Ascent Polaris wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
User avatar
AscentBikes
in the industry
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 am
Contact:

by AscentBikes

alexroseinnes wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:01 am
Love these wheels, but the price in Aussie dollars has put them out of my budget. With import taxes they are like AU$4000 which is 1300 more than Dura Ace C60s. Into Enve an Cadex territory.
Alex,
Give us a bit of time - we're currently putting the finishing touches on our own hubs, and that will allow us to offer the Polaris at a much more accessible price point (quite a few hundred dollars less).
Will provide more details soon, but these will feature a full complement of NTN bearings, and 60 engagements.

-QX

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



alexroseinnes
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 am

by alexroseinnes

AscentBikes wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:42 pm
alexroseinnes wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:01 am
Love these wheels, but the price in Aussie dollars has put them out of my budget. With import taxes they are like AU$4000 which is 1300 more than Dura Ace C60s. Into Enve an Cadex territory.
Alex,
Give us a bit of time - we're currently putting the finishing touches on our own hubs, and that will allow us to offer the Polaris at a much more accessible price point (quite a few hundred dollars less).
Will provide more details soon, but these will feature a full complement of NTN bearings, and 60 engagements.

-QX
good news!

BigBoyND
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am

by BigBoyND

Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?

User avatar
AscentBikes
in the industry
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 am
Contact:

by AscentBikes

BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?
Hey V!
Right now we're sitting at 10ish grams above a DT240, so about 314g for the set F/R.
Of course it depends if you're using Shimano or XDR body.
We're looking at a full NTN bearing complement here - all 6 bearings are NTN.

It's a 5-pawl, 60 engagement design. Not a star ratchet. We work with one of our partners in China to get it made.
We've been testing it for the good part of a year now (myself included - I test all our products).

For reference, a Polaris 42 with our hubs would be around 1310-1320 grams, and a Polaris 69 will be 1610-1620 grams.
Will release pricing for these wheels soon, as well as more details.

Cheers
QX

cajer
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 am

by cajer

AscentBikes wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:13 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?
Hey V!
Right now we're sitting at 10ish grams above a DT240, so about 314g for the set F/R.
Of course it depends if you're using Shimano or XDR body.
We're looking at a full NTN bearing complement here - all 6 bearings are NTN.

It's a 5-pawl, 60 engagement design. Not a star ratchet. We work with one of our partners in China to get it made.
We've been testing it for the good part of a year now (myself included - I test all our products).

For reference, a Polaris 42 with our hubs would be around 1310-1320 grams, and a Polaris 69 will be 1610-1620 grams.
Will release pricing for these wheels soon, as well as more details.

Cheers
QX
Any chance of an aero hub?

User avatar
AscentBikes
in the industry
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 am
Contact:

by AscentBikes

cajer wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:15 pm
AscentBikes wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:13 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?
Hey V!
Right now we're sitting at 10ish grams above a DT240, so about 314g for the set F/R.
Of course it depends if you're using Shimano or XDR body.
We're looking at a full NTN bearing complement here - all 6 bearings are NTN.

It's a 5-pawl, 60 engagement design. Not a star ratchet. We work with one of our partners in China to get it made.
We've been testing it for the good part of a year now (myself included - I test all our products).

For reference, a Polaris 42 with our hubs would be around 1310-1320 grams, and a Polaris 69 will be 1610-1620 grams.
Will release pricing for these wheels soon, as well as more details.

Cheers
QX
Any chance of an aero hub?
Aero wasn't a priority for this hub design - the area presented to the wind is miniscule anyway, and it's in an area where the air is being chopped up by the spokes all the time. Of course, if you'd like to use your own aero hubs, we'd be happy to sell rims alone too!

QX

Vuong05
Posts: 289
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 am

by Vuong05

AscentBikes wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:13 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?
Hey V!
Right now we're sitting at 10ish grams above a DT240, so about 314g for the set F/R.
Of course it depends if you're using Shimano or XDR body.
We're looking at a full NTN bearing complement here - all 6 bearings are NTN.

It's a 5-pawl, 60 engagement design. Not a star ratchet. We work with one of our partners in China to get it made.
We've been testing it for the good part of a year now (myself included - I test all our products).

For reference, a Polaris 42 with our hubs would be around 1310-1320 grams, and a Polaris 69 will be 1610-1620 grams.
Will release pricing for these wheels soon, as well as more details.

Cheers
QX
Any updates on the new hubs? (e.g. weight, availability, design, etc...)
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

User avatar
AscentBikes
in the industry
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 am
Contact:

by AscentBikes

Vuong05 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:29 pm
AscentBikes wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:13 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:47 pm
Interesting note about the hubs. How will the weight compare? And are you willing to share who's internals they are? I assume one of the big Taiwanese manufacturers?
Hey V!
Right now we're sitting at 10ish grams above a DT240, so about 314g for the set F/R.
Of course it depends if you're using Shimano or XDR body.
We're looking at a full NTN bearing complement here - all 6 bearings are NTN.

It's a 5-pawl, 60 engagement design. Not a star ratchet. We work with one of our partners in China to get it made.
We've been testing it for the good part of a year now (myself included - I test all our products).

For reference, a Polaris 42 with our hubs would be around 1310-1320 grams, and a Polaris 69 will be 1610-1620 grams.
Will release pricing for these wheels soon, as well as more details.

Cheers
QX
Any updates on the new hubs? (e.g. weight, availability, design, etc...)
Hello Vuong,

Will be launching them around the end of the month. We had some shipment delays, but those have been resolved.
Give us two weeks to get stuff ready, and I'll post more about them here!

QX

BigBoyND
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am

by BigBoyND

I just found out about the EU Singapore Free Trade Agreement (EUSFTA). Does this mean consumer purchases are excluded from import duty? Or do EU customers have to pay import for Ascent wheels?

mrlobber
Posts: 1972
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:55 pm
I just found out about the EU Singapore Free Trade Agreement (EUSFTA). Does this mean consumer purchases are excluded from import duty? Or do EU customers have to pay import for Ascent wheels?
I certainly had to pay. Investigated that agreement, but it looked like bicycle parts are not mentioned as being excluded from import tariffs (and VAT would apply on top of it all anyway).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

BigBoyND
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am

by BigBoyND

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:29 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:55 pm
I just found out about the EU Singapore Free Trade Agreement (EUSFTA). Does this mean consumer purchases are excluded from import duty? Or do EU customers have to pay import for Ascent wheels?
I certainly had to pay. Investigated that agreement, but it looked like bicycle parts are not mentioned as being excluded from import tariffs (and VAT would apply on top of it all anyway).
How much were tariffs+VAT?

User avatar
AscentBikes
in the industry
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 am
Contact:

by AscentBikes

Ok, as far as I'm aware, there is zero import tariff into the EU from Singapore.
However, the VAT differs by country and is usually between 19 to 21%

mrlobber
Posts: 1972
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:36 am
Location: Where the permanent autumn is

by mrlobber

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:15 pm
How much were tariffs+VAT?
4.7% import tax + 21% VAT on top of it, together additional 26.7%
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

BigBoyND
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am

by BigBoyND

😳

BigBoyND
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am

by BigBoyND

Has anyone bought the 69 with Ascent hubs? If so, how are you finding them?

Pulled the trigger and really looking forward to them! On paper, they're exactly what I want. 60mm+ deep, wide enough for 32mm tires meeting 105-rule, and quite light for the size and price.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply