Tubeless inserts

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
pushpush

by pushpush

I recently got a lecture from an enthusiastic fan of tubeless inserts about how they are the greatest thing ever.

As someone that carries tools, inflation, and a tube, I'm not at all convinced that this is something I need to add to my life. BUT it made me curious if anyone here has experience good or bad to share. And what you do with the foam strip if the sealant doesnt work and you need to put a regular tube in? Carry it? Seems like unneccessary hassle. Am I missing something?

For clarity, I'm not talking about a liner, but rather one of those rigid foam rings that sits inside the tire to supposedly take up some volume, and offer some additional protection in the event of a flat.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've failed install of vittoria tire liners a few times... but I keep trying. I will be attemping once my 5000STRs wear out so I'll be trying Michelin PowerCup TLRs next. I think they are a good idea, but extremely tight fitting.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I was able to install my second Vittoria Air Liner without much fuss after figuring out all the little techniques with the first install.

Are they worth it? IMO only if you actually compete/race. Considering I hit a pothole sharp enough to burp sealant out of both tires in last Saturday's race, they probably saved my rims from destruction.

pushpush

by pushpush

Both tires is impressive. I've only burped sealant from one at a time. You should get some kind of special trophy for that.

I'm intrigued but I also value simplicity in life. Right now, I think simplicity is winning. Thanks for the insights.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's also very hard to say for sure, but I IMO they have an adverse effect ride quality. The tires feel more firm at the same pressure, which makes sense since air volume is reduced.