2023: Going back to Clinchers-> Best Tire?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
FishNo6

by FishNo6

Damn, ninja'd.
I have 235g & 221g for black GP5000 28 & 25 respectively. For guesstimating sealant weight; assuming roughly the same density as water, then a typical 40ml of sealant weighs 40g, so rather more than a tpu or latex tube.

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

I just installed Michelin power cup clincher 28c with tpu tubes. Crushed few segments by big margin right away. It feels crazy fast and mega comfy. It has the rolling resistance of gp5000 And comfort of vittoria corsa. I don't want another tire ever :) absolutely love it
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Curiouser and curiouser. Well, as any good scientist should, I first have to question my scale. So I did some quick tests. First, compare to another scale. I have a mini scale that does 1/10th of g, but only goes up to 400g. So I tested various household objects from 7g up to 376g. And they're spot on apart from the rounding (7.2g and 7g, 14.7g and 15g, etc). The next step weighing known objects, or in my case, water. Wtaer I 1g per ml. And I happen to have various syringes that I've taken from work (they're great for tubeless sealant top-offs). I tested 50ml, 100ml, 200ml, 500ml. All measurements were withing 3g of the expected on the scale.

With that in mind, I have a few theories. We know that the cream wall color is heavier, though 60-80g heavier seems excessive. Could be a batch issue that these tires were heavier, or they just use a lot of color to get the look (sort of like white paint requiring more to cover the black). The other explanation could be a small change in the buildup in the newer batches, like slightly thicker tread or sidewalls. We have heard of companies slightly changing the tire makeup over the years without changing the model. Perhaps the earlier versions were slightly lighter. Who knows. I'm tempted to pick up some new black wall tires and weigh them.
FishNo6 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:25 pm
typical 40ml of sealant weighs 40g, so rather more than a tpu or latex tube.
Damn, how much sealant are you using? It'll weigh more than a TPU tube for sure like I said, but shouldn't be more than a latex tube unless you're putting a crazy amount in.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mocs123

by Mocs123

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:38 pm
In the name of science, I did some ordering.

- GP5000 clincher in 28 cream wall (tube type): 279g, 285g
- GP5000 S TR 25 black wall (tubeless): 264g
- GP5000 S TR 28 black wall (tubeless): 283g, 278g
- GP5000 TL 28 black wall (tubeless): 289g, 296g
- Challenge Criterium RS 27 (tubeless): 262g, 250g
- Challenge Criterium RS 25 (tubeless): 228g
- Vittoria Competition latex tube 25/28: 78g
- RideNow TPU tube (reguler version, not ultralight): 33g
- random butyl tube (I think a 25 or 28?): 154g
- Schwalbe Pro ONE TLE 25 (tubeless): 262g
- Tubolito S-Tubo TPU tube:23g
- tubeless valve stems 50mm: 13g pair

So full weight of tube type clinchers and
- latex tubes: 720g
- TPU tubes: 630g

Thoughts: Tubeless is lighter by a good bit from the tires I weighed, surprisingly so. I knew the cream wall clinchers would be heavier than the black ones, but I didn't expect them to be the same or more than the tubeless tires. The Challenge tires are a good bit lighter and only lose a watt or two to the GP5000 S TR tires. I've been using them on my crit bike and they've been really good. I think BRR rates them better for puncture protection as well. Substantial weight savings with TPU tubes, and could go even lighter with the 18g ultralight versions, which would probably put them on par with tubeless + sealant. Sorry, I was too lazy to weigh out sealant and didn't want to waste it. But I would imagine it's a similar weight to the TPU tubes and probably lighter than latex.
Just note that the GP5000 comes in a creme wall, which is painted on the outside of the black tire (and adds weight) and a transparant which is a little darker, and is actually brown rubber. The transparant GP5000's weigh the same as the black tires.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

skom25

by skom25

Have anyone of you tried GP5000 and Corsa N.EXT and have comparison? I have Road+ bike, so 32c GP5000 and 34c Vittoria.

