Best wheelset for an Emonda SLR?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ytse

by Ytse

I have a 2021 Trek Emonda SLR. Per my LBS advice, I have bought a set of Reynolds ATR wheels, which are extremely wide (23/32mm), but at 1600g a pair (measured with TL tape but no valves), I feel them a bit sluggish, given their 40mm of depth. I am mulling an idea of buying a wheelset that better matches this bike, something light and "zippy". My eyes are on the Zipp 303 Firecrest, what other options do I have if don't want to go crazy high in price (eg. ENVE)? I'd prefer something around 50mmin depth and tubeless, can be even hookless, as I plan to ride Schwalbe Pro One TLEs.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm a bit leary of hookless personally, and I hate being limited to tubeless tires. For my 2020 Emonda SLR 7 that came with Bontrager Aeolus Pro Carbon wheels, I replaced them with Light Bicycle wheels and have been really happy. The ones I have are 1510g but are 56mm deep and 23/30 so they do have lighter options. I've had four pairs of Bontrager Carbon wheels through the years and I've been really happy with the LB wheels even with the "cheap" Bitex hubs (though they will build them with DT Swiss, Chris King, etc).
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

I have a pair of Light Bicycle WR50 with their Full Custom config with 9k+ miles riding. Pretty good so far. You have so many options buying from Light Bicycle.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/photowall/ ... elset.html

Aesch

by Aesch

Ytse wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:04 pm
I have a 2021 Trek Emonda SLR. Per my LBS advice, I have bought a set of Reynolds ATR wheels, which are extremely wide (23/32mm), but at 1600g a pair (measured with TL tape but no valves), I feel them a bit sluggish, given their 40mm of depth. I am mulling an idea of buying a wheelset that better matches this bike, something light and "zippy". My eyes are on the Zipp 303 Firecrest, what other options do I have if don't want to go crazy high in price (eg. ENVE)? I'd prefer something around 50mmin depth and tubeless, can be even hookless, as I plan to ride Schwalbe Pro One TLEs.
You can find the RSL51 wheels at slightly over 303 firecrest prices. They are really really nice.

Rearviewmirror7

by Rearviewmirror7

Really love the Hunt Aerodynamicist 4454UDs on my Emonda SL, just received the Farsports Feder 25mm wheels today and will take them on their first ride this weekend. So far they are light and look great!

m3bas

by m3bas

I ride some HED Vanquish 4 wheels. Virtually zero aero difference to a 50mm except in strong crosswinds, and then you have stability issues anyway.

I think HED is the most underrated wheel maker out there.

Have had them for several years and have never needed any maintenance.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I also used trek emonda slr. I put lightweights for aero and ax lightness with extra lite cyber hubs for climbing and group rides too. With the ax lightness I got the bike to 8.5 pounds

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Mike,
are you sure, 8.5 pounds?

Ytse

by Ytse

mike wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:20 am
I also used trek emonda slr. I put lightweights for aero and ax lightness with extra lite cyber hubs for climbing and group rides too. With the ax lightness I got the bike to 8.5 pounds
Can you post a pic of the Lightweights mounted on the Emonda?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

LRB23

by LRB23

Can anyone contest to how wide a wheel you can squeeze on an Emonda SLR? I’ve found options for 30mm external but I’m worried about clearance, coupled with a tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hannawald

by hannawald

LRB23 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:30 pm
Can anyone contest to how wide a wheel you can squeeze on an Emonda SLR? I’ve found options for 30mm external but I’m worried about clearance, coupled with a tyre.

If we talk about current Emonda SLR Disc 30mm is nothing to worry about. Just looking at the bike you should see plenty of clearance.Trek says 28mm clearance for tires but that is with 6mm gap on each side. Trek is conservative, most manufacturers quotes the clearance with just 4mm required gap. And that is for the tires, at the rim area there is usually even more space in the frame/fork. You should be ok even with 32mm outer width rims.

LRB23

by LRB23

hannawald wrote:
LRB23 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:30 pm

If we talk about current Emonda SLR Disc 30mm is nothing to worry about. Just looking at the bike you should see plenty of clearance.Trek says 28mm clearance for tires but that is with 6mm gap on each side. Trek is conservative, most manufacturers quotes the clearance with just 4mm required gap. And that is for the tires, at the rim area there is usually even more space in the frame/fork. You should be ok even with 32mm outer width rims.
Thanks, I see you have responded in both groups. I was aware of the official clearance but was interested to hear what everyone has tried.

The ride can be a little harsh especially compared to my Madone (isospeed). I wanted to experiment with a wider wheel/tyre combo and have fallen down a rabbit hole researching wheels.

I’m interested when the new Emonda launches (this year) and whether the inclusion of isoflow improves comfort. But from the early spy shots I’m not sure I like the idea of it taking on the form of the current Madone.

hannawald

by hannawald

New isoflow design is a little bit dividing - a friend of mine, long time Trek supporter and current Emonda owner, immediately said it is terrible while I quite like it. I think Emonda needs some more comfort, I used to have SLR (which is less comfortable than SL) and I quite didn´t like it because of harsh ride on broken tarmac. It was besically jumping over the holes. On the other hand it was a nice climber. I just didn´t go well with the geometry needing too many spacers and short reach so I can´t blame Emonda - maybe somebody with long and low stem might have different experience. Now I am on Supersix and it suits me better.

Not to be off topic - I believe Bontrager RSL 51 is a really good performer among mid depth wheelsets. 23 mm internal width is great as 28C Conti 5000 clinchers are about 31mm in reality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com