Continental GP5000 AS TR (winter road tire)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jayjay

by jayjay

Do these AS TR have petter puncture protection than the regular GP 5000 if I keep running TPU tubes?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

So what’s the consensus on this tire? Good/bad. Looking for a winter/ commuter tire for the long winter months. The reflex strip would be nice to have on a tire in winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:05 pm
So what’s the consensus on this tire? Good/bad. Looking for a winter/ commuter tire for the long winter months. The reflex strip would be nice to have on a tire in winter.
I'd like to know as well. BRR has them test pretty awesome and they rate them higher than the Corsa Pro Control, which I feel like is a competitor to these. I'm looking for a 32 or 35 mil tire for the winter and it's either these or the Corsa Pro (not control, too slow).
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I got a set first impressions are good. They look tough but mounted up pretty easily. 32mm measured 31mm on 20mm rims.

kytyree

by kytyree

I’ve got a set of the 35’s on backorder, should be here end of the month. Think I’ll try them as my winter “road” tires on the gravel bike.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

35mm mounted, measuring 36mm. Riding a 100 miles on Sunday so will report back after. My Saffron is on 32mm 5000 s tr so that will be the benchmark
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

steveadore

by steveadore

Has anyone tried both these and the S-Works Mondo? I have the Mondo 35c tubeless and find them a bit sluggish. I like the tubed GP5000 but I've read too many negative reviews about the GP5000 S TR for tubeless, so I'm thinking about trying the AS TR instead. But they seem to be even heavier than the Mondo, so I'm wondering if it's worth swapping the Mondo out for the AS TR at all.

AJS914

by AJS914

I wanted these but I'm sad that they don't make them in 30mm. I'm thinking of trying the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR in 30mm. On BRR, they rate the same the AS TR as far as watts but rate better in flat resistance and have a thicker tread.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

100 mile ride in shit conditions. Comfortable, fast and grippy. Do the job well
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bobones

by bobones

Alpinetrek are selling the black 32 and 35 for £55.87 each including VAT (and delivery, if you spend £75). 7% on Topcashback too!

I've just bought a pair of 35s to go on my upcoming Venon winter build.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

AJS914 wrote:I wanted these but I'm sad that they don't make them in 30mm. I'm thinking of trying the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR in 30mm. On BRR, they rate the same the AS TR as far as watts but rate better in flat resistance and have a thicker tread.
32’s measure 31 so not much difference from a 30

tepextate

by tepextate

Does anybody know if these are compatible with ENVE rims?

The product description says this'll work with hookless, but they're not listed on the official compatibility chart.

I emailed Conti, and they said to email their distribution for the answer. I emailed their distributor, and they said to email Conti, lol.

Might just pick up some Vittoria N.EXT at this point...

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yes, the Enve compatibility list is just a paid advertisement for brands

ice29

by ice29

Any longer term reports on puncture protection? Moved from Switzerland, where I was riding Conti 4000, 5000, 5000 s tr for many years without punctures, to California and got two big punctures in one week on 5000 s tr (had to use plugs, fresh sealant was not able to seal)... They will not work here, need something similar but more resistant

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HBike

by HBike

During winter I use Tufo Thundero (36c) or Spikes on my gravel bike for commuting, now 5000 AS TR in 35c for the rest. Just put them up this week-end.
Very nice, more direct road feel, better grip, less RR but 40g heavier each (easily compensated by better RR). Seal immediately, seat with floor pump easily. 3.2 and 3.5 bar on 25mm inner width Giant wheels, inflate to 35mm and 35.3mm at the moment.

Thread and sidewalls are thicker than Tufos.