36 to 40mm tyres for Allroad ?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MichaelB

by MichaelB

Hiya, the post in the Road section, copied below, seems to indicate (and comments on BRR) indicate that whilst the Challenge Strada Bianca Pro tyres, especially 40mm) are shite in the wet on the road (and of course I've just fitted a pair :roll: and the TLR was an absolute mother to fit :x ) , anyone got any alternate recommendations for when I've worn out this set hopefully before winter comes ?
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:33 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 am
RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:18 am
Depends on the road surface. On slick asphalt, yeah, they're lethal. But IMO no more so than similar tires. I.E. I've found the GK Slicks just as bad as Strada Bianca HTLR on smooth asphalt. On rougher tarmac they're certainly not class leading, but not dangerous either.

But the amount of time I ride on smooth asphalt, is very small, and smooth wet asphalt is close to nil.

Anyway once available in larger sizes, these should be my tire of choice for dry weather given the excellent RR at 60psi, and good puncture protection. Challenge say end of year / early next for the bigger sizes. I'd guess there will be a 30 and 33 if they conform to sizing in other tires.

Not my experience at all. With 40mm Strada Bianca Pros I went down instantly (slid out both tires) while taking a slow corner at about 25km/h with barely a lean and no brakes. Everyone else in my group made it around with no issues on regular narrow road bike tires. The road was damp and the surface was standard asphalt/bitumen.

Check the comment section here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... r#comments
Crikey - just fitted a pair of these to my Commter/All road bike. Not Winter here yet, but coming soon.

So if the 40mm Strada Bianca Pro tyres are shite in the wet, whats an alternative that grips in the wet and is OK for the odd gravel in the 36-40mm size ?

warthog101

by warthog101

Not sure if these will clear your frame Michael?
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... er-s-works
I haven't used them yet but would like to slap one on the rear wheel on the Revolt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I know they're not trendy and they are heavy but how about a Schwalbe Marathon Almotion?
That tread looks like it'd be fine with some occasional gravel and as it's a Marathon it's super tough and grippy which are big positives if being used for commuting:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... tion-addix

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Cheers guys.

Will have a look at both options and check on BRR as well.

Have plenty of tyre clearance Warty - up to 55mm, but think 38-40 is the sweet spot for majority of usage.

ComeKnowMeAsGC

by ComeKnowMeAsGC

Happy with my GK SS in 38mm for allroad purposes (I *never* ride in the wet but do ride in some loose over hard and theyre 'fine')

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

If you're happy to go a little smaller. The gp5000 urban is fantastic, but not tubeless.
The compound is tailored towards wet weather conditions, but is still competitively fast.

I've tried most of the tyres rated highly by cycling rolling resistance, and these are probably the only ones I'd buy again.
Cheap too, which is a bonus.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Cheers, have seen that too.

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

I love Specialized Pathfinders pro. They are very quick on the road and fine for gravel/slight off-road. No problem setting them up tubeless. They are very durable as well. I've never flatted them during aroun 10k km I had them on even though they took some pretty big hits. I've changed them to new ones just in case, they looked like they could go for another few k km easily. I've used them for road riding as well until I changed to proper road tires and I was very surprised how small a difference it is. My guesstimate is that data from BRR is quite a good guideline but the test is done for 90kg rider (45kg per wheel). It's a smaller difference for me as I am lighter.
The only downside is that they are heavy but imo it's a price worth paying for the durability. I've had Contis Terra Speed for a few k km but flatted the front. I've seen two more flats on Contis on my gravel group rides as well.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Schwalbe G One RS in 40?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Grateful for the recommendations and will look into comparing them on BRR.

Most of the riding will be road but the odd bit of good gravel as I did on yesterdays ride.

Was about to buy a spare Strada Bianca tyre when I ordered my mudguards, but the feedback re the tyres in the wet has me holding off on the order.

Cheers

Michael

MichaelB

by MichaelB

So, finally had a chnace to do a quick dive into BRR to get the following stats based on the recommendations. Nopte that anything over 25/26mm is treated as a Touring tyres, and couldn't see any data for the current crop of 34mm roadie tyres.

I've bolded the better (green) cat winners and (red) horror ones, and it's really interesting.

About to put in an order for some backup tyres to the Strada Bianca Pro's in 40mm that I have, and reckon that the Conti Urban nones are a potentially good compromise. If I get more into the gravel, it'll have to wait till I get the new chainrings to get better gearing and more money in the piggy bank.

Cheers

warthog101

by warthog101

A bit late given you have probably ordered the stradas but I have just fitted some 35mm Panaracer Gravelking TLCs to the WR50s.
https://road.cc/content/review/panarace ... tlc-292361
They are light at 309g. Will take them on the rail trail tomorrow and see how they fare on light, smooth gravel.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:51 pm
A bit late given you have probably ordered the stradas but I have just fitted some 35mm Panaracer Gravelking TLCs to the WR50s.
They are light at 309g. Will take them on the rail trail tomorrow and see how they fare on light, smooth gravel.
Tyres not yet purchased, but in above chart, the wet weather grip isn't much better and puncture resistance is worse.

Wet weather grip will be important and whilst I haven't included them on the above list, the proper touring tyres have better grip and puncture resistance but at the penalty of a bit more weight and higher RR

warthog101

by warthog101

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:59 pm
warthog101 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:51 pm
Tyres not yet purchased, but in above chart, the wet weather grip isn't much better and puncture resistance is worse.

Wet weather grip will be important and whilst I haven't included them on the above list, the proper touring tyres have better grip and puncture resistance but at the penalty of a bit more weight and higher RR
Fair enough.
Wet grip doesn't matter here. If it's raining I'm not riding.
On a commuter that prob isn't the case.
Was doing a hunjy today. Nup, it is wet.

I am not too sure about the puncture resistance testing. Had a terrible run out of Tufo thundero and speedero. Won't use them again.
I think they weren't too bad on their tests.

A far more road than gravel oriented tyre imo, despite the "Gravelking" name.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Avoid riding when it's raining, but will still ride when road is wet, so still want some good level of grip