Problems with running latex tubes on TLR rims

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
VilaNova

by VilaNova

I recently purchased some carbon tubeless ready wheels which can apparently be run with tubes as well.

After 1 ride I had a slow puncture and so after inspecting the latex inner tube I noticed that the inner part of the tube was appreared damaged with what I can only describe as 'stretch marks' where the tube sits against the rim (see photo). I checked the tube from other wheel and that was the same. Any ideas what could be causing this? The rims have plastic rim tape for tubeless - maybe I should try more traditional rim tape (Velox?). Any other thoughts?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

I run latex tubes in 3 sets of tubeless rims without issue. Replace that plastic rim strip with stans or equivalent rim tape. Not velox.

VilaNova

by VilaNova

Thanks for your response. Sorry - why not Velox?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What photo? It this a plastic rim strip like what Bontrager uses? Those, for example, should not be used with tubes except in an emergency.

nickf

by nickf

VilaNova wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:54 pm
Thanks for your response. Sorry - why not Velox?
Velox is far too thick and just doesn't stick all that well. We would only use Velox on the cheapest of wheels where the nipples are exposed on the inside of the rim, think department store bikes. Plus Velox eventually deteriorates. A couple of wraps of Stan's style rim tape just works better. It's also thinner, tires mount much easier.

VilaNova

by VilaNova

Thanks

tiz92

by tiz92

I also run Vittoria Latex on all my wheels (all are tubeless ready, Farsports wheels without holes in rim bed) and zero issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

I am quite sure that your tire was the problem. I had simillar experience with other michelin's, which was perfect visually and tactilely but has minute obstrusion like spike inside the tire causing tiny puncture on the tube. I swapped the tubes for 3 times and finally gave up that tire. No punctures after this incident.

There will be some marks on tubes caused by small indentation on rim hole but that is natural to some extent. Did you do bubbling test to prove your theory?