New Vittoria Corsa Pro!!

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:26 pm
I have some 32s.
- Weight was 292g and 313g.
- 85.7mm wide measured flat. Tread 30.8mm flat.
- Mounted on 21mm internal rims, they measure 32.3mm at 70psi. Tread mounted is 27.6mm.

And yes, the flat tread is correct.

Looks like the same number of ribs as my 30s, which were unquestionably 32mm when laid perfectly flat.

viewtopic.php?p=1808484#p1808484

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaisen

by Jaisen

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:26 pm
I have some 32s.
- Weight was 292g and 313g.
- 85.7mm wide measured flat. Tread 30.8mm flat.
- Mounted on 21mm internal rims, they measure 32.3mm at 70psi. Tread mounted is 27.6mm.

And yes, the flat tread is correct.

Thanks, good to know, and that is certainly weird and unexpected that the thread is the same/smaller than on the 30's. The 28's and 30's had a respectable 41% ratio, on the 32's it is one of the worst ratio's I have ever seen at 35.94%. That is Michelin Power Cup territory.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

When is the Pro Speed expected to launch?

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Finally pulling the tires off. The rear one for sure. I looked on Strava and got 2600 miles on them, which isn't terrible but I feel like I got more mileage out of the GP5000s. What did you guys get from your set? Is this pretty normal?

Related question. Do you guys ever rotate your tires? The rear tire is done for sure, but the front looks to have life left and the wear indicator still looks good. Anybody swap their tires after a certain mileage? What about running a new rear with my old front? Curious if people just replace both or just the one in need. At their price, I'm questioning buying a full set.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:31 am
Finally pulling the tires off. The rear one for sure. I looked on Strava and got 2600 miles on them, which isn't terrible but I feel like I got more mileage out of the GP5000s. What did you guys get from your set? Is this pretty normal?

Related question. Do you guys ever rotate your tires? The rear tire is done for sure, but the front looks to have life left and the wear indicator still looks good. Anybody swap their tires after a certain mileage? What about running a new rear with my old front? Curious if people just replace both or just the one in need. At their price, I'm questioning buying a full set.
When my rear wears out, unless I plan to change tire models, I usually just move the front to back and put a new tire on the front. I don't rotate mid-tire life expectancy.

Mirco

by Mirco

Not rotating from front to rear, just using a new one on the rear.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Mirco wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:44 am
This makes the most sense. Rotating front to rear when the rear wears out just adds work for no reason. It puts the worn tire where it will wear out sooner.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Mirco wrote:
This is what I'm going to do. Throw a new tire on back. When the old front wears out, I'll probably move the rear to the front and put another new one on the back. That setup should "finish" around the same time I hope.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:50 pm
Mirco wrote:
This makes the most sense. Rotating front to rear when the rear wears out just adds work for no reason. It puts the worn tire where it will wear out sooner.
I guess it depends on how much mileage you put on your tires every year, but as a general rule, as tires get older they get harder, and as they harden, their grip decreases. Having my rear slip a bit is easier to control, not so for the front. So I always want the newest grippiest tire on the front. Also how much work is it to swap a tire? It takes less than 10 minutes.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I guess if you don't ride your bike enough to wear them out before they rot, there's a case...

Jaisen

by Jaisen

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 pm
I guess if you don't ride your bike enough to wear them out before they rot, there's a case...
It's hard to say exactly how long it takes for a tire to degrade since it depends on environmental conditions and wear rates, but I certainly wouldn't ride a tire that is more than 3 years old. Plus when you buy the tire, you have no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf and how it was stored. It could easily be already 1 year old before you even mount it on your bike and take it out on the road.

Then you also have to factor in that you get what 2-3x more wear on the rear tire? So if your rears are lasting anywhere like mine, say ~5000 kms, you can estimate somewhere around 15,000 kms for the front (assuming no rotation). Depending on how many bikes you have in your fleet and how many of your miles are put on an indoor trainer, how many cyclists are putting that kind of outdoor mileage in on a yearly or 2 year basis? My wager would be that there are a lot of riders out there on degraded tires that are suboptimal.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Well these lasted 3.5 months (mounted August 2). I ride enough that calendar time isn't an issue. The rear lasted 2,600 miles. I'm thinking I could probably get another 800-1,000 on the front. It's partly a laziness thing only having to mount the rear now. I also considered going with 30s (running 28s now). So I'd rather keep the 28 front, throw on a 30 rear, then when the 28 dies, throw a new 30 on back and put the used 30 on the front.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

I run 2 rears to 1 front.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

PeytonM wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:49 pm
I run 2 rears to 1 front.

same.. I dont bother switching front to rear. Probably closer to 3 to 1 to be honest so I dont bother.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Jaisen wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:30 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 pm
It's hard to say exactly how long it takes for a tire to degrade since it depends on environmental conditions and wear rates, but I certainly wouldn't ride a tire that is more than 3 years old. Plus when you buy the tire, you have no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf and how it was stored. It could easily be already 1 year old before you even mount it on your bike and take it out on the road.
Except if you have multiple wheelsets...

I still run tyres which are 8 years old too. Sure, I wouldn't win any braking distance contests or do any daredevil descending in the rain with them, but nothing wrong using them to the maximum instead of buying new ones, for many reasons.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com