New Vittoria Corsa Pro!!

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fbonde

by fbonde

skinnybex wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm
Just make sure your selecting the proper internal rim width which i think you said is 18.5 and hooked-tubless. I think you should try 69F and 72R and see how that feels as well as perceived rolling speed. remember that the tire may look soft visually and feel a bit sluggish but you'll likely have better grip and more tire patch contact which should overall be faster.
Thank you very much. I will give that a try :beerchug:
insta: @fbonde

garbageman

by garbageman

fbonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot for that. I just tried the calculators. I usually do 78 PSI rear and 75 in the fornt on the old Corsa 28mm G.20 rider+bike 88 kilos.

I start with lowering it by 10 psi (I read it somewhere out there) so 68 psi and 65 psi on the 30mm Corsa Pro. It seems like the Zipp calculator is more or less about that. Where is the Silca way too high?

The silica wants me to do this - Rear 71 PSI and front 69.5 PSI

And Zipp wants me to do this. Rear 65.8 front 61.9 PSI.

All input are welcome :beerchug:
Keep in mind the Silca calculator gives an upper limit pressure not to exceed for maximum speed given the parameters you've chosen. From
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/tire-press ... -explained :
"What we are calculating
Simply put, we are calculating the break point tire pressure in our Tire Pressure Calculator. How high can we inflate the tires before surface impedance takes over and begins to raise the rolling resistance again? Across every test we have seen tires get faster as you increase the pressure right up until they don’t."
"One finding that has been repeated time and time again through hundreds if not thousands of tests is that it is always better to be too low than too high with your tire pressure. " A chart shows 10 psi below the break point has a 1w penalty vs 6-9w for 10psi above the break point pressure.

The Zipp calculator seems to give a recomendation with higher priority on grip and comfort. The results tend to be within -10psi of the Silca calculator for "New Pavement," and much closer when "poor pavement/chipseal" is selected. Given what we have learned from the Silca blog, I'd say the calculators are in closer agreement than they might initially seem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fbonde

by fbonde

garbageman wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 pm
fbonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot for that. I just tried the calculators. I usually do 78 PSI rear and 75 in the fornt on the old Corsa 28mm G.20 rider+bike 88 kilos.

I start with lowering it by 10 psi (I read it somewhere out there) so 68 psi and 65 psi on the 30mm Corsa Pro. It seems like the Zipp calculator is more or less about that. Where is the Silca way too high?

The silica wants me to do this - Rear 71 PSI and front 69.5 PSI

And Zipp wants me to do this. Rear 65.8 front 61.9 PSI.

All input are welcome :beerchug:
Keep in mind the Silca calculator gives an upper limit pressure not to exceed for maximum speed given the parameters you've chosen. From
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/tire-press ... -explained :
"What we are calculating
Simply put, we are calculating the break point tire pressure in our Tire Pressure Calculator. How high can we inflate the tires before surface impedance takes over and begins to raise the rolling resistance again? Across every test we have seen tires get faster as you increase the pressure right up until they don’t."
"One finding that has been repeated time and time again through hundreds if not thousands of tests is that it is always better to be too low than too high with your tire pressure. " A chart shows 10 psi below the break point has a 1w penalty vs 6-9w for 10psi above the break point pressure.

The Zipp calculator seems to give a recomendation with higher priority on grip and comfort. The results tend to be within -10psi of the Silca calculator for "New Pavement," and much closer when "poor pavement/chipseal" is selected. Given what we have learned from the Silca blog, I'd say the calculators are in closer agreement than they might initially seem.
Make sense with the upper limit pressure. thanks for making this clear. :thumbup:

fbonde

by fbonde

fbonde wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:53 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 pm
Just make sure your selecting the proper internal rim width which i think you said is 18.5 and hooked-tubless. I think you should try 69F and 72R and see how that feels as well as perceived rolling speed. remember that the tire may look soft visually and feel a bit sluggish but you'll likely have better grip and more tire patch contact which should overall be faster.
Thank you very much. I will give that a try :beerchug:
Went out with the minifumpa and tried different pressures. 88kilo rider & bike 70R and 68Front worked out really good. (not 100% due to the air slipping out when you realise the pump. on my 100k ride, they felt super speedy and very comfy.

