Tubulars in 2023

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

3Pio wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:12 pm
3Pio wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Having light tubular wheels but bringing a spare tire and a bottle of sealant in case of a flat...it doesn't make you more light!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

More than obviosly that probably u did not used tubulars in everyday use... SO i'll try to clarify this...

In about 50000km of usin tubulars i had to use spare tires only twice.. One of that time i would probably reach home just putting some pressure on every 10km's.. But i prefer to bring spare tubular tires, as its weight just 130gm almost same as regular spare tube...

And few times bringing this spare tubular saved my non tubular friends when they had totaly destroyed tire (yes, i mount this spare tubular on my friend clincher wheel to be able to get home)

Also there is difference if this weight is packet in my saddle bag or rotatinal weight... But anyway i dont care about this added weight..

But at least u have options with tubulars:

1. U want lightest setup - Dont bring sealant, dont bring spare tire, use a phone

2. U want light rotational setup and some safety - Dont put sealant in tire, but have a small bottle with u (30ml is ok) and use the sealant only in the case of puncture (90% of time is working perfectly)

3. U want some safety, dont care about rotational weight - Put sealant in the tire as precausation and just ride...

To continue this, just use ur imagination and make combination u prerfer...

BTW, how many combination like this u can make using Tubeless?
Tubless have the same amount of combination or even more.

I'm tempted to buy used tubular carbon wheels for my climbing bike, what should i inspect on a tubular wheel?

And another question, what do you use, glue or tape?

I find the tape idea is great but not sure if it holds the tire in place safely

I did not know that there is Tubeless spare tire weighting 130gm.. Also did not know that there is Tubeless possible to ride without any sealant to save some rotational weight...

But anyway seem that u have ur ideal choice of wheelset/tire combination.. Just go tubeless...

For ur last question, Im using Vittoria Mastik glue.. Dont see a single reason why should i use tape instead of glue (process of glueing is not time consumin as it maybe look like, and is not a problem when u get used of it...)
Latex tubes weight around 70g, you can run inner tubes in a tubless tire no problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

nickf wrote:I ran tubulars for years and all I had on my road bikes. I eventually switched to Carogna Tubular Tape. Tape is THE way to go. Never an issue with adhesion. Pull off the worn tire, re-tape it, and mount the new tire. No layers of glue, no smell, no messy brushes.

I would carry a CO2 and a small bottle of sealant. Sealant got me home a couple of times in the past and also sealed it until the tire was worn out. Once I moved I got 2 unrepairable punctures fairly close together and had to call my wife to pick me up both times. After that, I was back on clinchers. I never carried a spare tire, defeats the purpose if you ask me. I will probably not go back to tubulars. I do miss the weight and feel of them though, they ride so well.
If i get tubular tires, i will probably use tape since its way less messy