Want a set of wheels specifically for Raid Pyrenees

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Hi guys

As the title suggests, I'm attempting raid pryrenees with a group of friends later in the year (supported), and I'm thinking new wheels. For the last few year I've taken my lightweights to France on my cycle trips. But that was on the premise that if it did rain heavily one day I'd just bail and have a day off the bike maybe. This time I don't have that option so I need a tubular rim break wheelset with better braking in the wet.

Would a set of Bora 35 Ultras do the job? Im a bit out of the loop in terms of the latest and greatest brake tracks...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobinski

by bobinski

👀

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Maybe a stupid question but if it's a supported event could you take a second wheelset with you just in case?
Personally I'd go for an alloy brake track if specifically for descending in the rain.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Miller

by Miller

TurboTommy wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:21 pm
Im a bit out of the loop in terms of the latest and greatest brake tracks...
The latest and greatest brake tracks have been minimised to an ultra-compact form factor located on the left-hand side of the hub. It's remarkable really. You should investigate.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Miller don't start this please

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

spartacus

by spartacus

You'd rather not ride at all than be seen on alloy wheels? lol

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anything decent with a grooved brake track will do the job. Just take some spare brake pads as they will get chewed up fast on the grooved track. Campy wheels will work just fine.

BUT, to repeat myself, this works if you are light, but can be a problem if you are bigger. In that case alloy is the only safe bet. Depending on which descents are used, the brakes may not be too stressed. Some others though, may require you to "hold" the bike quite a bit. Worth researching the exact route carefully.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Miller

by Miller

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:29 pm
Miller don't start this please ImageImage
Sorry. Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com