Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport R

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Ypuh wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:45 am
Also installed a GoodYear Eagle F1 R (not SuperSport) tubeless tyre in 30mm last weekend. Definitely needed tyre levers to get them on my 24mm internal rims, it was a serious struggle but not the worst ever (that sport remains at old Schwalbe's). The WAM at 5 bars is 31.5mm and weights 330 and 327g. They also seated easily with a floor pump and provided some NYE-like pings.

They look good, that's all I can say about performance so far.
The 30mm tire is designed around a 21mm inner rim (per ISO / ETRTO). On a 24mm inner rim, they should be approx. 1.2mm wider or 31.2mm after being mounted for 24hrs at max pressure. All clincher bicycle tires (this includes open tubulars, tube-type, and tubeless ready) will grow a bit over their first few rides due to their bias casing. The more layers a tire has, the less it will grow.

They should be able to be mounted by hand. The key is to start opposite the valve and make sure the bead is fully in the center of the rim trough, finishing at the valve. Tape that is brand new (and not fully depressed) or a rim out of ETRTO compliance will make this more difficult.
Doing bike things.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:08 am
Forgot to mention the SuperSports have a directional arrow on the sidewall despite a lack of siping.
In terms of comfort or suppleness how do they compare to the GP5000 S TR or Corsa Pro? I'm really curious to give these a try when my current GPs wear out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Jaisen wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:18 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Forgot to mention the SuperSports have a directional arrow on the sidewall despite a lack of siping.
In terms of comfort or suppleness how do they compare to the GP5000 S TR or Corsa Pro? I'm really curious to give these a try when my current GPs wear out.
I'm pretty numb when it comes to detecting differences in tires other than grip, so don't take my account as gospel.

My 30s currently measure 32.2mm on a 23mm rim. They feel about the same at 50psi as they do at 65psi when it comes to road buzz. It's only in extreme cornering situations where I notice the additional deflection at 50psi, and only when I hit bumps/potholes that I notice 65psi being a bit too firm. I don't know if it means the tire is so supple that I can get away with riding higher pressures or what. By comparison a 30mm GP5K S TR really doesn't feel great at 65psi.

Despite reservations about the tread cap width, the "vent spews" or rubber nibs at the edge of the tread are completely intact so far.

My rear tire does have a small kink in it, but it doesn't really bother me. I've had kinked tires from all brands.

Next time I'm sizing down to 28mm and I’m definitely considering using them as my regular race tire over the GP5Ks.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:18 am
Jaisen wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:18 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
I'm pretty numb when it comes to detecting differences in tires other than grip, so don't take my account as gospel.

My 30s currently measure 32.2mm on a 23mm rim. They feel about the same at 50psi as they do at 65psi when it comes to road buzz. It's only in extreme cornering situations where I notice the additional deflection at 50psi, and only when I hit bumps/potholes that I notice 65psi being a bit too firm. I don't know if it means the tire is so supple that I can get away with riding higher pressures or what. By comparison a 30mm GP5K S TR really doesn't feel great at 65psi.

Despite reservations about the tread cap width, the "vent spews" or rubber nibs at the edge of the tread are completely intact so far.

My rear tire does have a small kink in it, but it doesn't really bother me. I've had kinked tires from all brands.

Next time I'm sizing down to 28mm and I’m definitely considering using them as my regular race tire over the GP5Ks.
Thanks, that's pretty interesting. I'm on 28 GP5000 S TRs (65/70 psi f/r) and am currently thinking of sizing up to these Eagle F1s. I'm not sure I can manage 32s on my Tarmac SL7 so I am likely to go with the 30s on 24 IW rims; I will likely get close to the same WAM as you. The GPs are decent enough but I am hoping to gain extra grip for cornering and maybe if I am lucky get a little extra grip when breaking hard in descents. The Corsa Pros seemed like good candidates but these Eagles seem to have decent rolling resistance, good grip and they are lightweight which helps with sizing up.

I guess they must be supple enough since if they were very harsh you probably would have noticed enough to mention it, plus as you said you seem to be able to ride them higher than the GPs which is another good sign.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

As an FYI, a 28mm tire is designed around a 19mm inner rim (per ISO / ETRTO) and a 30mm is designed around a 21mm inner rim. What this means is that the section width of the tire should measure (+/- 1mm) to be that width when mounted on the design rim after being mounted for 24hrs at max pressure. Bicycle tires are bias meaning there will be a bit of stretching after the 24hrs following use. Since you're starting from a wider inner rim, both will be larger, but the delta from design to applied will be greater on the 28 than the 30 given the starting point of a 24mm inner rim (+5 and +3 accordingly). The growth isn't linear but it's about 0.4 * the difference meaning a 5mm increase in inner rim will grow a 28 section width by 2.0mm.

The tread cap width will be designed for the tire's shape when mounted on the design rim meaning a 30 will have a wider width than a 28. It's not a huge difference, but when you're increasing the base from 19 to 24mm (rim inner), I would take that into account.
Doing bike things.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BRR reported the 28mm SuperSport R as having a 27mm wide tread. My measurements were a little different.

28mm SuperSport R = 28mm tread cap, 71mm casing.
30mm SuperSport R = 29.5mm tread cap, 72.5mm casing.
34mm R = 34mm tread cap, 86mm casing.

So for my samples, the 30mm has the best tread:casing ratio around 40.5% and the 34mm non-SuperSport is about the same as the 28mm SuperSport at 39.5%.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

34mm Eagle F1s on 25mm internal width rims at 60psi = 35.2-35.6mm. I expect them to expand to 36mm.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

@TBH did you happen to measure the 28 when installed. How wide it is...
I am talking about Supersport R...

I am trying to decide between the 25&28mm tube type.

Did weight the tires...LMK thx.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:43 pm

What is the internal width of your rim? I can give you a pretty accurate estimate of the width.
Doing bike things.

andy4g63

by andy4g63

Junior Varsity wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:41 pm
andy4g63 wrote:

What is the internal width of your rim? I can give you a pretty accurate estimate of the width.
My rims are 23 iw...
I am getting a SL8 and wanna keep within the 105 rule...

I have some Pirelli/not TLR in 26 and on that rim they measure 28.4-28.6mm.

Looks like the 28mm of the Supersport R will be around 30+...

LMK cheers

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

andy4g63 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:29 pm
Junior Varsity wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:41 pm
andy4g63 wrote:

My rims are 23 iw...
I am getting a SL8 and wanna keep within the 105 rule...

I have some Pirelli/not TLR in 26 and on that rim they measure 28.4-28.6mm.

Looks like the 28mm of the Supersport R will be around 30+...

LMK cheers
Based on a 23mm inner rim, the estimate for a 28 is 29.6 after 24hrs at max pressure. That will certianly increase a bit (more on the rear than the front) over a few hundred kms. A 25mm tire shouldn't be run on a 23mm inner rim, it's outside of the ETRTO recommendations. Also, as you increase the inner rim, the tread cap isn't optimized for that shape, exposing sidewall, and increasing the chance of a puncture. This also can compromise grip.

FYI, 105 isn't a rule... it's a theory based only on aerodynamics while not taking into account rolling resistance improvements of a larger volume tire. It also doesn't take into account the changing profile shape of a bias clincher tire when increasing the inner rim width. Basically, 105 way over simplifies things to the point of decreasing total system performance rather than increasing it.
Doing bike things.