Wheels Lab Tests

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C36

by C36

NordicSal wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 pm
What's the drawback from the cadex wheels?
I just realized the tire limitation the Cadex have for the hookless version, it's a bit of a mess to understand what is tested as not working and what is not approved but so far you are not suppose to use the GP5K S TR on the 50 Ultra "as per Continental's specifications on rim inner width, the Continental GP5000 S TR in size 700x25C is only apt for use on the CADEX 42 and CADEX 42 Disc' (could this be legacy of old etrto specs?). The Corsa are also out but at least you can use the Cups... Now always difficult to see what is cover-my-ass and what is really not suppose to be used.
Last edited by C36 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nereth

by Nereth

I'm sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but what is the basis of the aero watts numbers? Are they tour test numbers, but with a bunch of wheels into a standardised frame?

I ask because the numbers are of the right order of magnitude to be that - but differences between wheelsets seem lower than the differences they've had in the past when they swap out wheels between control wheels (404s) and whatever-comes-with-the-bike wheels. So I'm wandering what's up.

I realise the magzine iteself does a poor job of this - so the informatiom may not exist - but it would be handy to have a model year for the wheels, since many manufacturers re-release stuff with the same name and different performance.

LuigiG

by LuigiG

DELETED
Last edited by LuigiG on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ichobi

by ichobi

So on paper considering all factors and notwithstanding the hookless stuff, the Cadex seems like a great performer all around given it’s up there in weight, aero, stiffness and rim design? Hub seems solidly engineered too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxima

by maxima

Except it is hookless and the ride is rough...comparing to Lightweight and Bikeahead composite
ichobi wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:07 am
So on paper considering all factors and notwithstanding the hookless stuff, the Cadex seems like a great performer all around given it’s up there in weight, aero, stiffness and rim design? Hub seems solidly engineered too.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Yes, except that they're hookless and the price absolutely isn't on the friendly side either.

Edit: heh, I see hookless already mentioned before me :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ichobi

by ichobi

Technically i can see that with hookless construction and wide int width, it demands quite low tire pressure so that might offset some of the rough vibration by design?

Hookless, price both are definitely big concerns. I have just came off testing the Black Inc Five (five spokes wheels) which is 1318g a pair and i can see the immediate benefit of a very stiff design on modern rim bed (wide enough to not bee too harsh) and the stiffness it provides is nothing like other spoked wheels these past generations. The sure-footedness is out of this world when cornering at speed as well as on fast descent.

It’s only 30mm rim depth but with toroidal spoke shapes. The whoosh whoosh sound it makes is fun!

Really want to try the cadex if not for the limb-selling price.

C36

by C36

I would be curious to see them tested. Historically those types of constructions are not super stiff (if we except the track specific "Io" that are quite another type of beast), Specialized Tri-spokes, Corima 4 Spokes (or more recent 3 spokes), Pro or Cadex... Having the "blades" or "sticks" so narrow, put them under a lot of flexion rather than tension (there are no "brace angle"), then more complicate to make the sturcutre stiff.

Now compared to other similar wheels, they do not seem to have go the full-aero route, then my interest in terms of behavior.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

@C36 thank you for starting this thread and compiling the data. For me the decision comes down to three options and I will ignore the drag numbers because they are all so close. At 188cm / 85kg with a solid sprint, I think the rear wheel stiffness is likely the most important spec, followed by weight. Tires will be 25C Conti or Michelin clinchers.

Wheel model / aero drag / stability (lower is better) / F-R stiffness (higher is better) / wheelset weight

DT Swiss ARC1100 62 / 216.1W / 6. / 54-49 / 1698g
>>Stiffest rear wheel but heaviest overall

Shimano Dura Ace C60 / 216.3W / 6. / 55-46 / 1638g
>>Decent rear stiffness, average weight and nice old school cup/cone bearings

Bontrager RSL 62 / 216.4W / 4. / 55-44 / 1538g
>>Lowest rear stiffness and lowest weight

Any feedback on other pros or cons I have overlooked?

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

RedRacer wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:53 pm
@C36 thank you for starting this thread and compiling the data. For me the decision comes down to three options and I will ignore the drag numbers because they are all so close. At 188cm / 85kg with a solid sprint, I think the rear wheel stiffness is likely the most important spec, followed by weight. Tires will be 25C Conti or Michelin clinchers.

Wheel model / aero drag / stability (lower is better) / F-R stiffness (higher is better) / wheelset weight

DT Swiss ARC1100 62 / 216.1W / 6. / 54-49 / 1698g
>>Stiffest rear wheel but heaviest overall

Shimano Dura Ace C60 / 216.3W / 6. / 55-46 / 1638g
>>Decent rear stiffness, average weight and nice old school cup/cone bearings

Bontrager RSL 62 / 216.4W / 4. / 55-44 / 1538g
>>Lowest rear stiffness and lowest weight

Any feedback on other pros or cons I have overlooked?
Subjectively, Shimano wheels just roll nice. Is it the cup/cone bearings? Hard to say, but they just work. Objectively, the Bontragers are quite a bit lighter, have effectively the same aero drag, supposedly the most stable, and are only slightly less stiff when compared to the Shimano and DT Swiss options.

saracen888

by saracen888

The matte finish with the shimmering Dura Ace logos look ace too

spartan

by spartan

comparing tour mag drag number vs giant's own testing protocol.

https://www.cadex-cycling.com/global/te ... ultra-disc

so even giant admits the diff is so small less than 1.5 watt . tires make a larger difference.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

kitchencity

by kitchencity

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:50 pm
No, my mistake then. Didn't even know there is a carbon spoke version. Newmen doesn't even list them on their website i think. A shame that they're so narrow. Could've been a really interesting wheelset otherwise.
https://www.newmen-components.de/Konfig ... 63d707915&

According to the Tour article Newmen are going to be importing/distributing the carbon spokes used by Giant, Hunt etc. into Europe under the brand name Vonoa.

Given you can't buy any aftermarket hubs that take carbon spoke, I can't really see the play here. But maybe build it and they will come.

I have a pair of these which use the same spokes.
https://www.speedercycling.com/28mm-Wid ... _p395.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

See elite wheels have carbon spokes. Not sure if they sell separately but a review of rim had off centered drillings in rim bed for a better alignment of the carbon spokes.

Might be worth checking the meta for using carbon spokes.

The dyneema/Berd are another option too..