Ascent Polaris wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Just received. 69mm deep, 35mm external width (31.5mm at the edge), 23mm internal, hooked, DT 180 hubs, CX Ray spokes. 1549g without tape. 28mm GP5K S TRs should plump up to 30.5-31mm and are a perfect fit on them. 25mm GP5K S TRs leave a visible lip/ledge at the interface.
Attachments
IMG_6920.jpeg

wltz

by wltz

They look awesome, I'd say that's a lot of wheel for the money! Looking forward to your impressions. Mr PeakTorque is a reliable honest reviewer, but he's strong enough to rip me in half with his bare hands, so his impressions on crosswind behaviour should be taken with caution :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

Looks very interesting. How much you paid for set with dt180?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

apr46

by apr46

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:03 am
Just received. 69mm deep, 35mm external width (31.5mm at the edge), 23mm internal, hooked, DT 180 hubs, CX Ray spokes. 1549g without tape. 28mm GP5K S TRs should plump up to 30.5-31mm and are a perfect fit on them. 25mm GP5K S TRs leave a visible lip/ledge at the interface.
I've owned the DT Swiss 350 version since March and have had them on a custom bike for the last few weeks. The bike was built with a long front center, 50ish mm trail and low BB specifically to run 28mm tires on wheels like these paired with a very narrow handlebar. In my case the handlebar is the ENVE SES Aero in 40cm (so 35cm at the hoods). The bike handles very well, isnt twitchy and is very fast on the flats.

If these wheels, somehow, end up on something like the Domane RSL with the integrated Madone bar at 36cm at the hoods, I predict that you will love that bike.

My DT 350 set weighed 1722g taped with the 18T ratchet and no valves.
wltz wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:23 pm
They look awesome, I'd say that's a lot of wheel for the money! Looking forward to your impressions. Mr PeakTorque is a reliable honest reviewer, but he's strong enough to rip me in half with his bare hands, so his impressions on crosswind behaviour should be taken with caution :-)
I've ridden mine through all sorts of conditions. On a bike with higher trail you feel the wind push but its not sudden. On a bike with shorter trail, I dont feel it at all. I am small at 168cm and 57-58kg. Comparing something of similar width, these wheels are significantly more stable than my Light Bicycle WR50 based pair.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Domane RSL is on my radar for sure, especially if the 130mm/40cm (37cm) Madone barstem Mads uses isn’t available to the public. I wouldn’t be able to get the Madone to work for me without going with a non-integrated solution.

wltz

by wltz

apr46 wrote:On a bike with higher trail you feel the wind push but its not sudden. On a bike with shorter trail, I dont feel it at all. I am small at 168cm and 57-58kg. Comparing something of similar width, these wheels are significantly more stable than my Light Bicycle WR50 based pair.
Thank you! Your ride is sublime Image

I'm running a set of AR55's on a bike with 59mm trail, and I am yet to experience a single
steering input from a gust on them. I was about to pull the trigger on a new set of WR50's for my gravel/audax rig, but now I'm mesmerised by the looks of these Ascents.Image

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TLN wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:54 pm
Looks very interesting. How much you paid for set with dt180?

I ended up paying US$2230 or so with currency conversion. Regular price is around $2480.

apr46

by apr46

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:05 pm
The Domane RSL is on my radar for sure, especially if the 130mm/40cm (37cm) Madone barstem Mads uses isn’t available to the public. I wouldn’t be able to get the Madone to work for me without going with a non-integrated solution.
I know that bike was just released and the base Domane wasnt that interesting as someone who would ride the 52cm and is into narrower bars, but then I saw the RSL. With the wider tires, longer wheelbase and wheels with more mass--the shorter trail just keeps the steering feedback balanced and complements these wheels really well.
Last edited by apr46 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

apr46

by apr46

wltz wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:06 pm
apr46 wrote:On a bike with higher trail you feel the wind push but its not sudden. On a bike with shorter trail, I dont feel it at all. I am small at 168cm and 57-58kg. Comparing something of similar width, these wheels are significantly more stable than my Light Bicycle WR50 based pair.
Thank you! Your ride is sublime Image

I'm running a set of AR55's on a bike with 59mm trail, and I am yet to experience a single
steering input from a gust on them. I was about to pull the trigger on a new set of WR50's for my gravel/audax rig, but now I'm mesmerised by the looks of these Ascents.Image
Thanks! The WR50 is a great rim. Ive ridden those LB rims a lot of miles and they are much more stable than the Rovals i had before (CLX64 and C38) but I tend to ride in some iffy conditions so have felt them flutter a little in some stronger gusts. Nothing to be concerned about but enough to notice.

The Polaris wheels are dead steady. I wouldnt use them for gravel though. Too deep and heavy. I think they have a shallower and much lighter version coming out though could be of interest.

andreas

by andreas

Have they changed the spoke-rim interface since Hambini reviewed them? I guess he may have a stake in the game since he offers discount codes for the wheels he recommends, but still it's concerning https://www.hambini.com/ascent-polaris- ... o-be-fast/

apr46

by apr46

andreas wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:40 pm
Have they changed the spoke-rim interface since Hambini reviewed them? I guess he may have a stake in the game since he offers discount codes for the wheels he recommends, but still it's concerning https://www.hambini.com/ascent-polaris- ... o-be-fast/
Ascent doesnt use those carbon spokes anymore. Everything is Sapim CXrays as far as I know. You should email them, their founder is really personable and quick to respond.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Pic looks nice, any more personal feedback? (especially given the numberous other brand deep wheels you've owned before)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 am
Pic looks nice, any more personal feedback? (especially given the numberous other brand deep wheels you've owned before)

Just the basics for now…haven’t ridden them enough. I feel greater sideforces with these vs SES 5.6s. However I also feel the predictability/controllability in gusty conditions is close enough that I can’t tell if one is better than the other without testing them back-to-back in the same conditions.

There may be some other sensations I’m feeling at higher speeds, but I need to ride a bit more…

Maddie

by Maddie

TobinHatesYou wrote:Image
That looks superhot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com