Lightbicycle Vs Lun Wheels Vs Elite drive

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Hi!

I'm in the process of choosing a new light set of wheels, I'm 80kg, the bike is rim brake meant and the wheels are going for hilly days and stuff (hence prioritizing light weight).

Weighing at around 1250 I can get the Elite drive (best price around) and the new Lun R35, both with a big margin on weight limit, if I choose the Lightbicycle I could have to get the lightweight version at around 1275g, having a rider limit of 90kg, looks rather dangerously close to me, or the standard version is at around 1355 (Carbon ti hubs and AR375 rims).
If in middle of the 1300g range, guess I’d rather go for the Campy WTO33, got the 60s and love them.
Elite and Lun got great youtube reviews but no recent real users feedback.
I know carbon clinchers may not be the safer bet, tubulars are, but having no issues whatsoever riding the wto 60, carbon clinchers will be!
As for the 3 brands at stake, LB might be the best, at least for serviceability due to the lack of proprietary stuff, but not taking a chance on the lightweight version and for the price and weight of the standard, should I forget chinese options (nothing wrong with being chinese) and buy the wto33?
Any advice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Elite has by far the worst hubs of the three. I'd go with Light Bicycle for the plethora of choices.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:00 pm
Elite has by far the worst hubs of the three. I'd go with Light Bicycle for the plethora of choices.
Wasn't aware the hubs on the elite were still that bad, thanks for the heads up! :beerchug:

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

snowdevlin wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:06 pm
Hi!

I'm in the process of choosing a new light set of wheels, I'm 80kg, the bike is rim brake meant and the wheels are going for hilly days and stuff (hence prioritizing light weight).

Weighing at around 1250 I can get the Elite drive (best price around) and the new Lun R35, both with a big margin on weight limit, if I choose the Lightbicycle I could have to get the lightweight version at around 1275g, having a rider limit of 90kg, looks rather dangerously close to me, or the standard version is at around 1355 (Carbon ti hubs and AR375 rims).
If in middle of the 1300g range, guess I’d rather go for the Campy WTO33, got the 60s and love them.
I know carbon clinchers may not be the safer bet, tubulars are, but having no issues whatsoever riding the wto 60, carbon clinchers will be!
As for the 3 brands at stake, LB might be the best, at least for serviceability due to the lack of proprietary stuff, but not taking a chance on the lightweight version and for the price and weight of the standard, should I forget chinese options (nothing wrong with being chinese) and buy the wto33?
Any advice?
Elite and Lun put a ton of investment on marketing while LB is very unique focusing on product and service development (has much more and better real world feedbacks). Their latest climbing light weapon AR25 (with carbon ti and cx-ray weighs ~1020g) is stunning, unfortunately it is only disc version at this stage.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-disc- ... etric.html

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Jasonlelam wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:56 am
snowdevlin wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:06 pm
Hi!

Any advice?
Elite and Lun put a ton of investment on marketing while LB is very unique focusing on product and service development (has much more and better real world feedbacks). Their latest climbing light weapon AR25 (with carbon ti and cx-ray weighs ~1020g) is stunning, unfortunately it is only disc version at this stage.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-disc- ... etric.html
Amazing weight indeed, unfortunately disc only as you mentioned :cry:

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

I would go with the Hyper SE version. You can get them for 900$ with the discount code and they're basically 2020 hypers with steel bearings which can be even better. I have Light Bicycle wheels but I payed 550€ for hubs, rims and spokes. If you are around the 1000$ range go for Hypers mostly because of carbon spokes which are far far stiffer. I'm still not sure about Elite Drive

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Edopizzo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm
I would go with the Hyper SE version. You can get them for 900$ with the discount code and they're basically 2020 hypers with steel bearings which can be even better. I have Light Bicycle wheels but I payed 550€ for hubs, rims and spokes. If you are around the 1000$ range go for Hypers mostly because of carbon spokes which are far far stiffer. I'm still not sure about Elite Drive
Hyper might be not a bad choice, but the proprietary parts (risky maintainence problem) and a non-quality-convinced OEM (rebadged) hub is keeping me away from Winspace. As contrast, LB's gene of deep customization with far more well-branded and high quality hub and spoke options (DT Swiss, ChrisKing, Hope, Extralite, Carbon-Ti, Sapim CX-Ray, DT Competition...) makes many cycling enthusiasts happy.

