TL tire popping into the rim bed, dangerous?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Hey everyone,
I have a set of relatively narrow TT wheels (18.8mm internal, hooked) that I have set up tubelessly with TT tires.
When the air pressure gets super low, the tires pop off the bead, and into the rim bed.
I've tried three different tires (GP 5000s TR, GP5000 TT and Vittoria Corsa Speed), the standard single wrapping (factory installed tape), double wrapping and triple wrapping. Nothing seems to help.
The tire goes onto the rim relatively easily, but doesnt sit stupidly loose or can be removed easily by hand.
I've tried fitting a Vittoria tire liner in the smallest size, but even that was too big to get it fitted.

So, what can I do, and is this really dangerous? Riding on a fully deflated tire would be dangerous either way, so is this a thing I really need to fix?
If so, what do I need to do?
Thanks in advance.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The main problem is if the tire unseats in the middle of a ride, then a minipump will not be able to reseat it. You’d need to have CO2 or insert a tube.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

That's a good point. That wouldn't be that much of an issue for me though.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Miller

by Miller

I rode wheels like that for ages, in fact I have a pair of wheels where the tyres still do that, so I am in the 'annoying but not dangerous' camp. As noted, the issue is how to reseat the tyres mid-ride should that be necessary.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Cheers. I got the same reply from the manufacturer. These are mainly race day wheels anyway, so probably no harm in any of that.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Attermann

by Attermann

give it a couple of layers of tape, that will make them sit harder against the hook, so they won't pop off.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Attermann wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:55 pm
give it a couple of layers of tape, that will make them sit harder against the hook, so they won't pop off.
According to the opening post, he's already tried 3 layers.

Attermann

by Attermann

In that case I wouldn't call the rims tubeless compatible

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Attermann wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 am
In that case I wouldn't call the rims tubeless compatible
I don't know if "tubeless compatible" constitutes "the tire doesn't unseat when at low or no air pressure". I literally don't know... all the other aspects of TL compatibility work though.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Attermann

by Attermann

In my regard I would say that it's when a tire stays on the rim even thou it has lost all pressure, I wouldn't ride anything that doesn't do that.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Basically the question of this thread is: "why wouldn't you?"
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

jlok

by jlok

Attermann wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:05 am
In my regard I would say that it's when a tire stays on the rim even thou it has lost all pressure, I wouldn't ride anything that doesn't do that.
+1
It's somehow indicates how easy the tubeless tire would burb. Scary stuff if you experienced it, which most likely would be followed by a crash.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

As the tyres are going into the rim bed, that would suggest that there's no bead lock in your rims which is there to prevent this very thing happening.
As mentioned by others, this will increase the chance of the tyre burping and a blowout occuring if you had a puncture.

I may be being overly cautious but I'd run those wheels with tubes. I know that every watt matters when it comes to TT bikes but a latex tube set up isn't really any slower than a tubeless one.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pretty much every Roval road wheel before the Rapide/Alpinist generation were like this and they didn’t burp any more than other wheels…that I know of. Meanwhile I have seen certain tires release air/sealant even at 50psi just by squeezing the sidewalls with hand pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

Hopefully the etrto standard will make these sort of issues less likely going forward. A uniform sizing system adopted as a standard should make tyres and wheels more compatible.

Loving road tubeless and sticking with it anyway. No desire to go back to tubes or worse still, singles.