ZIPP 353 NSW Blowout / ETRTO Update

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

been riding hookless for atleast 3+ years or more, no issues. Not using foam, but do have them. Very hard to install so I gave up... always retry when I get new tires, probably need to let them stretch a little then retry.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bigevil

by bigevil

magnusss wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:32 am
Looks like your rim is cracked! How was this possible on a perfectly smooth road? Can you be 100% sure that it didn’t crack before the tire blew of?
If you don’t feel comfortable riding the replacement wheels why don’t you sell them and get something else?

I have seen alot of tire blow offs in the pro peleton lately but I still havent seen a tire blow of witnout the rim beeing cracked. Lower pressures and lighter rims may not be suck a good idea for road bikes as they are on mountain bikes.
yea, in fact both the front and rear rims cracked. I'm fairly sure it was from the impact as I hit the tarmac quite hard and skid at least 200 feet before a curb was kind enough to stop me. {the carbon saddle rails both snapped too} so it's hard to tell. I wish I had a video so we could see which came first but I had most certainly not hit anything in the moments before so I'd lean more towards a blowoff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

First of all, glad you're (now) OK - while this sounds truly horrific, it could have been even worse.

One thing the podcast highlights (that we see frequently on this forum! although thankfully not in this thread...yet) is an epidemic of "eh...it'll probably be OK" with regard to rim/tire combinations, hookless, etc. If the ETRTO is saying that a given combination isn't approved, then we should take that seriously. While that may or may not have been the root cause of this specific blowout, it just sucks that the bike industry often plays fast and loose with our safety.

bigevil

by bigevil

200%

Kluuz

by Kluuz

I don't know why I see this, but your rear valve is open too, could it also be that the tire lost pressure there and ran off on high speed?

Still scary stuff though, glad you are relatively OK!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kluuz wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:02 pm
I don't know why I see this, but your rear valve is open too, could it also be that the tire lost pressure there and ran off on high speed?

Still scary stuff though, glad you are relatively OK!

He said it blew off with a bang.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The problem for me is that an additional 3mm of casing width of a 29mm tire does what exactly? I’d be hesitant to put a 29, 30 or even 32mm tire on a 25mm internal width hookless rim.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:04 am
The problem for me is that an additional 3mm of casing width of a 29mm tire does what exactly? I’d be hesitant to put a 29, 30 or even 32mm tire on a 25mm internal width hookless rim.
been running a 30mm tires on 25 internal hookless (Enve 4.5AR) on the gravel/foul weather bike for about a year. Worked like a champ all winter. My normal is 28mm on 23 internal for crits and most riding.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Indyx

by Indyx

First off glad you're ok.

You're wheel blew off the rim, because it wasn't secured with a hook. There are so many cases of hookless wheels, especially Zipp wheels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYB9Y5sBIsQ

Really though running Hookless rims on the road is straight up dangerous. Hookless wheels literally removed the hooked interface that keeps your tire secure to the rim preventing a blowout. Why hookless? Because it's a cheaper, simplier, and ok- perhaps lighter (as a side benefit) wheel that certain brands are pushing.

People will say- Ran hookless for 3 years - no problem. You could also say I never wear my seatbelt- no problem. It's a safety feature both ways. The hook keeps your wheels secured when needed.

I've even gone back from tubless to tubes after 3 years on tubless on the road. Not worth the hassle, or the many downsides.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

Indyx wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:55 pm

You're wheel blew off the rim, because it wasn't secured with a hook. There are so many cases of hookless wheels, especially Zipp wheels...

Really though running Hookless rims on the road is straight up dangerous. Hookless wheels literally removed the hooked interface that keeps your tire secure to the rim preventing a blowout. Why hookless? Because it's a cheaper, simplier, and ok- perhaps lighter (as a side benefit) wheel that certain brands are pushing.

People will say- Ran hookless for 3 years - no problem. You could also say I never wear my seatbelt- no problem. It's a safety feature both ways. The hook keeps your wheels secured when needed.

I've even gone back from tubless to tubes after 3 years on tubless on the road. Not worth the hassle, or the many downsides.
Please don't gaslight the OP into believing that they've done something wrong. Hookless rims have been approved by the ETRTO and suggesting that they're "straight up dangerous" is simply incorrect. The video you linked shows a hookless tire blowing off a rim at 110 PSI, well above the maximum approved pressure for use with hookless (73 PSI). However, the fact that this even happens speaks to the ridiculousness of the industry leaving it to the consumer to navigate a dizzying array of compatibility issues (so they can sell more stuff). Adding more misinformation on top of that isn't helpful.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Indyx wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:55 pm

Guess what I run hookless and have for years.. I dont run Roval "with hooks" for the reason you state. Flated on Rovals and it was scary.. flated on my enve's offroad even (not cobbles) but tire stayed attached and I even road for longer then I should have.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bigevil

by bigevil

RadB

by RadB

Yes, they used the wrong tyre size therefore hookless is still okay. Phewww. That was close.

Next thing you know the strangely data-free zone of "73psi and 29mm" will shift again. Why? Because!

And also, anyone not using the new combination was clearly asking for it.