Ascent Polaris wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:16 pm
On J-Bend 240s? By my estimates, a straight-pull 240 build should be around 1575g.
No, straightpull.
Brass nipples, though. Maybe that's the difference vs your calculations?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:59 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:16 pm
On J-Bend 240s? By my estimates, a straight-pull 240 build should be around 1575g.
No, straightpull.
Brass nipples, though. Maybe that's the difference vs your calculations?

Ah, yeah 48 brass nipples would probably account for 35g or so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Eggyeggs wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am
Any thoughts on developing something around the 55-60mm region (or event the low 60s)? 69s look ace but a touch deep for me. 42s too similar to my current climbing set of rims.
Something like the Roval Rapide CLX II?
We'll take your request into account!
We're quite a small team, and product development is quite expensive - each set of wheels costs a lot to design, prototype, and perform testing on.
However, we'll do what we can :)

QX

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:58 am
Finally got my Polaris raw 69 rims built to DTSwiss 240s with DT Aerolites.
Total weight is 758 + 851 = 1609g (w/o bartape).
Thanks for choosing us :)

I hope you meant rim tape haha.
-QX

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Oh lol, indeed :D
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

fidracer

by fidracer

Wasn’t the guy in NorCal Cycling 2 using the Polaris 69s (presumably on loan from Jeff Linder)? In the latest video he said the wheels he was using cracked and delaminated. I wonder what happened there.

It’s about 1:15 into this video: https://youtu.be/xOsBVNWWPIk

RDY

by RDY

fidracer wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm
Wasn’t the guy in NorCal Cycling 2 using the Polaris 69s (presumably on loan from Jeff Linder)? In the latest video he said the wheels he was using cracked and delaminated. I wonder what happened there.

I think Jeff was loaning him those because the original wheels cracked. He now has his own new Reserve ones.

fidracer

by fidracer

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:01 pm
fidracer wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 pm

I think Jeff was loaning him those because the original wheels cracked. He now has his own new Reserve ones.
Ah, that clears it up. Thanks.

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Thanks for raising that - I'll drop them a word and see if it's anything to do with our wheels
-QX

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

Peak Torque just released a review of the Polaris 42 wheels!

TLDR:
No aero penalty with up to 32mm tires - may be great for long distance rides over bad tarmac!
Lightweight 1300g
Has retained trueness over 4 months of trashing on trails and gravel.

winterorb

by winterorb

Intriguing. I am currently on a frame that is recommended to only fit up to 28mm tyres max.

Would the Polaris' 23mm ID be of a concern fitting on my frame should I also use 28mm tyres on the Polaris?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

winterorb wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:54 am
Intriguing. I am currently on a frame that is recommended to only fit up to 28mm tyres max.

Would the Polaris' 23mm ID be of a concern fitting on my frame should I also use 28mm tyres on the Polaris?

28mm GP5K S TR end up 30.5mm WAM. "Supports up to 28mm tires" means 4mm of clearance minimum. Some brands adhere to those minimums while my Treks have more like 6mm of clearance.

AscentBikes
in the industry

by AscentBikes

So far we haven't had a problem, especially with disc brake bikes - they have pretty generous clearances.

Do you have 28mm tires mounted already? If you do, post some pics of the fork, seatstay, and chainstay clearance.

-QX

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Have spent several hundreds of kms on the wheels already.

With Michelin Power Cup 30mm TLRs mounted (32mm WAM), which needed only a miniscule amount of sealant to seal, they are a pleasure to ride, roll beautifully, and are fast too, as they should be, compared to some bombproof 30mm wheels I used to ride early Spring on the same bike, I'm back to 33+ kph sub 200W again :D
I'm not too sensitive to crosswinds, but 9-10 m/s gusts can definitely be felt and need pretty strong steering control, so they're still not the first choice on windy days. Also, I feel a bit of inertia on them compared to tub wheelsets I still ride regularly, then again, my country is like dead flat, so I don't really care :D

Overall really satisfied with them.

alexroseinnes

by alexroseinnes

Love these wheels, but the price in Aussie dollars has put them out of my budget. With import taxes they are like AU$4000 which is 1300 more than Dura Ace C60s. Into Enve an Cadex territory.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com