New Vittoria Corsa Pro!!

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
lonesurvivor

by lonesurvivor

I am also about to order the new Vittoria Corsa Pro tyres, tubular version, for my light wheels (rim 25 mm wide and 28 mm high).
But which width????
I live in the Swiss Alps and use the bike mainly for climbing.

Most current tyres are mostly 25 or 28.

Browsing the internet, I have not found definitive answers to the following questions.
Which tyre has the lower rolling resistance: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?
Which tyre has the better puncture protection: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?

Maybe the answers are different for tubular or tubeless tyres. Maybe it is even brand-specific (here: Vittoria Corsa Pro)?

Thank you in advance for your opinion!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

lonesurvivor wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 10:51 pm
I am also about to order the new Vittoria Corsa Pro tyres, tubular version, for my light wheels (rim 25 mm wide and 28 mm high).
But which width????
I live in the Swiss Alps and use the bike mainly for climbing.

Most current tyres are mostly 25 or 28.

Browsing the internet, I have not found definitive answers to the following questions.
Which tyre has the lower rolling resistance: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?
Which tyre has the better puncture protection: the 25 or the 28 version? How big is the difference?

Maybe the answers are different for tubular or tubeless tyres. Maybe it is even brand-specific (here: Vittoria Corsa Pro)?

Thank you in advance for your opinion!
Wider tires have roughly equal Crr at a given percentage sag. Wider tires will have better suspension characteristics at a given Crr.

The puncture protection is consistent across the line, so it’s a matter of probable outcomes. A wider tire is slightly more likely to run over debris in the road. A wider tire inflated to lower pressure is also more likely to deform over a piece of debris rather than get perforated. Anecdotally speaking, I have had fewer flats with wider tires because punctures will eventually seal at low pressures and a 30mm WAM tire is probably going to be somewhat rideable at 35psi while a 27mm WAM tire might not be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xabi

by Xabi

Measured my 30mm width Corsa pros.

Inner width of one of my rims wasn't 19, it is almost 18. On this rim 30mm Corsa pro measures 27.5 mm

On wider internal width of 22m it measures 29.5mm

Both tires wid 4.5 bar pressure.

Singular

by Singular

Xabi wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:59 pm
Measured my 30mm width Corsa pros.

Inner width of one of my rims wasn't 19, it is almost 18. On this rim 30mm Corsa pro measures 27.5 mm

On wider internal width of 22m it measures 29.5mm

Both tires wid 4.5 bar pressure.
Wonderful - now a 30mm tyre is essentially what was labeled a 25mm yesterday...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Singular wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:39 pm

Wonderful - now a 30mm tyre is essentially what was labeled a 25mm yesterday...

Yes, but also tires within a model range almost always carry the same MSRP/RRP, so the only difference is knowing which models run large and which run small. I'm sure many people were surprised when their 25mm GP4K S II or a first-gen Pro One measured ~29mm on a 19mm rim.

I have 30mm Corsa Pros coming in eventually and will measure them on my 21mm Aeolus RSL 37s.

Singular

by Singular

If not a bead-to-bead measurement would be possible as standard (and it is maybe not very marketable...), I'm all for the movement where several manufacturers have started to mark their tyres with "XXmm on XXmm rim" which is great.

HBike

by HBike

Here the 32mm version is nicely seen mounted on Reserve wheels (33mm external diameter, 25.5mm internal on front wheel). Seems like it fits this rim nicely and run smaller than expected.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsDN3rbOT2l ... RjYmRlZg==

C36

by C36

Singular wrote:If not a bead-to-bead measurement would be possible as standard (and it is maybe not very marketable...), I'm all for the movement where several manufacturers have started to mark their tyres with "XXmm on XXmm rim" which is great.
The idea is good but execution kind of failed so far, Vittoria charts are quite surprisingly not really accurate.

Vittoria 30mm should measure 30 on a 21mm rim and measures less on 22mm rim (would expect 30.5 on a c22 rim).

Aryeh

by Aryeh

Any chance this tire is faster than the GP5000 S TR? All the Corsa tires until now aside from the Corsa Speed were quite a bit slower according to BRR.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

HBike

by HBike

Aryeh wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 2:21 pm
Any chance this tire is faster than the GP5000 S TR? All the Corsa tires until now aside from the Corsa Speed were quite a bit slower according to BRR.

We will see, but a drum has it uncertainties regarding performance in real life and RR is not everything.

Giving that e.g. TdF winner Vingegaard, MvdP or WvA, Roglic and others are using them (all three podium positions at Paris-Roubaix 2023 where from riders with the Corsa Pro), I think they are fast enough for amateurs as well.
In my opinion Jumbo Visma or Alpecin–Deceuninck have enough success and reputation to dump the sponsorship if they thought them to be clearly inferior.

Aryeh

by Aryeh

I just mounted my 28mm Corsa Pros on my LB WR50 rims with 25mm internal.
They measure 30.4mm compared to the GP5K S TR which measured 31mm.
They mounted by hand but I could not get them to seat without adding sealant first. I'm all sweaty now from trying to seat these without an air compressor.

bobones

by bobones

What size would work best with 19 mm internal 26-27 external wheels like Bora WTO? I'm thinking any of 24, 26, or 28 with 24 best for 105% rule and weight, 28 for running at lower pressures, with perhaps 26 the sweetspot as long as they don't blow up bigger than labelled. The 25 mm GP 5000 S TRs I have mounted have remained true to size after many months of riding (sub 26 on the WTOs) and it looks like these VCPs are if anything a little smaller?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Mounted the tires Monday evening on brand new wheels that just arrived from Farsports earlier that afternoon. No levers necessary and went on easy by hand. Inflated with my compressor with the valve core in. Filled with 30ml of Orange seal to 85 psi front and rear and left overnight. Next afternoon they still held 65psi. Rode 55 miles and used 72psi front and 75psi rear on Farsports Wave 55-60mm hooked rims which are 21mm internal and 32mm external. Tire felt amazing regarding comfort and road feel. Mix of newly surfaced and chip seal as well as plenty of loose gravel in some sections from all the rain. The tires felt really fast and supple and seemed to hold speed well freewheeling which tells me plenty about the improvements from the previous Corsa TLR. I averaged 21.4mph for the ride and my normalized power was slightly lower for a slight gain in speed due to the better RR. I'll likely measure the inflated width in a few weeks when I'm back from a work trip. I'll be riding a different bike with Conty TR s 28's which I rate well for RR but they feel a bit more harsh.
Attachments
IMG_0616.jpeg
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Any idea if/when these will be available with black walls?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

HBike wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:28 am
Here the 32mm version is nicely seen mounted on Reserve wheels (33mm external diameter, 25.5mm internal on front wheel). Seems like it fits this rim nicely and run smaller than expected.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsDN3rbOT2l ... RjYmRlZg==
That's 52|63 wheelset and not 40|44. Plus rear wheel looks to be "locked" by the frame. I wouldn't call that nicely.
OTOH it seems to be "taller" tire, rather than "wider", which is a good idea I assume.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc