Worlds lightest future proof wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
veloandreas

by veloandreas

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:03 pm
veloandreas wrote: About disc brake tubulars: i soon should have access to a version at around 780g (same hubs and spokes as shown here)
I'll be interested! Let me know the details especially regarding the rims and price.

I have a set of berd spokes wheels at 943g, but the Carbon-ti hubs on it are heavier for sure. The Berd spokes are pretty much unbreakable, I tried sawing a spare one with a knife and nothing happened, and given its inherently elasticity it should hold up better upon impact compared to a more brittle material. But lacing the Berd spokes are a pain, and require rounds of tensioning and resting.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
the tubular rims will be 23mm wide and 25 deep. Between 195g and 210g! A full wheelset (extralite, carbon spokes) will be under 2000 dollars! Contact me (veloandreas) or brisk wheels on instagram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

eucalyptus wrote:Isnt berd spokes lighter than carbon spokes?
The most important part is that they won’t be a noodle like the Berd.
I have some doubts on those bonded spokes (that have the benefit of being compatible with any hub) versus the ones with mechanical locking (Cadex, hyper…).

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.

Aeo

by Aeo

The ENVE rims are too narrow. 25mm outer is not acceptable. Also, hookless for road is still problematic
SES-2.3_Spec_Sheet-1.jpg
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Aeo wrote:The ENVE rims are too narrow. 25mm outer is not acceptable. Also, hookless for road is still problematic
SES-2.3_Spec_Sheet-1.jpg
Setting aside the hookless question, too narrow for what application?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Aeo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:51 am
The ENVE rims are too narrow. 25mm outer is not acceptable. Also, hookless for road is still problematic
Nowadays some people still use Kinlin XR200, which is merely 18mm wide. You can't always benefit much from wide rims and 2.3 is for ascending.

veloandreas

by veloandreas

Aeo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:51 am

SES-2.3_Spec_Sheet-1.jpg
you have to consider that these are the wheels to climb. there is a full range of wheels from enve for every terrain. So it makes absolute sense to save weight instead of blowing up the rim. Inner 21mm is the most common dimension today on the road. The outer of 25mm is the result of making the lightest rims possible. As the rims are tubeless only, the "non hooks" can be thinner because of the 6.2bar/90psi limitation. Win win.
All other (deeper) rims in the lineup are 25mm inside and 32 outside.

Aeo

by Aeo

The thread title includes "future proof". I do not think that there is a debate about 25mm wide rims being considered contemporary.

Yes, it was inevitable that a company would leverage hookless technology and outer dimensions from the rim brake bike era to create light rims. They are also available from chinese vendors, for example:
https://www.deerobust.com/30mm-road-car ... width.html
https://www.deerobust.com/40mm-road-car ... width.html

Climbing wheels, yes. Unless you are in a hill climb competition, climbing will also include descending. Wide rims encourage safe and fast descending.

Building wheels for right now and the future, rims should be 27.5-28mm minimum, better 29 or 30mm wide.
Side note, rims with drilled holes in the channel mean the effective rim weight is +10 grams because rim tape is unavoidable.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Lina

by Lina

How is 25 mm not acceptable for road rims? Yeah for optimum aero you might want it slightly wider but the 2.3 isn't designed for aero anyway so it doesn't matter.

MikeD

by MikeD

Define "future proof." Thw whole notion seems rediculous for a product that wears out and standards change.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Future proof is way to sell a product for those that believe anything will be around in 10 years. In a decade, it will all be different.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aeo wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:35 pm
The thread title includes "future proof". I do not think that there is a debate about 25mm wide rims being considered contemporary.

Yes, it was inevitable that a company would leverage hookless technology and outer dimensions from the rim brake bike era to create light rims. They are also available from chinese vendors, for example:
https://www.deerobust.com/30mm-road-car ... width.html
https://www.deerobust.com/40mm-road-car ... width.html

Climbing wheels, yes. Unless you are in a hill climb competition, climbing will also include descending. Wide rims encourage safe and fast descending.

Building wheels for right now and the future, rims should be 27.5-28mm minimum, better 29 or 30mm wide.
Side note, rims with drilled holes in the channel mean the effective rim weight is +10 grams because rim tape is unavoidable.
You don't need such wide rims if you skip that so called aero-effect! A climbing wheel should not be compared with a 60mm deep aero rim.

Wide rim for fast descending, so that is to say all rims used in the past are dangerous when descending?
This arguement doesn't hold up!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

OP is just trying to say he managed to build lightweight tubeless wheelsets, there's no need to go into the semantics of a forum title ffs. I used to ride on 19mm tubulars and am running 21mm front and 23mm rear now, I think that's good enough because I want a light wheelset. If you want your 28mm wide wheels, go ahead and get that 1.2kg wheelset then...

veloandreas

by veloandreas

MikeD wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm
Define "future proof." Thw whole notion seems rediculous for a product that wears out and standards change.
holy cow. I was not aware of the language in this forum. I was expecting great conversations with other cycling obsessed guys. Instead the focus is on: "mom, i have found a error in the description"! whats going on here??

veloandreas

by veloandreas

Kayrehn wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm
OP is just trying to say he managed to build lightweight tubeless wheelsets, there's no need to go into the semantics of a forum title ffs. I used to ride on 19mm tubulars and am running 21mm front and 23mm rear now, I think that's good enough because I want a light wheelset. If you want your 28mm wide wheels, go ahead and get that 1.2kg wheelset then... thank you for pointing out. I was not aware of the language here.. next time i ask everyone for the right title :D

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

veloandreas wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:23 pm
MikeD wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm
holy cow. I was not aware of the language in this forum. I was expecting great conversations with other cycling obsessed guys. Instead the focus is on: "mom, i have found a error in the description"! whats going on here??
These types of people are everywhere! Don't let it get to you :beerchug:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com