Campagnolo Bora Ultra WTO Quality Control Issues?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
tiangco

by tiangco

Hey everyone. First post here.

I just recently purchased a set of Campy Bora Ultra WTO 45 Disc from ProBikeKit, and upon receiving them I was unpleasantly surprised at their finish quality. I'm posting here for opinions on if this is normal or abnormal. It's possible my standards are unreasonably high, but I do have a set of Rim Brake Bora WTO's that do not appear to have the same issues. There is an album of images and videos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/o7dJhYruqbSrrR989

There are 3 types of issues:
1. inconsistencies in the carbon layup or weave
2. superficial scratches under the clearcoat finish
3. possible rim deflection due to spoke tension(?) or maybe just inconsistencies around the spoke holes (?)
• I'm pretty forgiving about #1 because it's carbon fiber, but I want to make sure that nothing I am seeing is worse than I think it is.
• I think #2 is totally unacceptable for a wheelset of this price and caliber
• And I can't imagine spoke tension is causing for a ripple in the carbon, but I do see ripples consistent to where the spokes enter the rim.

I'm in touch with PBK but I've heard bad stories about their customer service, especially when customers are overseas (I am in the States) so I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for reading
Roland
Last edited by tiangco on Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

It's unbelievable that point 2 happens!

For point 3, I remember that happened on my Bora One 50 Tubular (rim brake) more seriously.

My Bora Ultra WTO 60 has similar blemishes in the attached photo.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Attermann

by Attermann

The rims doesn't have any clear coat, so that can't happen.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Few years ago I had carbon wheelset from aliexpress for 300 bucks. It looked much better than this.

I´d immediately return it and asked to refund shipping fees.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Attermann is correct. The surface is not painted.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Techno ... lux_finish

Why not reach out to Campagnolo and see what they have to say.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiangco

by tiangco

Thanks everyone. I have contacted Campagnolo and am waiting on a response. I posted this in another forum and there is speculation that these might be factory seconds, and that PBK could be a channel for factory seconds. Again, only speculation, but when I examine these wheels it's very easy to conclude that these would not/should not have passed their standards.