Wheels Lab Tests

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
C36

by C36

I am surprised by the rim weight: 350g is light considering width, but was expecting closer to 300g to reach the 1155g mark, so weight gains are on the spokes and hubs. For example the old C24 Tubular (yes, very different and very narrow), had <275g rims, the wheelset weighted 1132g and reached a substentially stiffer wheel, slightly above 40N/mm on the rear (25% higher!). Another illustration of the complexity to be very light and stiff...

ccie6872

by ccie6872

If I read this chart correctly and Partingtons claim are right at 55N/mm front & rear stiffness near the top of the list with a weight of 1160?

https://partington.cc/en-us/products/r- ... 44-painted

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

If that is accurate, yes it would rank at the top of wheel stiffness.

But seeing the same number for the front and the rear is rather surprising (few wheels achieved it but rather rare, especially at those high numbers), usually have 15% drop due to the geometry, partially compensated by few more spokes.

Siriuslux

by Siriuslux

Are any stiffness data available for the DtSwiss 1400 or 1100 ERC 45?
I will be getting these on my new Exept bike.

RDY

by RDY

ccie6872 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:07 pm
If I read this chart correctly and Partingtons claim are right at 55N/mm front & rear stiffness near the top of the list with a weight of 1160?

https://partington.cc/en-us/products/r- ... 44-painted
Are people really buying €7200 wheels from a startup?

Eric842

by Eric842

C36 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:49 pm
First able: absolute numbers
second table: relative performance compared to best in class
New wheels highlighted in blue

Same same but different, for bars-chart fans
Thanks for sharing. Does it have any information about Dura-ace C50? It should be better than Ultegra C36 as it's higher level than Ultegra.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Eric842 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:14 am
C36 wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Does it have any information about Dura-ace C50? It should be better than Ultegra C36 as it's higher level than Ultegra.
Dura Ace C50 would be more comparable to the Ultegra C50 as they share the same rims and most parts, the only difference is the hub and spokes to reduce the weight on the DA line. The Dura Ace C36 would be the comparison to the Ultegra C36. However, like the Roval CL vs CLX II series, there isn't a big or noticeable real world difference other than the weight. But sure, it would be nice to see all the wheels tested against each other. Maybe with enough time.

ETA: The Dura Ace C50 results are posted on the first page of this thread (in fact the very first post).

Eric842

by Eric842

Jaisen wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 am
Eric842 wrote:
C36 wrote:

Dura Ace C50 would be more comparable to the Ultegra C50 as they share the same rims and most parts, the only difference is the hub and spokes to reduce the weight on the DA line. The Dura Ace C36 would be the comparison to the Ultegra C36. However, like the Roval CL vs CLX II series, there isn't a big or noticeable real world difference other than the weight. But sure, it would be nice to see all the wheels tested against each other. Maybe with enough time.

ETA: The Dura Ace C50 results are posted on the first page of this thread (in fact the very first post).
Thanks Jaisen,

I could see the DA C50 results but it is very interesting to see that DA C50 has lower stiffness than Ultegra C36. And the DA C50 is marked as Rim version, so I assume it is tublar model. DA C50 tublar and tubeless may have different carbon stiffness? Not sure how we should see the test results.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Eric842 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:03 am
Jaisen wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 am
Eric842 wrote:
C36 wrote:

Thanks Jaisen,

I could see the DA C50 results but it is very interesting to see that DA C50 has lower stiffness than Ultegra C36. And the DA C50 is marked as Rim version, so I assume it is tublar model. DA C50 tublar and tubeless may have different carbon stiffness? Not sure how we should see the test results.
Nice catch, I didn't notice that on the chart. So something weird is going on there. It says it is the Shimano r9200 c50 dics TL CL version. I don't know why there is CL there, the Shimano product codes don't have CL. But TL means tubeless, TU would be tubular. The ”dics” is surely a typo for disc, but then as you note, the right column says they are the rim brake model, and r9200 is a rim model. So something is wrong there, plus r9270 would be the disc brake version. Still surprising that given they are deeper they aren't as stiff as the c36 version.

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yoln

by Yoln

In the end, the lost mind boggling is how small the differences are between the absolute best and absolute worst. 5w at 45kph at best. Not even 2.5w between any middle of the fairway wheelset and the absolute best. That's nothing. There's more to gain between good and very good tires...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Nickldn

by Nickldn

^ Yep, that's about the long and short of it. We spend hours a week measurebating on this forum, but it all amounts to a slightly tighter fitting jersey.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:01 pm
^ Yep, that's about the long and short of it. We spend hours a week measurebating on this forum, but it all amounts to a slightly tighter fitting jersey.
In isolation it's not much. But if you're careful picking a wheelset, you're probably also careful about clothing, helmet, etc. If you make 5 equipment choices that are a few watts each, you've got a noticeable end-result.

I'd wager that applies to most people. If you're OCD about wheels, you're paying attention to the other stuff too.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Lightweight should be pretty high and Mavic CCU, talking stiffness. Very direct feeling wheels but the ride feel isn't at all like Enve or Zipp.
Zipp have a plush comfortable ride feel and the first two, harsher almost nervous. It's not just the wheels that make the all over ride feel, it's the frameset and wheels in conjunction. I honestly believe a match to the bike you have (talking ride feel) will be what is most rewarding.
If you ride a steel bike or a plush riding frame you can surely go for very stiff wheels. But a super stiff frame and super stiff wheels, well that will be a harsh riding combo.
For wheels 40-50mm, if you ride a few wheelsets back and forth for a few months i doubt you can see any true gains in one set over another.
Difference will be so small you start to feel you are dealing with a placebo effect or are biased.
If you buy a new set, you will probably push harder without even thinking about it.
If you go for deep section wheels you'll need to account for another thing, the lateral movement will increase due to the shape of a deep section rim.
In short, if you ride rim brakes you would see more rub.

Anyday, the most easily fooled people are those riding upright with aero frames and aero wheels.
Quite often at very expensive bikes. I don't know if should laugh or cry :noidea:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Agent041

by Agent041

Am wondering why it is normal and standard that the front wheels are always stiffer than rear wheels. Is that just bacause of lack of freehub or is it intentional made so? And why?
Does better frontal stifness come to play only when standing pedaling, or also seated?