Gravel race tire: wich recommendations

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LouisN

by LouisN

I'm looking for the best compromise to complete a gravel race wheelset. Now I need some light and fast tires !! I've been looking at the resistance rolling thread, but can't help to think that in the steep hills the slickest ones would slip like hell. Same if weather was rainy the days before the event. I did a few events last year, most of them have roughly the same type of terrain. Short but very steep hills and "kickers" (14-24 %), terrain is mixed surfaces, lumberjack or forest areas roads, farm roads or paths, etc.
Thanks for the suggestions :beerchug:
Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I ran the Gravelking SS for a couple of seasons. Very durable, and decent weight. Never had any punctures. But they always felt like a slow tire, could just be my legs.

Switched to the Continental Terra Speed 40c early last year. To me they roll faster then the SS on and off road. The road sectors is where I really felt they out performed the SS. They do weigh a few grams more but it's worth the weight penalty. While the knobs are pretty shallow they are pretty grippy on loose soil and give me a little more confidence off-road. Mud they just gum up like any semi slick tire, ask me how I know, that was a long day. Overall they have proven to be just as durable as the SS and we have some very chunky gravel in our area. Most of our routes have some steep, long climbs pushing 15%+, no problems with seated efforts.

froze

by froze

Another option is the Kenda Alluvium, it has better durability than the Conti Terra Speed, and it's been optimized to ride fast on pavement, as well as single-track trails; and due to that it supposedly has incredibly low rolling resistance according to reviews, but does it? We don't really know since it was never independently tested, we only have the word of users.

But I think it's a tire worth checking out over most all others.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I’d give another vote to TerraSpeed. They are fast and grippy, and roll very nicely on pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

+1 Terra Speed.

jemima

by jemima

Have a wheelset with ReneHerse knobby 38mm rear + 42mm front on, last few weeks.
This weekend I climbed a few wet/damp and loose gravel roads with gradients like that.
No probs with climbing or descending grip once approx pressure dialed in.

Only used the black extralights so far, which may not be the most sensible casing choice for racing.
Cross fingers they won't explode in front of my eyes on an upcoming race if conditions call for them!

r2 shows a 40mm Kenda Booster Pro at a stupid low weight. Knob height?/grip.

Tufo Swampero 40mm is around 435gm. 2.1mm knob height.
Curve Grovel ti.

Minirac

by Minirac

S works pathfinder 42

Matte86

by Matte86

jemima wrote:Have a wheelset with ReneHerse knobby 38mm rear + 42mm front on, last few weeks.
This weekend I climbed a few wet/damp and loose gravel roads with gradients like that.

Only used the black extralights so far, which may not be the most sensible casing choice for racing.
Cross fingers they won't explode in front of my eyes on an upcoming race if conditions call for them!

How do you find riding with a 38 in the back and a 42 in the front?
I used to have different tyres on my mtb, a grippier in the front and a faster in the back but I’ve always had the same width..
At last Paris Roubaix some run a 30 in the front and a 32 in the back for aero..
As gravel sits in between I’m curious what to do..
A 40c getaway in the back and a 45c in the front?

jemima

by jemima

Matte86 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:42 pm
jemima wrote:Have a wheelset with ReneHerse knobby 38mm rear + 42mm front on, last few weeks.

I used to have different tyres on my mtb, a grippier in the front and a faster in the back but I’ve always had the same width..
At last Paris Roubaix some run a 30 in the front and a 32 in the back for aero..

Don't mind it.
Agree with the 'faster/rolling in the back' comment generally, however my suggestion here [Almost? 3mm knob height] was specific to those climbing grades/conditions that OP mentioned.
So for me, the rear would still require enough grip to climb such; not stall out.

Am going to try a Thundero [1.5mm knob height] rear this weekend up similar grades again, just to see if it starts losing traction at some point. RH front.

The 38mm is on a 26mm+Inner so it measures 40mm anyway.
Curve Grovel ti.

Matte86

by Matte86

jemima wrote:
Matte86 wrote:

Don't mind it.
Agree with the 'faster/rolling in the back' comment generally, however my suggestion here [Almost? 3mm knob height] was specific to those climbing grades/conditions that OP mentioned.
So for me, the rear would still require enough grip to climb such; not stall out.

Am going to try a Thundero [1.5mm knob height] rear this weekend up similar grades again, just to see if it starts losing traction at some point. RH front.

thanks for your reply
True that the rear beefes up to 40, but I guess the same happens to the front tyre.. so there’s still a ~4mm difference between F/R
And agree on having enough grip in the rear that’s why I was thinking of keeping the same tyre front and rear but following your experience with a smaller width
As where I live I often face similar climbs to those mentioned in the op, I’m quite keen on learning the ‘best’ / fastest solution..

bmCube

by bmCube

I'm very happy with my challenge Getaway pro tlr tires. They roll fast on tarmac, have a good grip (even in mud). Very good puncture protection (haven't had one in more than 2 years) and seem to be reasonable durable.

Matte86

by Matte86

jemima wrote:
Matte86 wrote:

Don't mind it.

While driving to work a couple of questions come up..
do you feel a difference in cornering on tarmac and / or fast descents with a smaller tyre in the back?
While looking at your bike Could you tell difference in size?
Do you mind posting a pic of your bike in such configuration?
Thanks

jemima

by jemima

Haven't logged in for a bit.

No diff for me with the RH knobby front and rear.
Can't really visually tell the diff due to the rear being on a much wider rim than front.

Afraid I just switched them out for a 44mm Thundero rear; mounts 46mm+ / RocketRon 2.1 front for some different riding coming up.
Curve Grovel ti.

Matte86

by Matte86

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com