I tried both, still cannot decide which are better and I am curious if my opinion is similar to other users.

macwatt

by macwatt

skom25 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:46 am
Have anyone of you tried GP5000 and Corsa N.EXT and have comparison? I have Road+ bike, so 32c GP5000 and 34c Vittoria.

I tried both, still cannot decide which are better and I am curious if my opinion is similar to other users.
I've tried Corsa N.EXT on my friends TCR on dry conditions compared to GP5000's they definitely felt slower more draggy, grip was good but didn't feel any better wet conditions may be different, puncture protection slightly better on Corsa's.

If you've not had any issues with GP5000's then I would recommend you stick with them unless cost for Corsa's is significantly less or you prefer the feel of them.

skom25

by skom25

Thank you.

I started with N.ext and they were nice, but I thought that GP5000 would be better. I changed them and GP5000 felt faster but less comfortable. After some time I went back to N.ext and they felt great...

Unfortunately, something strange happened. Some day, they just started to feel draggy. I check pressure before every ride, there is no mechanical issues which can cause drag.

Is it possible, that casing settled down ( I do not know better word), tires became softer are more draggy?

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I am using Pirelli P Zero Race which is light and pretty true to listed sizes when mounted.

Have used Rene Herse Extralight tires which also rode great. However, wore fairly quickly.

macwatt

by macwatt

skom25 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:21 pm
Thank you.

I started with N.ext and they were nice, but I thought that GP5000 would be better. I changed them and GP5000 felt faster but less comfortable. After some time I went back to N.ext and they felt great...

Unfortunately, something strange happened. Some day, they just started to feel draggy. I check pressure before every ride, there is no mechanical issues which can cause drag.

Is it possible, that casing settled down ( I do not know better word), tires became softer are more draggy?
I never mentioned comfort as my friend runs tubeless and I run tubes so not a direct comparison what I will say out of the three clincher tyres I've used Specialized Turbo Cottons, Michelin Power Cups and GP5000's the GP5000's have felt way less comfortable than the other two on the same tubes.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:38 pm
In the name of science, I did some ordering.

- GP5000 clincher in 28 cream wall (tube type): 279g, 285g
- GP5000 S TR 25 black wall (tubeless): 264g
- GP5000 S TR 28 black wall (tubeless): 283g, 278g
- GP5000 TL 28 black wall (tubeless): 289g, 296g
- Challenge Criterium RS 27 (tubeless): 262g, 250g
- Challenge Criterium RS 25 (tubeless): 228g
- Vittoria Competition latex tube 25/28: 78g
- RideNow TPU tube (reguler version, not ultralight): 33g
- random butyl tube (I think a 25 or 28?): 154g
- Schwalbe Pro ONE TLE 25 (tubeless): 262g
- Tubolito S-Tubo TPU tube:23g
- tubeless valve stems 50mm: 13g pair

So full weight of tube type clinchers and
- latex tubes: 720g
- TPU tubes: 630g

Thoughts: Tubeless is lighter by a good bit from the tires I weighed, surprisingly so. I knew the cream wall clinchers would be heavier than the black ones, but I didn't expect them to be the same or more than the tubeless tires. The Challenge tires are a good bit lighter and only lose a watt or two to the GP5000 S TR tires. I've been using them on my crit bike and they've been really good. I think BRR rates them better for puncture protection as well. Substantial weight savings with TPU tubes, and could go even lighter with the 18g ultralight versions, which would probably put them on par with tubeless + sealant. Sorry, I was too lazy to weigh out sealant and didn't want to waste it. But I would imagine it's a similar weight to the TPU tubes and probably lighter than latex.
With the replies that the black wall were substantially lighter, I ordered a pair because I was just too intrigued. Tires came in today, 28mm clinchers. The weights are, drumroll please... 255g and 253g. So, lighter than the cream wall clincher as expected, and still lighter than tubeless, but not super light. 54g saved compared to the tubeless version. So total system weight, tubeless (~650g depending on how much sealant you use) would sit in the middle between the clinchers/TPU (546g-574g) and clinchers/latex (664g).
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

aeroskii

by aeroskii

Who has experience with the GP5K TT? From my browsing on Bicyle Rolling Resistance they seem to perform really well.