Vittoria Corsa NEXT - Tube Type Thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Alumen

by Alumen

My findings:
  • Out of the box it feels like a condom, so thin...
    28mm weighs 220 gram...
    The tread does not pick up debris like the original Corsa's do...
    Undersized: 26,15mm after mounting the tire on 19mm Vision rims, after 120 miles / 200km, the tire has grown slighty, to 26,75mm...
    Fast ! I think actually faster than the original...
    And very comfortable / supple...
It is a shame the Corsa NEXT is a bit undersized, otherwise, it is a very nice tire and worth to try.

Thoughts / your experiences ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Hey guys just bringing this back up my gp5000 clinchers look a little ripped up in places (bloody uk roads) so thinking of some 28mm corsa next clinchers as they seem to have good reviews for flats grip and also weights impressive.
They would go on my bora wtos for when weathers decent enough to not be out on the actual winter bike
Any thoughts?

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lakal

by Lakal

Alumen wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:09 pm
My findings:
  • Out of the box it feels like a condom, so thin...
    28mm weighs 220 gram...
    The tread does not pick up debris like the original Corsa's do...
    Undersized: 26,15mm after mounting the tire on 19mm Vision rims, after 120 miles / 200km, the tire has grown slighty, to 26,75mm...
    Fast ! I think actually faster than the original...
    And very comfortable / supple...
It is a shame the Corsa NEXT is a bit undersized, otherwise, it is a very nice tire and worth to try.

Thoughts / your experiences ?
I don't think it is undersized. 19mm inner width is a little narrow for a 28mm these days.

chrisw91

by chrisw91

Lakal wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:14 am
I don't think it is undersized. 19mm inner width is a little narrow for a 28mm these days.
I definitely read somewhere that 19mm (19C) is the ETRTO reference rim on which a 28mm tyre should measure up to 28mm exactly. So it is undersized.

A tyre rep confirmed this because he said that it's odd because a 28mm tyre should measure up to 28mm on a 19C rim, but a 30mm tyre should measure up to 30mm on a 21C rim. So some manufacturers use the same casing width for both 28 & 30mm tyres. Just the tread width is different.

Lakal

by Lakal

chrisw91 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:55 am
Lakal wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:14 am
I definitely read somewhere that 19mm (19C) is the ETRTO reference rim on which a 28mm tyre should measure up to 28mm exactly. So it is undersized.

A tyre rep confirmed this because he said that it's odd because a 28mm tyre should measure up to 28mm on a 19C rim, but a 30mm tyre should measure up to 30mm on a 21C rim. So some manufacturers use the same casing width for both 28 & 30mm tyres. Just the tread width is different.
Where did you read that? Is it only for 28mm or for all tyres? What is the reference rim for a 25mm tyre or a 30mm tyre?

In the Escape Collective review of the Vittoria Corsa Pro it is mentioned that Vittoria has updated their reference rim. On a 20 mm-wide Hunt 34 Aero Wide Disc rim they measure the tyre to 28mm. I guess it is the same for N.EXT.
This is a quotation from Avery from Vittoria in the article:
"“All tires are compliant with the latest ETRTO rim widths at time of launch,” Avery explained. “The reference rims have grown slightly from the previous generation, depending on tire size. This means that if you put them on an old (narrower) rim, the tire will measure slightly smaller than the indicated size.”"

chrisw91

by chrisw91

Lakal wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:34 pm
Where did you read that? Is it only for 28mm or for all tyres? What is the reference rim for a 25mm tyre or a 30mm tyre?
Just messaged a friend who works in the industry. This is what she sent me:
ETRTO measurement width.png
So as I was told, a 25-28mm tyre is measured on a 19C reference rim. A 30mm tyre is a on a 21C rim.

Lakal

by Lakal

Where is it from? ETRTO 2023? And what is the context of the numbers? The ETRTO is only a guideline and the manufacturers does not need to follow the recommendation. Vittoria decides their own reference.
However, it would be nice if the manufacturers stated what internal rim width is used to reach the stated measure.
From a customer perspective, it doesn't make sense to use a 19mm reference rim for a 28mm tyre when the big wheel manufacturers are using a wider rim.
Some examples:
Bontrager: 23mm
Specialized: 21mm
Zipp: 23-25mm
Reserve: 22-26mm
DT Swiss: 20mm
Enve: 25mm

chrisw91

by chrisw91

Source is ETRTO 2023. Context is this is the ETRTO 2023 guideline. Therefore if a manufacturer uses a different reference then they should say so. Otherwise the default reference to assume is that it is using ETRTO.

Some of the wheel brands you mention that have wider rims will now quote a WAM figure for various tyres.

Lakal

by Lakal

chrisw91 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:57 pm
Source is ETRTO 2023. Context is this is the ETRTO 2023 guideline. Therefore if a manufacturer uses a different reference then they should say so. Otherwise the default reference to assume is that it is using ETRTO.

Some of the wheel brands you mention that have wider rims will now quote a WAM figure for various tyres.
Since the ETRTO guideline is not free to read for the customers, I think it is fair to expect every manufacturer to state the inner rim width for the specific tyre.
And this is worth to read about ETRTO: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ch ... ur-safety/

And to OP: I think the grip on this tyre is really good. Others have been complaining about the road feel but I think it was fine. It is a nice training tyre but the rolling resistance is too high to compete with GP5000 and Michelin Power Cup.
Btw, did you read the BRT review? You can read it here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... corsa-next

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Yea i looked through that thanks though

Basso Diamante eps 12

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alumen wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:09 pm

I mean, the tubetype version comes in 30-32-34mm too?

For me it's really hard to justify the Corsa N.EXT when the Pirelli P Zero Race (Speedcore) is faster, has better grip, better puncture resistance and the thread thickness is about the same. The Corsa N.EXT is only a tiny bit less expensive.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Those are in tubeless only though aren't they pal?

Basso Diamante eps 12

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Purchased some next 28mm clinchers yesterday from Condor in London. Will weigh them and mount them soon

Basso Diamante eps 12

robertbb

by robertbb

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:10 am
Purchased some next 28mm clinchers yesterday from Condor in London. Will weigh them and mount them soon Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
On what internal width rim? It'd be super helpful to get a measurement once inflated

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

The rim is a 19mm internal profile and as such is optimised for 25-28mm tyres, i borrow a vernier from work when they are installed and take measurements if no one else has that info handy

Basso Diamante eps 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com