Wheels Lab Tests

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Agent041

by Agent041

I bought a set of Farsport Ventoux EVO4. Have riden them only on a gravel bike, as I still wait for my new road bike. So it is toughf to give a personal opinion.

The reason I bought them, was that I saw a chart from PeakTorque video, and saw they are suposed to be very very stiff. Front around 66, and rear around 61. (these values are for 55m depth, as mine are 45mm so probably little lower). Also low weight (around 1.250g).

I know that the measurment can be diferrant than shown here in first post, but when comparing Winspace Hypers, the values are prety similar here and from PeakTorque.

Any thoughts on those wheels? They are Farsport flagship wheels.
https://www.farsports.com/products/farsports-evo-series
Attachments
Farsport stifness.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Agent041 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:38 pm
Am wondering why it is normal and standard that the front wheels are always stiffer than rear wheels. Is that just bacause of lack of freehub or is it intentional made so? And why?
Does better frontal stifness come to play only when standing pedaling, or also seated?
I think that's because of the freehub you have much steeper angle spoke angle on the right side of the rear wheel. Some manufacturers use stronger spokes on this side of the rear wheel for the added stiffness.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

Agent041 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:38 pm
Am wondering why it is normal and standard that the front wheels are always stiffer than rear wheels. Is that just bacause of lack of freehub or is it intentional made so? And why?
Does better frontal stifness come to play only when standing pedaling, or also seated?
As above, the longer axle on the rear wheel contributes to some of the extra flex, but the main reason is the reducting in spoke bracing angle on the right side to leave room for the cassette. As sprockets were added to the freewheel/cassette over the years, wheel dishing has increased, which is partially why rims got heavier (in the 1970s, rims as light as 260 grams were made by several companies - but these light rims couldn't handle the tension differentials with the increased dishing, and rims got heavier).

Another factor is that lateral flex is better tolerated on rear wheels than front wheels. The control, balance, and stability of a bike is dependent on fine control when steering the front wheel. A flexy front wheel is more difficult to control, particularly under hard cornering. This a large part of the reason that disc brake front wheels typically have more spokes than rim brake front wheel. Disc brakes do create higher spoke loads, but spokes fail from cyclic fatigue (not momentary overload), and brake torque is intermittant so has little affect on fatigue life. But leaving room on one side for the disc brake and rotor requires that disc brake wheels dished, which reduces lateral stiffness, and adding extra spokes can restore that lateral stiffness.

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

I'd be curious to see how the Caden wheels are doing...

C36

by C36

uncle-gee wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 pm
I'd be curious to see how the Caden wheels are doing...
Nothing exceptional, I don't have absolute numbers but the 49mm version was a bit flexier than DT ARC 1100 50mm so could extrapolate to be in the low 40N/mm max.
Edit: that was decadence model