(Hookless) What PSI do you run and have you ever blown a tire off?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
MysticRiver

by MysticRiver

70 PSI & no.

warthog101

by warthog101

55-65psi 28mm f and 32mm r on 25mm int wheels.
ETRTO compliant wheels and tyres.
No.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hartox

by hartox

55-60 psi with 28mm tires and a 23mm (internal) rim.
No.

Omiar

by Omiar

Zipp 404 FC, 61 PSI, 28mm tire.
No.

Zipp 303S, 30.5 PSI, 38mm tire.
No.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A guy here had a tire come off last week. Yes, he crashed. Don't know what wheels or tires. Heard it from a mech in a bike shop.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bananastand

by bananastand

28mm tires at 71 rear 63 front
Enve 4.5 AR 25mm internal

No blowoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StanleyM

by StanleyM

Tryna remember which video...but I saw a clip recently where a guy snapped his chain under load. As he struggled to then stay on the bike and turned the bars hard....the front tire rolled right off the rim! He may or may not have crashed anyway of course. The sudden lateral load seems to have been the cause of the roll off. Pssshh.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:25 pm
A guy here had a tire come off last week. Yes, he crashed. Don't know what wheels or tires. Heard it from a mech in a bike shop.
A tubeless tire? For that to happen the tire or rim must have been out of spec. I can't see how with the tire beads on the bead seats it could stretch up over the sidewall.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

StanleyM wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:44 pm
Tryna remember which video...but I saw a clip recently where a guy snapped his chain under load. As he struggled to then stay on the bike and turned the bars hard....the front tire rolled right off the rim! He may or may not have crashed anyway of course. The sudden lateral load seems to have been the cause of the roll off. Pssshh.
He didn't have enough air in the tire to give it sufficient support. MTBers learned long ago that while low pressure is great for comfort and grip you need enough support for hard cornering without burping a tire.

wilwil

by wilwil

Whats the advantage of rimless?

pmprego

by pmprego

Couple of weeks ago a women crashed hard on the track when a tire came off her tubular wheel. Screw tubulars, right?

js

by js

I've been on tubeless for several years and hookless for the last three. As a bigger rider (192/90), I run 70 or 75psi. Never had anything but great riding wheels, lighter weight rims and self-sealing punctures from this set-up.

It often takes going to 100psi or slightly over to get the new tires to fully seat on the rim, so I can't imagine how high you'd need to go achieve a blow off. Worth paying attention during that process though - that's an important indicatory of a safe system.

If 'a mech in a bike shop' is telling tales of someone rolling a tubeless tire, I have to assume 'a mech in a bike shop' could have noticed that set-up was fully seated way too early (sub 50psi I'd guess), suggesting something was out of spec. Or someone wasn't actually using tires with a tubeless bead.

StanleyM

by StanleyM

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:09 pm
StanleyM wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:44 pm
He didn't have enough air in the tire to give it sufficient support. MTBers learned long ago that while low pressure is great for comfort and grip you need enough support for hard cornering without burping a tire.
I'll see if I can find the clip. Well maintained bike with an experienced cyclist. Sudden steering inputs during crash avoidance and voila the front tire suddenly came off compounding matters. If hookless has a 72 psi cap,...what is the safe minimum? I guess if you get a puncture that self-seals you must stop and immediately air up ASAP too.
Last edited by StanleyM on Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TLN

by TLN

js wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:45 pm
I've been on tubeless for several years and hookless for the last three. As a bigger rider (192/90), I run 70 or 75psi. Never had anything but great riding wheels, lighter weight rims and self-sealing punctures from this set-up.

It often takes going to 100psi or slightly over to get the new tires to fully seat on the rim, so I can't imagine how high you'd need to go achieve a blow off. Worth paying attention during that process though - that's an important indicatory of a safe system.

If 'a mech in a bike shop' is telling tales of someone rolling a tubeless tire, I have to assume 'a mech in a bike shop' could have noticed that set-up was fully seated way too early (sub 50psi I'd guess), suggesting something was out of spec. Or someone wasn't actually using tires with a tubeless bead.
I hope you're not running hookless with that pressure
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

js

by js

Yes, but on hookless rims rated at 100psi max, when running a 25mm tire.

At 90kg, if I run 60-65psi or less, I can feel the rim bottom out on potholes or rougher sections of road from time to time. Most tire pressure calculators (the one's I'd trust at least) suggest 80psi or more, but I'm quite happy with my numbers. They're well earned and well proven, and I'm not on tires with their own lower limit.
Last edited by js on Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com