Continental GP5000 AS TR (winter road tire)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bobones

by bobones

ice29 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:35 am
Any longer term reports on puncture protection? Moved from Switzerland, where I was riding Conti 4000, 5000, 5000 s tr for many years without punctures, to California and got two big punctures in one week on 5000 s tr (had to use plugs, fresh sealant was not able to seal)... They will not work here, need something similar but more resistant
I've been riding 35 mm AS TRs all winter in Scotland where the roads are usually wet and it's easy to pick up cuts and punctures from debris. Compared to other tyres I have used, the AS TRs seem almost immune to cuts as the surface rubber remains smooth and free of blemishes even after a couple of thousand miles of mixed terrain riding. In that time, I've had one long sharp thorn penetrate the tyre, but I only noticed this when cleaning the bike as there was no loss of pressure while riding (running tubeless with Orange Seal). The AS TRs inspire confidence with their toughness and grip. They're reasonably comfortable but noticeably heavier than S TRs. All things considered, I think they're a perfect winter tyre and will buy them again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Initial impressions on my 32mm cream versions. Far faster on smooth surfaces than they have any right to be given how thick and stiff they are. Ride quality is poor, the worst of any modern 'race' tires I've run, and speed suffers as a result on bad surfaces. They feel very stiff and I had to drop pressures significantly from what I've run on Enve (Tufo) and S TRs. Slow AF up steeper gradients - you definitely feel the weight. Their volume is significantly larger than the S TR, or any other 32s I've tried. They're wide, but also really tall. Some frames with clearance for 32s aren't going to fit these on even moderately wide rims. Dry grip is nothing to write home about. Haven't been tested in the wet yet. So far no cuts or punctures, despite a load of debris. Went on very easily, even with the insert. Cream looks nice.