110kg. We will see how they hold up.

Life got in the way again so I didn't manage to finish putting everything together... ride report will have to wait.

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

BernieMoves wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:46 am
Okay, thank you. I didn't know that this was the case. I'm a heavy rider (90kg) and often ride with a backpack. Do in my case system weight might often be around 105-110kg. We will see how they hold up.

Life got in the way again so I didn't manage to finish putting everything together... ride report will have to wait.
Any news?