Continental GP 5000 AllSeason

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

covfefe wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:50 am
bobones wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:29 am
I've done around a 1000 miles this winter on AS TRs covering some rough gravel and lots of wet, debris strewn roads, and they don't seem to puncture easily or cut at all.
That's good news. But the amount of flint in the tarmac varies from region to region. I live in an area with lots, so there are lots of punctures here. And even one puncture, that takes me of the bike and fiddling with plugs and what not, is one too many for my taste. But as said, I'm goint to give them a shot at some point.

You may be better off with the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR w/Speedcore. It has a thicker tread, so better center puncture protection, though it doesn't have the perhaps overkill 4-ply sidewalls of the GP5K AS TR.

Lakal

by Lakal

covfefe wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:16 pm
Lakal wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm
Last winter I used the GP5000 S TR as a rear tyre for 2000km in Denmark. I didn't have a single puncture where I needed to stop.
This winter I am using the AS version and I have had one puncture where I just used a dynaplug. With the right sealant (I am using 40ml OS regular) and tyre pressure you can easily use this tyre in Denmark.
According to bikerollingresistance there is a significant difference in protection between the two. I guess it depends on how much you ride in wet weather. If you tend to use the rollers during wet weather, the data is probably not conclusive.
I know the difference. But BRR doesn't say anything about what is sufficient for the roads in Denmark. The roads are wet for the most of the time this winter, but I dont go out if it is raining a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Lakal wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:40 am
covfefe wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:16 pm
Lakal wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:14 pm
Last winter I used the GP5000 S TR as a rear tyre for 2000km in Denmark. I didn't have a single puncture where I needed to stop.
This winter I am using the AS version and I have had one puncture where I just used a dynaplug. With the right sealant (I am using 40ml OS regular) and tyre pressure you can easily use this tyre in Denmark.
According to bikerollingresistance there is a significant difference in protection between the two. I guess it depends on how much you ride in wet weather. If you tend to use the rollers during wet weather, the data is probably not conclusive.
I know the difference. But BRR doesn't say anything about what is sufficient for the roads in Denmark. The roads are wet for the most of the time this winter, but I dont go out if it is raining a lot.

i'm the same, but i have been thinking about trying these instead of the my cinturato, but again, i really hate standing on dark road fixing a flat, i used to use 4seasons with a tube, and i really hoped these were like them, but i doesn't seems like they have quite the same puncture resistence, but it could be close.

pk0r

by pk0r

I have done a couple thousand kms on the AS this winter so far.
I think its grip and performance is pretty amazing, also still at two digit sub-zero temps or really nasty conditions. 4digit km in the rain without any issue as well.
Admitteld I had one puncutre so far, but in the dark and with a lot of split, which the Orange sealant sealed adequately well (and the tire still going strong thereafter). They survived a lot of really bad condition rides and also mild gravel sessions where many other tires definitely would have had serious issues.
Tire technology really has gone a long shot - gone are the days of Continental Competition tubulars all winter. These definitely are way better.
Rolling resistance seems really good as well, quite easy to also avg 20mph in winter. If it wasn't for the weight I would not feel a difference to the GP5000 S TR that I used all summer.

My 28mm AS TR on 25.5mm ID hooked rims measure 31.6mm WAM,
surprisingly my new 32mm version on 23mm ID hookless rims only measures 32.4mm WAM.
The 32mm version still is 60gms heavier than the 28mm one, so would confirm the difference in construction as BRR stated.
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pk0r wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:02 pm

My 28mm AS TR on 25.5mm ID hooked rims measure 31.6mm WAM,
surprisingly my new 32mm version on 23mm ID hookless rims only measures 32.4mm WAM.
The 32mm version still is 60gms heavier than the 28mm one, so would confirm the difference in construction as BRR stated.

You should check the height of the tire (RAM.) I wouldn't be surprised if the the 32c tire on the 23mm internal rim is still 2mm taller than the 28c tire on the 25mm rim