Bitex BX312F front hub axle removal

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
harblhat

by harblhat

I'd like to replace the bearings on my BX312F front hub but need to remove the axle first. It looks like it's just pressed in to place. How can I best remove it? Tap it out with a block of wood? Is one side raised on the inside of a bearing race as a "stop" to prevent it from going too far when reinstalled?

Would appreciate some advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

My experience with Novatec and Bitex is just as you described. I usually just use a piece of thick plastic dowel on the axle, a metal hammer, and tap out the non-drive side bearing, then use a long wooden dowel through the hub shell to tap out the drive side bearing. There is a lip on either side of the axle to stop the bearings. Go slow when pressing in the new bearings, I press just enough for the bearing to hit the seat and check for play, don't just crank it down.

harblhat

by harblhat

Thanks. If there's a lip on either side of the axle, what is your reinstallation process? It seems like I can only press in one bearing before having to reinstall the axle and then press in the other bearing since the axle lip means I can't install it after both bearings are in. If that's the case, how can you properly press in the second bearing with the axle in the way?

The idea of tapping the axle into the first bearing from the "opposite" side of installation seems silly, since it could push the bearing out of its shell slightly.

nickf

by nickf

I use a bearing press tool set for most wheels but will still have to improvise. I have pressed in bearings all kinds of different ways depending on the hub and size of the bearings and axles. For larger thru axles you can use a long threaded rod with a couple of nuts and washers, then used the old bearing and a deep socket to press the new bearings in. Press in the bearing that is deepest in the shell first, install axle, then press in the other side.