Carbon 75mm wheelset...too deep?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Is it worth to buy chinese x-weave 75mm deep carbon clincher rim brake wheelset? I contacted aliexpress seller and with aero carbon spokes and Chosen hubs with ceramic bearings it would be under 1450 grams and costs under $800.
Is it too deep for aero road bike? I am heavier rider, but I am not sure about how much they will catch the crosswinds. Also they can be a bit too stiff with carbon spokes.

I planned to order some 60-65mm wheelset from LB or Winspace, but these 75mm wheels would be even lighter and probably faster. They are pretty light even for hilly races.
Would you give it a try?
Attachments
EXPLORER-X-Weave-700C-Carbon-Bike-Wheelset-60-75mm-Depth-Road-Bicycle-Wheel-Rim-Brake-R36.jpg

warthog101

by warthog101

"Would you give it a try"

No. Not with carbon spokes from a seller I have no feedback on the reliability of.
I have some LB wheels as there is plenty of feedback on here and elsewhere, mostly positive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwin

by Erwin

The deep wheels are no problem. I am running a Duke Baccara 65mm front and 78mm rear year round and have no problems (25mm tires, rim brake). Those wheelset is quite heavy at 1850g with DT 350 hubs. But they are super stable and nice to ride, breaking is also good in the dry. But I would avoid carbon spokes too. Deep rims are already stiff and weight does not matter that much with such a wheelset. I think it would ride quite harsh with carbon spokes and in a case of a failure you have more problems than with steel aero spokes. But just my 2ct.

apr46

by apr46

Depends on how wide of tires you want to run.

In a gross over simplification, wider tires are better with wider rims which in turn needs to be deeper. That along with some changes in shapes optimized for stability...and 60+mm is the new 50mm. 70+mm is the new 60mm

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:42 am
"Would you give it a try"

No. Not with carbon spokes from a seller I have no feedback on the reliability of.
I have some LB wheels as there is plenty of feedback on here and elsewhere, mostly positive.
He has feedback and mostly very positive. Although LB, Farsports, Winspace would be the safer bet indeed.
But none of them offer deep 70-75mm wheelset under 1500g.
The question is how much faster the 75mm wheelset is compared to 60-65mm. Another thing to consider is the crosswind.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Erwin wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:58 am
The deep wheels are no problem. I am running a Duke Baccara 65mm front and 78mm rear year round and have no problems (25mm tires, rim brake). Those wheelset is quite heavy at 1850g with DT 350 hubs. But they are super stable and nice to ride, breaking is also good in the dry. But I would avoid carbon spokes too. Deep rims are already stiff and weight does not matter that much with such a wheelset. I think it would ride quite harsh with carbon spokes and in a case of a failure you have more problems than with steel aero spokes. But just my 2ct.
I get what you are saying. Therefore 1450g 75mm wheelset really tempts me. Also some aero steel spokes would be better for some comfort. This wheelset could be more susceptible to crosswinds because of rounded V rim profile. But that´s just my guess.
Attachments
75mm.png
75mm.png (33.54 KiB) Viewed 671 times

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

apr46 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:50 pm
Depends on how wide of tires you want to run.

In a gross over simplification, wider tires are better with wider rims which in turn needs to be deeper. That along with some changes in shapes optimized for stability...and 60+mm is the new 50mm. 70+mm is the new 60mm
We have good roads here so I´d accept 23mm (about 25mm measured) tires. They should perfectly match 26mm wide rims.

Not long ago the 50mm rims were considered as pure aero wheels, now they are more allround and even hilly wheels. You often don´t see anything shallower than 60-65mm on aero road bikes.

apr46

by apr46

In a lot of "tests" like this one: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/wi ... e-fastest/ you see wheels between 55mm and 65mm basically coming in within the margin of error of the tunnel that was used to testing.

Buying a generic wheel that may or may not have ever had CFD run--the 75mm wheel may not be any faster than the shallowest wheel on the above "test." I have owned and and still own a pair of LB wheels from their pro line. The rim looks fantastic inside and out. Is fast compared to other wheels at similar depths? I think they are actually on the slower end, but I havent been able to get the kind of data I would want to show that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com