Best mid-profile carbon tubeless wheelset for ride quality?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

apr46 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:25 am
Valid point QX, but if you have a flexy wheel and a comparatively "stiff" tire that can make the bike not just feel unresponsive but down right unpredictable. In my opinion its a far worse combination to deal with than a stiff wheel and low PSI.

I agree with @mrgib. If you were to take a flexy wheel like my gravel set with Berd spokes and put in 100 psi (or at my weight on 32mm tires something like 65psi) the wheels can make the bike feel like its stepping out rather than holding the line even when its fine.

In my opinion, playing with the PSI until the ride feels right and not squirelly is the right way to go. I would start by going down 20psi like the calculators suggest, if it feels squirelly go up in 5 psi increments until it feels better.
Definitely - like I said it's about making sure all the elements in the chain are balanced. If you go too far to one extreme it'll be bad.
I gotta try the Berd spokes though - my gut tells me that the modulus is very low compared to steel, so you'd get a lot more stretch (and creep, due to their polymer nature).

QX

Sockman

by Sockman

I mean, being unwilling to drop 20psi before you drop a couple thousand $/€/¥ is pretty insane... each to their own I guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

New Fulcrum speed 42
23 internal , no need for rim tape, 2:1 lacing… etc
Great build quality thanks to campy experience
simply blabla-ing

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

These new Fulcrum Speed 42 and Speed 57 look interesting indeed, no need for tape, that's good news, in particular whan I look at the effects of sealant on the rim tape.
If only Mavic went to do wheels with an increased inside width...

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Got my pair of speed 42 since 2 weeks now, 1000km and they’re just brilliant
Gp5000 28 measured at 29 at 72psi - rim is 29 outer 23 inner
simply blabla-ing