And even as for the carbon spokes which go stiffer in performance as said, they also develop to unlimit the hub options, that is pretty cool. (I think it quite hard for Hyper to go in this direction). https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Fast.html

You nearly could find in LB a certain competitive counterpart to those that most other brands offer. All up to yourself makes everyone more recognizable and an interesting world IMO. 8) :)

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Edopizzo wrote:
The hyper se on paper sound very appealing (the ceramic bearings is something I don't even care), but the problem remains, with all the proprietary stuff and lack of reviews.
:roll:

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Jasonlelam wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:39 am
Edopizzo wrote:
Hyper might be not a bad choice, but the proprietary parts (risky maintainence problem) and a non-quality-convinced OEM (rebadged) hub is keeping me away from Winspace. As contrast, LB's gene of deep customization with far more well-branded and high quality hub and spoke options (DT Swiss, ChrisKing, Hope, Extralite, Carbon-Ti, Sapim CX-Ray, DT Competition...) makes many cycling enthusiasts happy.

And even as for the carbon spokes which go stiffer in performance as said, they also develop to unlimit the hub options, that is pretty cool. (I think it quite hard for Hyper to go in this direction). https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Fast.html

You nearly could find in LB a certain competitive counterpart to those that most other brands offer. All up to yourself makes everyone more recognizable and an interesting world IMO. 8) :)
Guess I'm going to rule out Elite and Winspace.
The doubt now being the LB or the Campagnolo WTO33. Hard choice as the LB take around two months to arrive and WTO less then 2 weeks.
The price would be similar, but the WTO are around 50grams heavier, but with great track record.

Hard choices :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Sorry if I missed it but what build are these going on?

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

[/quote]
Jasonlelam wrote:
Edopizzo wrote:

snowdevlin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:37 pm
Edopizzo wrote:
The hyper se on paper sound very appealing (the ceramic bearings is something I don't even care), but the problem remains, with all the proprietary stuff and lack of reviews.

Winspace hypers have been around since 2020 and have many more sales and reviews than Light bicycle. Lots of famous youtube engineers (Hambini, Peak Torque..) have objectively reviewed them and found no faults. Yes they have proprietrary hubs but the bearings are all standard (unlike DT240 for example) and they have very good customer care in case something happens.

I say all this as a proud and happy Light Bicycle owner

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Edopizzo wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:56 pm
Jasonlelam wrote:
Edopizzo wrote:

snowdevlin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:37 pm
Edopizzo wrote:

Winspace hypers have been around since 2020 and have many more sales and reviews than Light bicycle. Lots of famous youtube engineers (Hambini, Peak Torque..) have objectively reviewed them and found no faults. Yes they have proprietrary hubs but the bearings are all standard (unlike DT240 for example) and they have very good customer care in case something happens.

I say all this as a proud and happy Light Bicycle owner
[/quote]
================================================================

Yahh. Actually, it is the very another reason for me hesitate to go with Hyper as too much paid ads/reviews it goes through. No longivity evidence, and lack of real world reviews come out from riders as you and me among many more others. May be in near future, I dare go with it and hopfully ride them all right. :D

Ferry

by Ferry

I am in the same proces of looking for another rim brake wheelset. I have narrowed it down to LB or Winspace 2023 model.LB preferred as a result of the arguments above.
Last edited by Ferry on Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ferry

by Ferry

This is a well known Dutch wheelbuilder in the yt review.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ferry wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:54 am
This is a well known Dutch wheelbuilder in the yt review.

Seen that video before and mostly agree. What's the point in using carbon spokes if the wheel isn't any lighter than the competition. Pretty much all wheels are already stiff enough, stiffness is not a selling point.

The only way lateral stiffness becomes a selling point in the future is if race bikes adopt narrower hubs in the name of aerodynamic efficiency gains. That might require carbon spokes, but would be sure to piss off curmudgeons. Who's ready for 12x60mm front hubs? The rear might have to stay wider due to tire clearance and chainline concerns.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com