C36

by C36

The sram/zipp calc is there first to support Zipp 5bar / 72psi limit, then all pressures are low so heavier riders don’t hit the limit too quickly. It’s also totally guessing tire width since you enter a nominal tire width, not the measured one (silca does).
If that matters, The sram or zipp teams are not following those pressures and way closer from the Silca ones.

nickf

by nickf

$99usd for a clincher tire? These companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I wanna see the BRR test these tires out. Hard to imagine that they are $45 better then a Veloflex Corsa TLR.

fbonde

by fbonde

nickf wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:50 pm
$99usd for a clincher tire? These companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I wanna see the BRR test these tires out. Hard to imagine that they are $45 better then a Veloflex Corsa TLR.
Could it be inflation like everything else in the world? R&D cost? etc. Personally, I don't find the Veloflex logo on a tire is looking good. Personal preference. Luckily for those who do, they can get a good tire for $45 :beerchug:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fbonde wrote:
nickf wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:50 pm
Could it be inflation like everything else in the world? R&D cost? etc. Personally, I don't find the Veloflex logo on a tire is looking good. Personal preference. Luckily for those who do, they can get a good tire for $45 :beerchug:
Vittoria charge a premium for a product made in Thailand compared to Veloflex who have all their production in Italy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Glad to see a new tub has been released as well, apparently with lower RR. Looking forward to BRR test.

Not sure if it still has a latex inner tube, but assume it does.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

I've just purchased a pair of corsa pro 28mm from freewheel in the UK.
£89.99 rrp is steep but had a 15% voucher to use which took the edge off.
Going to try the vittoria sealant too- it seems good on paper...
I intend to get some KM's in and report further.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Interesting that they've found a way to smooth the tread to casing transition which can (we are told) be surprisingly aerodynamically significant, particularly on the front wheel.
In a lot of the classics pro bike photos the tread cap looked quite narrow. I guess this is the latest way to improve the performance figures of your product (see also Power Cup) but I'm not sure it's the best for most consumers who will inevitably ride on poor surfaces from time to time.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I just ordered a pair of Corsa Pro 28's direct from Vittoria USA and I'll mount them up on my Zipp Firecrest 404 and give some feedback after a proper flogging period. I'll be in Florida for work so testing them on the flat roads that can be chipseal or smooth surface. This will give me a good idea on RR and comfort. I'll also try some Pro Controls on my training wheels at some point but I want to run 30's and no availability yet for that size.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Aryeh

by Aryeh

I ordered a pair of 28mm direct from Vittoria as well.
I'm currently running GP5KS TR on Light Bicycle WR50 Rim with 25mm internal width and 32mm external. The the 28mm contis measure 31mm. We'll see how these compare.

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

So, new tyres arrived within 2 days from freewheel and I got the party size Vittoria sealant from Condor.

Weigh 275, 276 grams.
Feel super supple, but different from corsa of old- almost silicone like.

Easy to fit only needed a lever for final 1-5th of bead.

Didn't want to inflate with track pump (standard fair for my 20five rims, they are a bit of a sod to seat the bead) but Inflated and seated first time with schwalbe booster.

Added 50ml ish of sealant, holding pressure easy.

Measuring 28.15mm on 20mm internal width rim

Hopefully get out on them tomorrow!

*excuse the non-very-sexy backdrop!
14A25494-7D1E-4A8A-97C5-3479DCD08E64.jpeg
DCB80699-23A5-4FB2-9464-4F3F1005490F.jpeg
646937D5-82AA-4CB4-B10C-3976FCC787BF.jpeg

DieselCondor

by DieselCondor

First ride yesterday- they didn't disappoint!

*I am a big tubular fan- I love a high quality tub... but honestly the suppleness and feeling these are the next level.

I ran them at 75/70 psi and they were super smooth- we seem that have more broken chip seal then smooth roads these days in the UK but these grip and iron it all out. I will try 70/65 next ride to see what the difference is.

Cornering is assured and grip linear as you move across the tread cap. More so than corsas of old (when you could hear the grip change) and the n.ext.

I even managed to sample the wet grip yesterday on a long twisty descent through a farm/forest area. No issues and no premature locking up when braking hard upto a junction.

A couple of other nice touches, they have the QR code on one side if you wanted tyre info and they now come with sunken dot TWI's.

They feel fast- (subjective I know) definitely quicker than the n.ext they replaced. Will get some KM's in and report further.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com