Wheelset for Mountain Passes

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Hi All,

I've just taken a new job which luckily includes the opportunity for 4 weeks of riding in the Alps, Pyrenees and Dolomites a year.

I currently have a rim brake crit/road racing bike which sits around 6.5kg which would probably be my preference for taking due to the weight however it is currently running on some 2012 Reynolds Assault carbon wheels (1550g) which have been fine but it does make me a tad nervous about heating them up that much.

The other option is my titanium gravel bike which switches between my all day bike and gravel bike. It is a bit of a pig though at 8.2kg (pedals and garmin mount included) but the wheelset on their currently weighs 1680g (Token C45D wheelset).

On a value basis for control and modulation on a longer descent would you:

- Rim Brake Bike with more modern carbon wheelset (probably LightBicycle £700 1100g 25mm depth)
- Rim Brake Bike with Cero Ar30 rim brake wheelset (1376g 30mm deep £280)
- Disc Brake Wheels (LB Flyweight on Novatec hubs 1145g £500)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Probably depends on how confident (and skilled) descender you are. I'm not so I've found disc brakes have really helped.
If you took your gravel bike could you take 2 sets of wheels are ride some gravel as well?
If you do stick with rim brakes, Campag and newer Enve brake tracks are pretty amazing, in terms of both control and heat dissipation.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Congrats on the new job.

I think you will be happier on your lighter bike. As for wheel choice, I watched a pretty big guy (85 kg) descend the Angliru on rim brakes with Campy carbon clinchers so it can be done, but I wouldn't. It's all great until one day during a heat wave you find yourself on something super steep and technical with slow traffic that you cannot pass, and then you'll wish you had alloy wheels, and even with those it is smart to stop occasionally to let things cool down in a situation like that. And if you get caught in the rain, carbon can be a bit scary, though some of the better grooved brake tracks do a decent job in the rain. If I am forced to ride rim brakes in the mountains, I always go with alloy rims and Swiss stop BXP pads. Dura Ace calipers complete the set up.

Regarding carbon wheels, Light Bicycle certainly has some good options for you, but perhaps an 1100 gram wheelset is not such a great idea. You didn't mention how big you are, but descending on wheels that light might not be a lot of fun unless you build with 28 spokes, and something stiffer than Sapim CXray. My choice would be 35 - 45mm deep. Weight will be around 1400 grams.The deeper rims will increase wheel stiffness, and you shouldn't have a crosswind issue if you choose tire size carefully. Overall a much better ride.

One tip, if you do go with carbon rims, choose a tire that you are happy running at low pressures. Leaves some margin for pressure build up due to heat. Tubeless helps.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:43 pm
Probably depends on how confident (and skilled) descender you are. I'm not so I've found disc brakes have really helped.
If you took your gravel bike could you take 2 sets of wheels are ride some gravel as well?
If you do stick with rim brakes, Campag and newer Enve brake tracks are pretty amazing, in terms of both control and heat dissipation.
Thanks for the response, I would say I'm average to good descender. I've never actually ridden big mountains but I grew up in the Peak District so I am quite used to steep descents on rubbish roads.

Unfortunately it will be all road riding but thanks for the tips on wheels

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:56 am
Congrats on the new job.

I think you will be happier on your lighter bike. As for wheel choice, I watched a pretty big guy (85 kg) descend the Angliru on rim brakes with Campy carbon clinchers so it can be done, but I wouldn't. It's all great until one day during a heat wave you find yourself on something super steep and technical with slow traffic that you cannot pass, and then you'll wish you had alloy wheels, and even with those it is smart to stop occasionally to let things cool down in a situation like that. And if you get caught in the rain, carbon can be a bit scary, though some of the better grooved brake tracks do a decent job in the rain. If I am forced to ride rim brakes in the mountains, I always go with alloy rims and Swiss stop BXP pads. Dura Ace calipers complete the set up.

Regarding carbon wheels, Light Bicycle certainly has some good options for you, but perhaps an 1100 gram wheelset is not such a great idea. You didn't mention how big you are, but descending on wheels that light might not be a lot of fun unless you build with 28 spokes, and something stiffer than Sapim CXray. My choice would be 35 - 45mm deep. Weight will be around 1400 grams.The deeper rims will increase wheel stiffness, and you shouldn't have a crosswind issue if you choose tire size carefully. Overall a much better ride.

One tip, if you do go with carbon rims, choose a tire that you are happy running at low pressures. Leaves some margin for pressure build up due to heat. Tubeless helps.
Thanks Mr Gib. I'm quite light (around 68-69kg during the race season) so not too worried weight wise but given your advice I may look at the alloy options for the rim brake bike just from a braking potential.

I'm not against building up something like Open Pros on Hope hubs for myself if it gives me an advantage on the descents